Phibun Mangsaharn Immigration, very pleasant.

retiredaamt

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add my 2 cents worth about Phibun Immigration.

Today started out great as I entered with my yearly O package completed and neatly put together. I was the first in line. Right away, the lady told me that my bank statement was not fresh enough. She said it had to be less than 3 days old. Seems to me it use to be 2 weeks. No problem, and off to Lotus to get another bank statement.

Got back about 2 hours later, and she said everything looked fine and come back at 1PM. No problem.

Came back and waited until 2:30PM, when another lady told me that my marriage certificate had to be certified by my embassy.

This is my 5th "O visa" yearly extension and never had a problem about it before. Even the Thai embassy in Los Angeles, where I started the process, accepted it. When I politely asked why this time it was not acceptable, she replied "We are checking more closely."

I'm beginning to wonder if they really want me in their country. Has anyone else heard about the bank statement being no older than 3 days? I have about had it with Thai Immigration. Sometimes, I wonder if it is really worth it living here and putting up with this Immigration mess.

• Like 1

Try some of the European embassy functionaries by applying for a Schengen visa if you think it is just Thai immigration that is staffed by jumped-up despots. Delusions of power seems to go with the territory worldwide.

I find it difficult to grin and bear it too (though when it comes to Thai visas I benefit from having another abode 60 miles away from the famously reliable Thai consulate in Hull, England).

Edited by SantiSuk

Today started out great as I entered with my yearly O package completed and neatly put together. I was the first in line. Right away, the lady told me that my bank statement was not fresh enough. She said it had to be less than 3 days old. Seems to me it use to be 2 weeks. No problem, and off to Lotus to get another bank statement.

Got back about 2 hours later, and she said everything looked fine and come back at 1PM. No problem.

Came back and waited until 2:30PM, when another lady told me that my marriage certificate had to be certified by my embassy.

This is my 5th "O visa" yearly extension and never had a problem about it before. Even the Thai embassy in Los Angeles, where I started the process, accepted it. When I politely asked why this time it was not acceptable, she replied "We are checking more closely."

I'm beginning to wonder if they really want me in their country. Has anyone else heard about the bank statement being no older than 3 days? I have about had it with Thai Immigration. Sometimes, I wonder if it is really worth it living here and putting up with this Immigration mess.

Two friends recently went to Phibun to get their one year retirement visas. The bank statement (800, 000 baht or more) and the bank letter had to be issued the same day. The first friend knew about this same day requirement and so in the morning went to his bank in Ubon and got the bank letter and bank statement, Drove out to Phibun in the afternoon and got the year visa. THe second friend did as normally he had done for years and years and got the bank documents the day before and went to Phibin the next day. No good they said. So around to Tesco Lotus and waited until the bank opened at 10:30 am. Took one hour at the bank to get things done and then back to Immigration. Everything got done.

Then last week a third friend went as usual to the Ubon bank the day before and then to Phibun the next day. No problems whatsoever. Seems to me it depends who you are and who is at the desk dealing with you.

I am happy I don't have to put up with these sort of things.

• Like 1

Appears to not just be me with issues with this fine government office.

I know another thread is running about unfair treatment at the same office.

For every good there are a few more bad.

:D:D

• Like 1

Has anyone else heard about the bank statement being no older than 3 days?

Up until a few years ago we were always told that the statement should be no more than one week old. In recent years that has changed, for us at least, to one day old being acceptable.

To be fair, 2 weeks is a long time for a letter's validity; a lot could have happened to your account in that time. In Bangkok don 't they have to have the letter dated on the day of application?

As for the marriage certificate - I had it notarised before I left for Thailand, and the officer at the time (17 years ago), said that this was required anyway. This condition seems reasonable.to me; it's an important document after all.

Apart from the above, I sympathise with you regarding visiting Phibun; up until a couple of years ago it was fine, but now, as others say, it is very hit or miss - some days good, other days diabolical, and I was so pissed off in January that I am considering dropping the extension after all these years and trying the marriage multi-entry in Savannakhet for the first time.

Good luck with your application.

Every immigration thread is the same. One guy says how terrible they are, the next had a pleasant experience. It doesn't matter whether it's PM or Kap Cheong or where.

Much of it depends on the customer, of course, but even when the customer is nice, the officer may have a hangover, have had a quarrel with his/her wife/husband etc.

The only thing to do is to be as pleasant as you can, never give a tip of any kind, and have the grace to take it as it comes. Tomorrow is another day.

YOU are absolutely spot on.

It may have nothing to do with the expat and it may have everything to do with him. ( I speak in general terms only)

On my last visit to our local Imm. office, I asked the Missus to confirm that she could handle the 90 day reporting without me being present. Upon hearing that's possible I realized I'd only be going there for my annual retirement renewal. In the future, I'll also go ahead and get a 12 month reentry permit so I don't screw that up by mistake.

My merit was very helpful, but it didn't prevent me to have the most friendly officer they've got. The oldest lady there with her "friendly smile"/

( The truth would give me a break forever in this forum).

I walked in at 1,,20, nobody else there. The boards showed the number 0000000.. I could feel the thick air when SHE started checking me out. Nothing wrong with my clothes, didn't speak loud and my Wai was almost perfect.

Took a number which was 501 and thought that could take days to supply my TM 47 form I had already filled out.

Listening to their usual "chat" between them, i had to wait another 30 minutes to get their attention, 501 was called.

All printed out, signed, TM already filled out. The "lady" looks deep into my passport. Is it really the same guy she must have thought......

Then my question if I could send it by post the next time. Thought my Thai was wrong, but then the answer yes, you can do that. Leb reu. Ready.

She gives me my passport back with the new slip in and says:" Why don't you go to xxxxx province, you're living there?"

My politeness shocks me: Excuse me Ma'm but i work in the neighboring VVVV province. That helped and she let me go back.

Will be back at the temple after work.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1