Danish man and Thai woman robbed in Pattaya

webfact

Couple Robbed In Pattaya City

223.jpg
A Thai woman together with her foreign boyfriend were robbed as they were walking back to their room in an isolated alley. The robbers used a long knife to threaten them. They were able to get away with over 14,000 THB together with important documents.

PATTAYA – [PDN]; Police officers of Pattaya police station were informed that a robbery gang used a pick up car to rob a couple. As soon as the incident was reported police rushed out to investigate.

When police arrived at the scene, police found the couple in the reported alley. Police found 62 year-old Mr. Paul Illic Lasbussen, a Danish national, together with his 33 year-old girlfriend, Ms. Kewalin Siriborn.
Mr. Paul was injured on his finger, he said that he got the injury after tripping, making his finger bleed heavily.

After questioning Ms. Kewalin, police were made aware that Ms. Kewalin and Mr. Paul were on their way back to their room after they went to entertain themselves at Walking Street. As they were walking a pick-up truck approached and stopped in front of them.

2 men then came down from the car and told them to give them all their possessions, they were threatening the couple with a long knife. The couple then decided to give them all they had, including cash money and important documents.

As soon as the robbers had escaped, the couple then ran to the nearest security guard to help them. Ms. Kewalin said that her stolen handbag contained cash money of over 14,000 THB, a mobile phone and other important documents.

Full story: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/06/19/couple-robbed-in-pattaya-city/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-06-20

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where this happened, and what time of night. Walking distance from Walking Street, I don't know of any alleys that I would think of as dangerous. Maybe I need to be a little more careful.sad.png

Edited by Yknot
  • Like 2

maybe his girl contacted her thai mates saying that her boyfriend just withdrew a large sum of cash

well done you have combined the two most predictable of Thai visa responses in one short answer.

sub 500 dollars is hardly a large sum of cash, and don't you think blaming the woman gets a little old?

if i remember correctly it seems that there is almost a 100% success rate for thai crooks for hitting on foreigners with large sums of cash, it may not seem like a large amount of cash to us but to thais it is, i wouldnt at all be surprised if this was going on

If I remember correctly it is almost 100% that large sums of money are reported as being stolen....................wink.png

maybe his girl contacted her thai mates saying that her boyfriend just withdrew a large sum of cash

Congratulations, you win the cynic of the week award.

Extra points for managing to get your ridiculous comments in so early at #3, but lost points for not suggesting that she's a ladyboy.

oh goody, i get points at last, my post was made about a concern that "maybe" this could be an undiscovered scam, think about it.

Ladyboy? hmmm, glad you thought about it, points to you

• Like 2

well done you have combined the two most predictable of Thai visa responses in one short answer.

sub 500 dollars is hardly a large sum of cash, and don't you think blaming the woman gets a little old?

if i remember correctly it seems that there is almost a 100% success rate for thai crooks for hitting on foreigners with large sums of cash, it may not seem like a large amount of cash to us but to thais it is, i wouldnt at all be surprised if this was going on

If I remember correctly it is almost 100% that large sums of money are reported as being stolen....................wink.png

It just amazes me that people carry these unnecessarily large amount of money around with them, especially in Pattaya at night. It's not like they're out to buy a laptop or a TV late at night. According to the article, the money was in the woman's purse, so it was hers, I guess. (Actually, ignore that last line. I just noticed that the "news" source is PDN, so it's not likely many of the facts are accurate.)

• Like 1

Older foreign men, drunk, wandering around the city at night with someone they might not know very well, with their pockets full of cash.

It is amazing that this doesn`t happen more often.

• Like 1

There are a few narrow streets off Walking street itself but they are usually teeming with people. Very few vehicles except m/c go up and down these after 6 p.m. until Walking street closes for the night.

Although it does not say what time of day this happens, it is still difficult during the day to get a car / truck down these narrow streets.

There are one or two back 'alleyways' leading from street to street but to be driving there at the exact same time as this couple does seem odd. I cannot exactly see a high speed getaway from these narrow streets, hell, you can walk faster than most traffic down them.

Maybe the PDN has not got the facts correct on the actual location? And a time of day would have helped.

Yes, it does seem odd that those targets robbed do always seem to have a lot of cash on them. Carrying 14,000 Baht on walking Street? I carry a couple of thousand max when I am out for the night. Maybe a bit extra if I wanted a lady ;)

• Like 2

"if i remember correctly it seems that there is almost"

thats pretty definitive, are you sure? you don't want to over commit on this.

Edited by joeaverage