Some sections of Chiang Rai Immigration moving from Mae Sai

ripstanley

Today I drove to Mae Sai for my 90 day reporting. I had all my documents filled out and photocopied. He asked for my passport. No other documents required. He then typed in my passport number. He verified I was still at same address and then printed my "receipt of notification". It was not busy so we started talking. He said that this section indicating his area, visa extension and re entry permits will be moving to Chiang Rai around August or September. I asked where and he said at sports ground. I said the same as Thai passport office and he said yes.

He said that way they can cater better for areas south like Phayao where I come from.

I will be glad when this does eventuate.

Today was the first time I was asked to produce my drivers license at a police check point. This happened just south of Phan heading north.

• Like 2

This is really good news but I won’t get too excited until they actually make the move. Things don’t always go according to schedule, you know.wink.png

In our area there is a roving group of traffic cops who setup checkpoints at varying locations on the way to town. These guys are separate from the fixed location guys.

One guy in particular is quite talkative and no longer asks for my license. Car or motorbike he always recognizes me and says something to show he really remembers. Some are more formal than him but they are all well suited to their job, being efficient, friendly, courteous and sometimes even funny. I almost look forward to being stopped for a brief chat.

I don’t get the guys who get all worked up over it. Hope your experience was as good as mine.smile.png
  • Like 2

Have to say, the Chiang Rai Thai passport office is a bit difficult to find. It's located inside a large school. Near a sports field.

The best English translation we can offer is Au-Bor-Jor Chiang Rai School. And, this school is adjacent to the Sport Complex Center of Chiang Rai.

We went this week for passport renewal. Took about a half hour and a few conversations to find it. Even, after we called the passport office to get directions.

Cheers

Edited by TwentyBaht

• 2 weeks later...

From the other thread. Perhaps this will help. I did read somewhere, this is a temporary office, so perhaps the permanent one will be easier to find and have signage.

Took the familly to Chiang Rai today to apply for their Thai passports. It appears that it is only for Thai passports. We arrived before 9.30 and we were the first customers. The sign on the door says 0830 to 1630. Just after we arrived many others followed. They have 3 counters for processing. The staff were very friendly and helpful. All the staff I saw were female except for the man who took your money. We were out by 10am. Had copies of docs and photos but were not required. They scans original docs and take their own photos. Passports will be posted in a week.

Where is this office?

it is Chiang Rai Provincial Stadium. You drive through the main gate and proceed direct to a small roundabout. Right turn to the next T intersection. Right again and first right into car park The office is there. Not far from the entrance. I hope this helps.
Edited by villagefarang

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at Mae Sai yesterday to do my 90 day report. I asked the same guy about the move and he said only on Saturday. It appears the move is not going to happen. Its is a pity.

I'm moving to the Chiang Rai area in the near future. As most here I will require the services of the Thai Immigration for visa renewals and 90 day check ins. From what I'm reading on this link am I to understand that the only place to do Immigration services is in Mae Sai for the entire Chiang Rai area? I'll be in Doi Luang and I saw a Thai Immigration office in Chiang Saen, but have not verified that it does not perform ferang immigration services. Can you or other's advise me?

• 2 months later...
I made my yearly trip to immigration yesterday and the woman taking care of my paperwork made two interesting comments during the very painless process.

First she said they were being taught how to use a new computer system that was being, or has already been, installed. Not sure how that may affect efficiency in the future but it is potentially a good thing.

Secondly she mentioned they would be moving soon but was noncommittal about the date. It did sound to me like it would be early next year but she was purposefully vague. So it sounds to me like Rip was correct but a little early with this topic.