Long Overstay

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bring this thread back. But I have a friend on overstay (yes it actually is a friend and not me lol) He's on a 5 month overstay and wants to know how to fix it. There seems to be a lot of back and forth on this issue. I know he has to pay the 20,000 when he leaves at the airport, but can he do it at a border crossing like some said and they want you to have an out going flight. So does the flight have to be back home or can it be to another country like Laos or somewhere else in SE Asian?

He can leave the country at any border. It doesn't have to be an airport, but it is recommended especially in case of a very long overstay. The reason for the airport is a simple one, they will try to let you catch your airplane and don't hold you up to long if not necesarry. At a land border there is no time pressure, also there are les risks of being checked on the way to the border.

A ticket out is needed, not to your homecountry. Only when you are arrested and deported do you need a ticket out to your home country.

• Like 1

Sorry to bring this thread back. But I have a friend on overstay (yes it actually is a friend and not me lol) He's on a 5 month overstay and wants to know how to fix it. There seems to be a lot of back and forth on this issue. I know he has to pay the 20,000 when he leaves at the airport, but can he do it at a border crossing like some said and they want you to have an out going flight. So does the flight have to be back home or can it be to another country like Laos or somewhere else in SE Asian?

He can leave the country at any border. It doesn't have to be an airport, but it is recommended especially in case of a very long overstay. The reason for the airport is a simple one, they will try to let you catch your airplane and don't hold you up to long if not necesarry. At a land border there is no time pressure, also there are les risks of being checked on the way to the border.

A ticket out is needed, not to your homecountry. Only when you are arrested and deported do you need a ticket out to your home country.

Ok thanks for the info. He's so far 5 months overstay last he said. Wonder if that will change anything. I'll let him know, thanks again.

Hi All,

I started this thread to begin with. I just left Thailand last week with an overstay of 1985 days. Immigration at the airport did not even blink. I paid 20000 baht, got my receipt and left. They didn't even ask me one question. Very polite and nice. To all the guys yapping about how you will go to jail, won't happen. Costs them more to put you in jail, than collect an overstay fine. And that's the truth.

• Like 2

Hi All,

I started this thread to begin with. I just left Thailand last week with an overstay of 1985 days. Immigration at the airport did not even blink. I paid 20000 baht, got my receipt and left. They didn't even ask me one question. Very polite and nice. To all the guys yapping about how you will go to jail, won't happen. Costs them more to put you in jail, than collect an overstay fine. And that's the truth.

Great news.

Yep exactly what I was saying above in my rant.

• Like 1

The last post said long overstayer left Thailand recently and simply paid fine at the airport: that goes against what I heard

from a lawyer - who said that now one should go to Immigration office first to pay fine plus THB1900 for a 7 day extension before trying

to leave.......Which is better? Is it safer the latter way? I read that a new law in force since 2012 imposing detention if o/stay

exceeds 42 days.

However, comments here seem to show it is not being enforced very much, or as stated by lawyer, only if person has been 'guilty'

of other things..? Not sure what that means either in specific Thai legal terms - prosecuted offences or just a dispute with a landlord about

a broken window for example!

A warrant for a criminal offences is what he meant. It certainly would not be for a disagreement with a landlord unless they went through the process of getting charges brought against you.

Most that get locked up were caught with an overstay and didn't have the money to pay the fine.

Voluntary payment on departure or at immigration is not going to get you locked up unless you did have a warrant out for you.

• Like 1

This was 20 years ago, but an acquaintance of mine had overstayed over a year. He went to the Koh Samui Immigration Office and paid his ฿20,000 and they stamped his passport and gave him 3 days to leave the country. He overstayed that by three days went to Malaysia paid the overstay charge (I believe at that time it was ฿100 or ฿200 a day) went to Penang applied for a new visa and came right back.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

20K Bt. must have been nice money (in Thai terms) 20 years ago. We are luckly they updated all the immigration fines but not that.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

No, he did not have his old passport as he had lost it. No idea why you would jump to such a ridiculous conclusion that I would post BS.

Me neither would dare to think that, just looking at the blue label under you avatar :)

• 3 months later...

I assisted a guy in your position last year, he eventually got help from Thai Visa sponsor Sunbelt Asia. Send then an email and they will make sure all is O.K. for you. Costs about 4,000 baht and they walk you through the whole process.

[email protected]

indeed, tack another 4k on that bill.

"indeed, tack another 4k on that bill."

I just spoke to the guy, it cost him 4,280 baht for the sunbelt service plus 1,000 baht at the airport, total 5,280 baht. The fine of 20,000 baht was, of course, extra.

could you give me your phone number? I have a friend getting this issue.