Bathroom Hot Water Heater Problem ... any clues?

Jingthing

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you check to see if there is hot water at the washer. Set it to HOT wash and see. If its not. I would think the problem has to be the heater or at the point where the cold splits out to the heater since the pressure at that point is high on the cold side.

I agree a good clue. But I'm still confused. I did a cold load today and it was cold. Yesterday I did a hot load and the clothes felt warm for a few seconds but the pipes I felt didn't feel hot at all. There is no indicator light on the heater on the outside of on or off.

Uhm... a lot of washer brands will heat their own water. IE: not need hot water input. Again, I would check that cut-off valve for the hot water out.

Aha. I hadn't thought of that. Is that common for washing machines to make their own hot water? My model I reckon is 10 years oldish.

Did you check to see if there is hot water at the washer. Set it to HOT wash and see. If its not. I would think the problem has to be the heater or at the point where the cold splits out to the heater since the pressure at that point is high on the cold side.

I agree a good clue. But I'm still confused. I did a cold load today and it was cold. Yesterday I did a hot load and the clothes felt warm for a few seconds but the pipes I felt didn't feel hot at all. There is no indicator light on the heater on the outside of on or off.

Uhm... a lot of washer brands will heat their own water. IE: not need hot water input. Again, I would check that cut-off valve for the hot water out.

Aha. I hadn't thought of that. Is that common for washing machines to make their own hot water? My model I reckon is 10 years oldish.

Not common in Thailand. Guess being 10 years old a manual is out of the question though may find it on the Internet.

OP, just pay some Thai electrcian/plumber/farmer 100 Baht to fix it already wink.png

100 baht. That's hilarious.

yeh, guess it is a bit OTT - a couple of warm bottles of cheap beer would do it :)

Easy way to check the washing machine

is to look behind the unit and see if it has

1 or 2 water supply pipes.

If only 1 pipe (Blue) then it has a built in heater element.

If 2 pipes (Red & Blue) then it relies on an external hot water supply.

Edited by sotsira

Is your washer a top-loader or a front-loader?

I don't think I've ever seen a top-loader in Thailand with a water heater nor ever seen a front loader without a water heater.

^^^^

Well at least that would make the trip worthwhile. Beautiful home you have there.... or were you going to put me to work as well?

Wellllll, wifey's new chicken palace needs rendering :)

^^^^

Well at least that would make the trip worthwhile. Beautiful home you have there.... or were you going to put me to work as well?

Wellllll, wifey's new chicken palace needs rendering smile.png

biggrin.png

JT - You obviously missed out on the handyman gene at birth. I'm in Jomtien and would be happy to give you a hand to rip it all apart, clean what needs to be cleaned, replace what needs to be replaced, and give you a few tips on water pressure management. I clean the aerators in my washing machine and taps once a month because of the crud that builds up.

I know it may seem like rocket science to you, but it's really a "do it in between the adverts on television" sort of job. My labour and tool rental costs equate to 1 small Singha per hour (or part thereof). Genuine offer Mate smile.png

wai2.gif

JT - You obviously missed out on the handyman gene at birth. I'm in Jomtien and would be happy to give you a hand to rip it all apart, clean what needs to be cleaned, replace what needs to be replaced, and give you a few tips on water pressure management. I clean the aerators in my washing machine and taps once a month because of the crud that builds up.

I know it may seem like rocket science to you, but it's really a "do it in between the adverts on television" sort of job. My labour and tool rental costs equate to 1 small Singha per hour (or part thereof). Genuine offer Mate smile.png

Thanks for the generous offer. I would have tried you out but I had a service person in anyway for something more serious and directed him to check for blockage in the pipes/filters. He did so and fixed the problem. So I'm sorted.drunk.gif

Thanks to everyone for your feedback here. What a great resource.

Interestingly the hot water pressure is still quite low but it turns on the water heater and that's all I care about. I don't need high pressure for hot water, but I do want hot water!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What a great resource.

42k posts JT and you've only just realised sad.png

Yes but I meant this do it yourself thingie.

Good innit?

Glad you're sorted, but it does mean that DL won't be rendering the chicken palace, looks like I'll be DIY :(

• Like 1

This topic has been (un)officially locked!

... not until JT reveals what his problem was ... facepalm.gif

(this could take a while ... no need to start a new thread ... biggrin.png )

So, JT, repay back the debt ...

... what was the problem and how was it remedied?

This topic has been (un)officially locked!

... not until JT reveals what his problem was ... facepalm.gif

(this could take a while ... no need to start a new thread ... biggrin.png )

So, JT, repay back the debt ...

... what was the problem and how was it remedied?

Was probably just a clogged filter on the inlet :)