Phuket tourist safety gets 300 CCTV camera boost in Patong

webfact

Phuket tourist safety gets 300 CCTV camera boost in Patong
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The push by Phuket authorities to increase tourist safety across the island has received a much welcome boost with Patong CCTV control rooms now up and running.

The new system, launched as part of the Patong Safety Zone initiative (story here), displays footage from 32 high-quality police CCTV cameras and 300 private CCTV systems at three central locations, Patong Police Deputy Superintendent Akanit Danpitaksat confirmed to the Phuket Gazette.

“They are all connected to three control rooms in Patong: one at the Patong Police station, one at the Patong Municipality building and one at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation of Patong Municipality office,” Lt Col Akanit said.

The police CCTV cameras were installed in crowded areas and places considered to be crime prone, such as Soi Bangla, Sainamyen Road, Nanai Road and Kalim Road.

“We are now asking private entities to provide us with access to any new CCTV cameras installed so we can all work together to ensure the safety of the public,” Col Akanit said.

“If anyone is even considering committing a crime in Patong, know that you are being watched by us and our citizens – you cannot hide from us,” he warned.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-tourist-safety-gets-300-CCTV-camera-boost-in-Patong-21357.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-17

The original report http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16565.html states:" Once the system is in operation, anyone will be able to log in and view live CCTV footage through their computers, iPads, tablets and even mobile phones.

“People will need to contact Patong Police Station first to set up a log-in account and password, but after that they will be able to monitor the CCTV footage via their phones from anywhere,” Gen Chonasit explained."

What happened to that?

The original report http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16565.html states:" Once the system is in operation, anyone will be able to log in and view live CCTV footage through their computers, iPads, tablets and even mobile phones.

“People will need to contact Patong Police Station first to set up a log-in account and password, but after that they will be able to monitor the CCTV footage via their phones from anywhere,” Gen Chonasit explained."

What happened to that?

That would remove the option for the police to decide which crimes the cameras record. whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Oh ok....That's it then. No more Slow Loris problems, no more ladyboy gold snatches, no more strong arm assaults, no more ping pong touts crowding the street shoulder to shoulder blocking the road..... This all comes to a great relief that all this riffraff will go away when the cameras go up. Such a simple thought. Why didn't they do this years ago??

I'm hoping you all pick up the sarcasm.

Give me a break. Spy cameras will not help anyone, except the people selling. If you want to improve the lot of tourists in Phuket fix the roads, tame the cowboys, and install more garbage bins. People in uniform love to spy on non-uniforms, in comfort.

They have those cameras here on Jomtien beach. No one watches them, I don't think they are even connected to anything. But they did serve as an excuse to cut down more shade trees in free bench sitting areas so that the umbrella mafia could maybe get a few more baht from those who want shade. That along with removing many many free benches, which the police informed me was for "crime surpression". I said in 7-8 years NEVER seen a crime on those benches, maybe arranged for one (prostitution is illegal, right?).

High Quality Police CCTV cameras not made in China? My guess is that most of these high quality cameras with either be not working, not monitored, or just powered down during a crime committed in the area. Just an opinion, I could be wrong.

Working or not, CCTV cameras in public places generally does not prevent crime. The data is pretty clear on this. Instead, we are building a nightmare society, in my opinion.

Quoting The Telegraph: "Fewer than one crime is solved by every 1,000 closed circuit television cameras, the Metropolitan Police, Britain's biggest police force, has admitted."

Quoting "Home office research study 252" by Brandon C. Welsh and David P. Farrington: "Overall, the best current evidence suggests that CCTV reduces crime to a small degree. CCTV is most effective in reducing vehicle crime in car parks, but it had little or no effect on crime in public transport and city centre settings."

An opportunity to put public money in someone's pocket shouldn't be confused with a serious assault on crime. Phuket's problems are deeply imbedded social issues: some fancy new hardware isn't going to have much impact. But by all means be sure and smile for the cameras!

Give me a break. Spy cameras will not help anyone, except the people selling. If you want to improve the lot of tourists in Phuket fix the roads, tame the cowboys, and install more garbage bins. People in uniform love to spy on non-uniforms, in comfort.

Of course. But, you are talking about solutions to long standing problems. Why create a solution? Who does that help?