Chalerm's car inspected; DSI set to charge two suspects over super car scam

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The DSI have arrested a thumb and right arm !. In a statement, they said , We are not looking for the rest of the man because that has all been amputated !.

It was a good result. Case Closed !.

• Like 1

Can pick up an old Rolla in the UK for 5k or less

That's true. Posh Spice's dad used to have an old one like that, hence the otherwise surprising nickname.

The thing is, Chalerm's isn't like that. It looks quite new.

Edited by bigbamboo

Right now on thaicar.com there is a Rolls Royce for sale at 2.1 million baht. Rolls are like any other car in that the value can vary dramatically depending on condition, age and mechanical integrity. I don't know anything about the Rolls in question, but the statement that the value can vary is correct, and you cannot assume that just because it's a Rolls that it's therefore incorrectly valued.

post-48298-0-84804200-1371698383.jpg

Value of a Rolls can indeed vary, but here in Thailand, unlike Europe and America, they don't get sold of cheap, no matter what their age and condition - short that is of the car having been badly crashed.

A value of two and a half mill for the Rolls pictured above is a joke for anyone with the slightest of interest in the used car market in Thailand.

• Like 1

Right now on thaicar.com there is a Rolls Royce for sale at 2.1 million baht. Rolls are like any other car in that the value can vary dramatically depending on condition, age and mechanical integrity. I don't know anything about the Rolls in question, but the statement that the value can vary is correct, and you cannot assume that just because it's a Rolls that it's therefore incorrectly valued.

attachicon.gifpost-180983-0-68768600-1371529475_thumb.jpg

post-48298-0-84804200-1371698383.jpg

Value of a Rolls can indeed vary, but here in Thailand, unlike Europe and America, they don't get sold of cheap, no matter what their age and condition - short that is of the car having been badly crashed.

A value of two and a half mill for the Rolls pictured above is a joke for anyone with the slightest of interest in the used car market in Thailand.

What does 2.1 million buy you in Thailand?

The road-weary, weather-beaten 25 year-old Rolls that technologybytes found in his referenced post.

Quite a contrast to the gleaming nice one above in your post that DSI's Tarit says is worth only 50,000 baht more than this clunker.

post-180293-0-72365600-1371700570_thumb.

1988 Rolls

2.1 million

Tarit said he was looking into the matter of Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung's Rolls-Royce. Its value had reportedly been shown at only US$70,000 (Bt2.15 million).

Edited by oceanview

One shouldn't jump-start to conclusions. Chalerms RR is a resto-mod. It has been fitted with a Toyota 4 cilindre on NGV and only has the looks of RR. Gearbox is a 4 speed manual and the wood finish inside is plastic. And the private driver is an inflatable doll (forbidden by law in Thailand at least for sexual entertainment; they produce millions for export but not allowed to be sold here......).

It is quite obvious that the foreigners of TVF who are whinging the loudest and making the nastiest comments haven't the slightest clue about the vehicle and are using this as a means to engage in idiotic allegations and a smear campaign.

No one has offered an intelligent argument to support his allegation that the DPM avoided paying tax.

Look at the uncontested facts of the case, that even the most vociferous of critics do not dispute and that have been reported in the anti government holy journal, the Nation.

- The vehicle is a 2010 Rolls Royce Ghost.

- The amount recorded as paid was 26million baht.

Now look at the facts.

The vehicle is described by the manufacturer as its entry level Rolls Royce. It is the lowest cost Rolls.

- The list price for a 2010 Ghost was approx. $240,000. (It was $246,500 for the 2011 model year. ) Usually a minimum discount of 5-10% can be obtained with a greater discount obtained depending upon the time of purchase and if the purchaser has other vehicles. Let's say the list price was $246,500 . The purchase price would be 7,400,00 baht.

- The tax rate, depending upon the type of vehicle is between 200 and 314%. Let's say the 314% tax rate was used. That would make the purchase price approx. 23,200,000 baht.

The documented purchase price that no one has contested is 26million baht. That suggests that, there may have been some options purchased such the goat hide carpets etc. However, the purchase price is compatible with the vehicle MRSP without discounts, with tax at 314% and under the most conservative of pricing conditions.

If my math is incorrect please show me. If you cannot disprove the numbers and you cannot disprove the documented payment that even the critics are not denying, then why make the unfounded allegations?

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifpost-180983-0-68768600-1371529475_thumb.jpg

No one of any means in Thailand wants to purchase a used Rolls Royce. The trade ins are often shipped out of Thailand. Hiso Thais treat used cars like they do previously owned condominiums. No one wants them. What is desired is something new, not used and not with 50,000+km on the odometer.

It is quite obvious that the  foreigners of TVF who are whinging the loudest and making the  nastiest comments haven't the slightest clue  about the vehicle and are using this as a means to engage in idiotic allegations and a smear campaign.

No one has offered  an intelligent argument to support his allegation that the DPM  avoided paying tax.

Look at the uncontested facts of the case, that even the most vociferous of critics  do not dispute and that have been reported in the  anti government holy journal, the Nation.

- The vehicle is  a 2010  Rolls Royce Ghost. 

Now look at the  facts.

The vehicle is described by the manufacturer as its  entry level Rolls Royce. It is the lowest cost Rolls.

- The list price for a 2010 Ghost  was approx. $240,000. (It was $246,500 for the 2011 model year. )  Usually a minimum discount of 5-10% can be obtained with a greater discount obtained depending upon the time of purchase and if the purchaser has other vehicles. Let's say the list price was $246,500 . The purchase price would be 7,400,00 baht.

- The tax rate, depending upon the type of vehicle  is between 200 and 314%. Let's say the 314% tax rate was used. That would make the purchase price approx. 23,200,000 baht.

The documented purchase price that no one has contested is 26million baht. That suggests that, there may have been some options purchased such the  goat hide carpets etc. However, the purchase price  is compatible with the vehicle MRSP without discounts, with tax at 314% and under the most conservative of pricing conditions.

If my math is incorrect please show me. If you cannot disprove the numbers and you cannot disprove the documented payment that even the critics  are not denying, then why  make the unfounded allegations?

No one on TV made unfounded allegations. A former senator may have. Why not call up RR in bkk and ask them how much it is.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

No one of any means in Thailand wants to purchase a used Rolls Royce. The trade ins are often shipped out of Thailand. Hiso Thais treat used cars like they do previously owned condominiums. No one wants them. What is desired is something new, not used and not with 50,000+km on the odometer.

I don't think the wanting new thing is particularly exclusive to Thailand, certainly not where Asia is concerned. America and Europe might have different more open minded attitudes to buying used, but as has been pointed out already, second hand rollers don't generally have much value over there, so i can't imagine why anyone would ship them there from Thailand.

So please tell, where are these rollers being shipped to, and where exactly is your information coming from?

• Like 1

The documented purchase price that no one has contested is 26million baht.

How do reconcile the Chalerm's stated purchase price of 26,000,000 baht and the Tarit's assessed value of 2,150,000 baht?

Should he be investigating the obvious fraud committed against Chalerm?

• Like 2

How do reconcile the Chalerm's stated purchase price of 26,000,000 baht and the Tarit's assessed value of 2,150,000 baht?

10% down and someone pays the finance for you?

Tarit said he was looking into the matter of Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung's Rolls-Royce. Its value had reportedly been shown at only US$70,000 (Bt2.15 million).

He said it was the Customs Department's job to investigate whether price declarations were false or not.

OK, anyone know where I can pick up a car now at less than 1/15th of it's real value? I'm in the market . .

How do you know that is 1/15 of it's value?....Maybe it's an old car.

Its value had reportedly been shown at only US$70,000 (Bt2.15 million).

He's saying the value of the whole car is 2.1 million. Chalerm said he paid 26 million for for it.

What do mean?

He said it was the Customs Department's job to investigate whether price declarations were false or not.

OK, anyone know where I can pick up a car now at less than 1/15th of it's real value? I'm in the market . .

How do you know that is 1/15 of it's value?....Maybe it's an old car.

I'm assuming your trolling, but on the off-chance you are being serious:

http://www.topmarques.co.uk/classified/advert/201205446338981/model/continental_flying_spur/make/bentley/topmarques/page/1/sort/pricedesc/radius/1501/postcode/pe172th/onesearchad/Used%2CNearly%20New%2CNew

This is his car, nearly new in the UK it costs around 135,000 GBP, here in Thailand I've been told that same car would cost upwards of 25,000,000 THB, so I was wrong, it's 1/10th of it's real value/cost here in Thailand not 1/15th. Apologies.

The Rolls you refer to is close to 20 years old - 2.1 Mil is quite a lot for such an old vehicle. Chalerm is not driving a 20 year old Rolls - He's got a late model valued at over 25. I can and shall assume it's incorrectly valued.

Edited by SABloke

Its value had reportedly been shown at only US$70,000 (Bt2.15 million).

He's saying the value of the whole car is 2.1 million. Chalerm said he paid 26 million for for it.

What do mean?

I suggest they go speak to customs. They should be able to explain it all.

You can't even but half the car for 2.1mn anywhere in the world. That would mean it hit customs for value of 500k.

Ohhhhh, really. This issue starts and finishes with customs. He would have had to bribe them more than 2.1mn to get it through customs.

I can very easily he bought it off someone for a couple of million in order to owe them a favour or two. However, who is anyone to care what someone pays second hand to someone else.

The issue is how much did customs not levy on the car.

The Rolls you refer to is close to 20 years old - 2.1 Mil is quite a lot for such an old vehicle. Chalerm is not driving a 20 year old Rolls - He's got a late model valued at over 25. I can and shall assume it's incorrectly valued.

It's even older, it's 25 years old, but Tarit is saying Chalerm's 3 year old car is worth only a paltry 50,000 baht more than that scrap iron for sale.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647874-chalerms-car-inspected;-dsi-set-to-charge-two-suspects-over-super-car-scam/page-2#entry6525587

Edited by oceanview

Can you expect that Chalerm would be the proud owner of a Roller that has not been maintained properly and/or is showing very high mileage? Any good example would not be on sale/sold for such a low price. Not to mention how old it is!

Edited by Anon999

It is quite obvious that the foreigners of TVF who are whinging the loudest and making the nastiest comments haven't the slightest clue about the vehicle and are using this as a means to engage in idiotic allegations and a smear campaign.

No one has offered an intelligent argument to support his allegation that the DPM avoided paying tax.

Look at the uncontested facts of the case, that even the most vociferous of critics do not dispute and that have been reported in the anti government holy journal, the Nation.

- The vehicle is a 2010 Rolls Royce Ghost.

Now look at the facts.

The vehicle is described by the manufacturer as its entry level Rolls Royce. It is the lowest cost Rolls.

- The list price for a 2010 Ghost was approx. $240,000. (It was $246,500 for the 2011 model year. ) Usually a minimum discount of 5-10% can be obtained with a greater discount obtained depending upon the time of purchase and if the purchaser has other vehicles. Let's say the list price was $246,500 . The purchase price would be 7,400,00 baht.

- The tax rate, depending upon the type of vehicle is between 200 and 314%. Let's say the 314% tax rate was used. That would make the purchase price approx. 23,200,000 baht.

The documented purchase price that no one has contested is 26million baht. That suggests that, there may have been some options purchased such the goat hide carpets etc. However, the purchase price is compatible with the vehicle MRSP without discounts, with tax at 314% and under the most conservative of pricing conditions.

If my math is incorrect please show me. If you cannot disprove the numbers and you cannot disprove the documented payment that even the critics are not denying, then why make the unfounded allegations?

Are saying that Chalerm may have been ripped off, but the person or dealership that sold it to him may have brought the car in, paid minimal tax and made extra profits? That's not very nice is it?

"the" people do not jump to conclusions. They know that the rich and politicians are dishonest and never pay their fair share. They have seen that thaksin was punished for something all rich people do. So they reached the conclusion a long time ago that if someone is caught it is because he or she is made a scapegoat so their scam can live on forever.

They made a mistake and left out a '0'

Chalerm didnt realize it was a mistake because his secretary paid on his behalf.