Anti Virus Software

tutsiwarrior

I just bought a new laptop running on Windows XP Home. It was purchased with an installed version of Norton that needed to be renewed (ie., paid for) after 30 days or so. Someone said that Norton ain't so hot and that there is free and more effective anti virus software that can be downloaded from the net.

What is the best option? I got email accounts with hotmail and Yahoo from which I need to download attachments (not big) on occasion. They use standard anti virus software to scan before advising to proceed with download. Do I got to be compatibile (ie., with the same anti virus software) with them to download attachments?

Please advise.

(please limit the technical language...ah's an engineer but I ain't no computer teckkie...)

I used to use Nortons Antivirus. According to all the latest computer mag reviews, it's rated up there as one of the best, albeit a little slow in scanning. But this is because it does a thorough job. I've also tried NOD32, which is also excellent but it takes a bit of 'know how' & time to set up appropriately.

I currently use AVG Free Edition, Zonealarm Free (firewall) & Microsoft Anti Spyware (by Giant).

Of course, these programs will have reduced effect of protection unless you go into them & set them up properly (which most people don't seem to do).

And yes, Windows Firewall is crap.

Nortons is crap.

I used to work helpdesk for a major ISP in the west, you would not believe how many times I would say to a customer

Me: "You have Nortons AV installed don't you?"

Custoemr: "Yes, how did you know?"

Me: "It is what has screwed your email and internet - you need to delete it then reinstall it and update it properly then call back and we can fix your internet settings, no sorry I cannot help you as it is not a product we sell, try calling Nortons helpdesk."

This happened so many times you would not believe it.

I use and recommend AVG free edition it updates more often than nortons, does not slow your computer down as much and is free.

For a paid for program I would recommend Trend Micro PC-Cillin, I have not seen the current version but in the past it was always an excellent program.

Also to note is that Norton do not write all their own programs they buy them and cement them together with home written code, this may be a cuase of some difficulties in the past and possibly now.