Meeting Thai Girlfriend in Bahrain

Hello to everyone, i am new to the site and am looking for a little information regarding my Thai girlfriend travelling to Bahrain. Can anyone tell me if they know of any problems she might face on entering Bahrain when travelling alone from Thailand also any questions she may get asked.

She has a hotel booking in her name, travel insurance and spending money (Is there a certain amount she will need to take in cash).

Her first problem might occur when she leaves Thailand. Single ladies flying to Bahrain are often subject to intense questioning by Thai immigration as many girls try to go there to work in various occupations. There has recently been some high profile newspaper articles on people trafficking to Bahrain, and Thai girls working in bars and hotels. It is likely that she will questioned on arrival in Bahrain, and if she doesn't speak English or Arabic, she may need some assistance. She is certainly going to be asked why she has chosen Bahrain as a holiday destination, as it is not really a tourist spot.

Her first problem might occur when she leaves Thailand. Single ladies flying to Bahrain are often subject to intense questioning by Thai immigration as many girls try to go there to work in various occupations. There has recently been some high profile newspaper articles on people trafficking to Bahrain, and Thai girls working in bars and hotels. It is likely that she will questioned on arrival in Bahrain, and if she doesn't speak English or Arabic, she may need some assistance. She is certainly going to be asked why she has chosen Bahrain as a holiday destination, as it is not really a tourist spot.

Hi Tony, thanks' for your reply i am currently working in Saudi Arabia and as you know there is not chance of meeting her here. I have been told by a few people that she would have no problem getting into Bahrain. She does speak English, i also went to have a look in Bahrain myself last weekend and there are many tourists there. I have checked the Thai visa website and it says that a Thai can get a visa upon arrival for 14 days which is fine as she is staying 10 days.

Hi Tony, thanks' for your reply i am currently working in Saudi Arabia and as you know there is not chance of meeting her here. I have been told by a few people that she would have no problem getting into Bahrain. She does speak English, i also went to have a look in Bahrain myself last weekend and there are many tourists there. I have checked the Thai visa website and it says that a Thai can get a visa upon arrival for 14 days which is fine as she is staying 10 days.

Yes, it's visa free for 14 days for Thai nationals. When I was working in Bahrain, my wife came to visit me there. She was questioned by Thai immigration at the airport before leaving, and ended up calling me in Bahrain so that Thai Immigration could speak to me. Fortunately, she had my business card with her, and Thai immigration accepted that she was a genuine visitor. As I worked at Bahrain airport, I am very aware of what can happen to single ladies, including Thai ladies, when arriving there. Bahrain immigration have a job to do, and they have been criticised on occasion for allowing young, single ladies into the Kingdom to work. It would be a good idea for you to meet her at the airport, or at least be available by phone if she needs to talk with you.

• Like 2

I will be meeting her at the airport and will also be available on the phone. I was wondering if it would be ok for her to say she is meeting her boyfriend as it is a Muslim Country.

I will be meeting her at the airport and will also be available on the phone. I was wondering if it would be ok for her to say she is meeting her boyfriend as it is a Muslim Country.

Bahrain is no too strict. Just say you are staying in separate rooms in you are worried. But, from experience, you should be okay.

• Like 1

Bahrain is no too strict. Just say you are staying in separate rooms in you are worried. But, from experience, you should be okay.

Ok thank you smile.png .

Ok thank you smile.png .

I think Bahrain charges you an entry/visa fee when you go through immigration at the airport. From memory, the officer asks how many nights and then tells you how much. I haven't been there since 2010 so might have changed but suggest you check. The last time I was there it was credit card payment only too. (It was free entry if you drove over the bridge from Saudi).

Sorry I can't be more informative, but worth checking so your gf is prepared. I will be going to Bahrain but not till late August so can't confirm.

• Like 1

Wow-- I do not know if I would want my Asian girlfriend to fly alone to Bahrain. I once worked in Saudi for 8 years and would go to Bahrain for r&r. There is an area for tourists where the hotels serve beer and turn the other eye with what is going on but the rest of Bahrain is very conservative. Hopefully you have checked to make sure a Thai does not need a visa. Next, you girlfriend should NOT say she is going to meet her "boyfriend". The Bahrain officials will already think she is a "commercial girl" (with Arabs, that is always on their mind.) If you are going to be at the airport to meet her then that is great; next, make sure it is ok to check into a hotel with her not being married. Next time, u fly to Thailand to see her, easier and less stress.

• Like 1

Wow-- I do not know if I would want my Asian girlfriend to fly alone to Bahrain. I once worked in Saudi for 8 years and would go to Bahrain for r&r. There is an area for tourists where the hotels serve beer and turn the other eye with what is going on but the rest of Bahrain is very conservative. Hopefully you have checked to make sure a Thai does not need a visa. Next, you girlfriend should NOT say she is going to meet her "boyfriend". The Bahrain officials will already think she is a "commercial girl" (with Arabs, that is always on their mind.) If you are going to be at the airport to meet her then that is great; next, make sure it is ok to check into a hotel with her not being married. Next time, u fly to Thailand to see her, easier and less stress.

Thanks' for the info i will check.

Ok thank you smile.png .

I think Bahrain charges you an entry/visa fee when you go through immigration at the airport. From memory, the officer asks how many nights and then tells you how much. I haven't been there since 2010 so might have changed but suggest you check. The last time I was there it was credit card payment only too. (It was free entry if you drove over the bridge from Saudi).

Sorry I can't be more informative, but worth checking so your gf is prepared. I will be going to Bahrain but not till late August so can't confirm.

I have read they charge 5 BHD.

A troll post and replies removed. Any more suggestions of the ops and girl friend's motives like that again will find the member suspended.

Thank you, i joined this site to ask a legitimate question.

Thank you to everyone for replying, if anyone else has any advice for me on this subject please don't hesitate to post a reply.

From the Bahrain e-visa website, I entered details for a Thai national visit visa......

Conditions for Visit Visa

The Visit Visa is only granted subject to the following terms and conditions.

Fees:

Total fee: BD 0.000 (payable on submitting the application)

Grant conditions:

• The visa is issued on arrival at any entry point for the Kingdom of Bahrain.

• The visa fee is paid to the Passport Officer on arrival in Bahrain, and a receipt is issued.

• Your entry must not violate the security and national welfare of Bahrain.

• Nationals of Thailand are exempt from paying the visa fee.

Entry conditions:

• You must not take up paid employment during your visit to Bahrain.

• You must be able to support yourself (and any dependents) during the visit.

• Passport must be valid for length of time you will be in Bahrain, or the length of the visa, whichever is longer.

If your passport validity is in doubt, you may be denied entry to Bahrain.

Stay conditions:

• The visa can be used only once, for a single entry.

• Length of stay allowed is 2 weeks (or longer for some nationalities).

Extension conditions:

• This visa may be extended at NPRA in Bahrain on payment of a fee.

• Like 1

I spent many hears working in Saudi and using Manama as my R&R and flight departure. You diffidently need to be at the airport to meet her.

you say she is to be there for ten days. I hope for her that your going to be with her for all this time. This is not the place for her to be on her own..

also the hotel needs to be 4 star or better to get away from potential trouble. Take care of her and she should be ok. Bahrain is a very interesting place and quite a few very excellent expat venues to attend. Cheers.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for replying, if anyone else has any advice for me on this subject please don't hesitate to post a reply.

From the Bahrain e-visa website, I entered details for a Thai national visit visa......

Conditions for Visit Visa

The Visit Visa is only granted subject to the following terms and conditions.

Fees:

Total fee: BD 0.000 (payable on submitting the application)

Grant conditions:

• The visa is issued on arrival at any entry point for the Kingdom of Bahrain.

• The visa fee is paid to the Passport Officer on arrival in Bahrain, and a receipt is issued.

• Your entry must not violate the security and national welfare of Bahrain.

• Nationals of Thailand are exempt from paying the visa fee.

Entry conditions:

• You must not take up paid employment during your visit to Bahrain.

• You must be able to support yourself (and any dependents) during the visit.

• Passport must be valid for length of time you will be in Bahrain, or the length of the visa, whichever is longer.

If your passport validity is in doubt, you may be denied entry to Bahrain.

Stay conditions:

• The visa can be used only once, for a single entry.

• Length of stay allowed is 2 weeks (or longer for some nationalities).

Extension conditions:

• This visa may be extended at NPRA in Bahrain on payment of a fee.

Thank you for the info.

I spent many hears working in Saudi and using Manama as my R&R and flight departure. You diffidently need to be at the airport to meet her.

you say she is to be there for ten days. I hope for her that your going to be with her for all this time. This is not the place for her to be on her own..

also the hotel needs to be 4 star or better to get away from potential trouble. Take care of her and she should be ok. Bahrain is a very interesting place and quite a few very excellent expat venues to attend. Cheers.

Yes i am meeting her at the airport and will be staying with her all the time until she leaves. We will be staying at the Al Manzil Suites one, it's in Jufffair Manama do you or anyone else know it ?

• Like 1

Yes i am meeting her at the airport and will be staying with her all the time until she leaves. We will be staying at the Al Manzil Suites one, it's in Jufffair Manama do you or anyone else know it ?

ur only couple blocks from on of my favorites.

Ric's Kountry Kitchen

http://www.timeoutbahrain.com/restaurants/reviews/5430-rics-kountry-kitchen#.UcGFJufI1xU

• Like 1

It's fairly close to the Grand Mosque, but there is plenty of ex-pat stuff around, hotels, discos and restaurants ( when are you going, as everything - bars, discos - will close down for Ramadan next month ?). I notice the hotel says there might be a charge for extra guests, which makes it sound like they are guest friendly. If you are concerned, then send them a quick email, but I don't think you will have a problem.

• Like 1

It's fairly close to the Grand Mosque, but there is plenty of ex-pat stuff around, hotels, discos and restaurants ( when are you going, as everything - bars, discos - will close down for Ramadan next month ?). I notice the hotel says there might be a charge for extra guests, which makes it sound like they are guest friendly. If you are concerned, then send them a quick email, but I don't think you will have a problem.

We go next week (would not go during Ramadan) i have booked a suite for 2 guests already. Can you recommend any good bars etc, also thank you for all the info you have given me.

Hotels almost never check to see if a couple is married from my experience in Bahrain over the last almost 10 years

• Like 1

Hi,

I work in Saudi myself. My wife is Thai and I met her in Bahrain.

1. As has been mentioned the visa is free
  2. You WILL have to be at the airport, on the ground floor is an office for the Bahrain Finance Company, I mention this because the immigration may want to see your passport as she is your guest. They will take your passport up to the immigration if required and charge you 5BD for the service.
  3. As is mentioned she will be interrogated by Thai officials, be available to talk to them on the phone when your GF is due to go through Thai immigration. Also if you have time send a letter to her addressed to the immigration explaining who you are and that she is coming to see you, send a copy of your passport as well.
  4. As long as you have booked a double room you will have no problems, they may want to see her passport but no problem about not being married.

Other wise there is no problem, enjoy your holiday :-)

• Like 2

Kanoo Travel do a meet and greet service for BD15 I think, will walk her through for you. Arrange beforehand through their airport office.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Hi,

I work in Saudi myself. My wife is Thai and I met her in Bahrain.

1. As has been mentioned the visa is free
  2. You WILL have to be at the airport, on the ground floor is an office for the Bahrain Finance Company, I mention this because the immigration may want to see your passport as she is your guest. They will take your passport up to the immigration if required and charge you 5BD for the service.
  3. As is mentioned she will be interrogated by Thai officials, be available to talk to them on the phone when your GF is due to go through Thai immigration. Also if you have time send a letter to her addressed to the immigration explaining who you are and that she is coming to see you, send a copy of your passport as well.
  4. As long as you have booked a double room you will have no problems, they may want to see her passport but no problem about not being married.

Other wise there is no problem, enjoy your holiday :-)

Hi David, thanks' for the info. I will send her a copy of my Passport, can i just write a letter by email ?

Kanoo Travel do a meet and greet service for BD15 I think, will walk her through for you. Arrange beforehand through their airport office.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi Chicog, i will look into this thanks'.