Rear gear problem

jambco984

Poor old mate jambco,

having a lot of bike problems - but hope your motor is running well! You really need a pal to give you a coupla hours hands-on mech. session.

The rewards from such - that warm/fuzzy feeling - make up for all the frustrating hours expressing expletives and getting dirty.

The chains for 6/7/8 rear clusters/cogs are (used to be) the same width. 9-speed comes in two widths. 10-speed different again.

After 600km, your drivetrain should be just wearing in, not stoofing up. I recently replaced my chain + 9speed cluster in Chumphon - not from the cheapest source. Shimano chain 1200B, cluster (11-34 tooth) 600B, magic link 90B. I reckon the old set-up had done 5000km.

I use some derailleur I pulled of a dead bike. I have never had a prob with rear derailleurs, apart from the usual crap flying up from the road and trying to stuff the springs everytime you ride through puddles. I think you have to use a name gear shifter with a name derailleur, but Shim chain compatible with SRAM cluster and v/v.

All the advice concerning regular drivetrain cleaning is top stuff. I get slack, riding in the rain most days... keep on cycling, AA

• Like 1

Hi Darren

I think the cassette is an ok model but the derailleur is a lower end Shimano model. Much depends on where you ride and the distances involved.

You will find that the higher end Shimano components will operate smoother for the most part, are lighter and I would say more durable, but will cost more. You'vegot to fin a LBS you like and de elop a relationship with them for good service and pricing.

If I were you I would replace the entire set with an Shimano SLK model. I'm not sure of the pricing for these components as I use the XT model. The cassette cost me about 2500THB but with care will lasta very long time. I also use a Shimano XTR chain and clean it often. I use a Connex link ffom Wipperman wnich is the easiest link to remove and install. No tools are necessary. All you have to do is grasp the chain on both sides of the link and push them together forming the letter Z. The link will come right apart. Installation is even easier as all you need to do is line up the holes with the pins and push them together.

It's just what was on the bike when I bought it from the bike shop in Sukhothai.

Like I said earlier I don't mind spending a little extra to get a nice set-up but wont spend a fortune just yet.

I am pretty naffed off at the moment as I haven't been able to get any riding done for 2 weeks, it's making for a slugish and sleepy me biggrin.png .

How's your jollies going? Hope you're making the most of it.

biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Poor old mate jambco,

having a lot of bike problems - but hope your motor is running well! You really need a pal to give you a coupla hours hands-on mech. session.

The rewards from such - that warm/fuzzy feeling - make up for all the frustrating hours expressing expletives and getting dirty.

The chains for 6/7/8 rear clusters/cogs are (used to be) the same width. 9-speed comes in two widths. 10-speed different again.

After 600km, your drivetrain should be just wearing in, not stoofing up. I recently replaced my chain + 9speed cluster in Chumphon - not from the cheapest source. Shimano chain 1200B, cluster (11-34 tooth) 600B, magic link 90B. I reckon the old set-up had done 5000km.

I use some derailleur I pulled of a dead bike. I have never had a prob with rear derailleurs, apart from the usual crap flying up from the road and trying to stuff the springs everytime you ride through puddles. I think you have to use a name gear shifter with a name derailleur, but Shim chain compatible with SRAM cluster and v/v.

All the advice concerning regular drivetrain cleaning is top stuff. I get slack, riding in the rain most days... keep on cycling, AA

I being a novice have been a bit of a wally and not done too much maintenance until something has gone wrong. I have been very Thai about the maintenance (wait for it to break then fix it). biggrin.png

I put all my problems down to being a daft a**e and not looking after my bike, lesson learned for sure.

I got proficient at the cleaning side of things on Sunday just gone and I have found all I need on youtube so far.

I will hit a different shop that I mentioned in a previous post and quiz the guy and watch him like a hawk for some extra knowledge. Unfortunately my mate who I go out with sometimes has a cheap and nasty mtb and doesn't look after it and he seems to just keep going. smile.png

Theoretically speaking, if I had taken my maintenance more seriously and kept a tight ship with the cartridge and chain. Riding on dirt tracks but nothing hardcore just getting the km's down, few puddles and red dust etc...

How many km's would at a guess of course this set-up have done?

I did 600km and by the looks of it 7th and 8th are shot.

Regards

Darren.

biggrin.pngwai2.gifbiggrin.png

Darren

Check with your LBS regarding replacing indi,vidual gears. If you're counting like me with 7 & 8 being the smallest gears then you may be in luck. Shimano provides replacement gears for those small gears. Once again you need to check with your LBS to see if they have/can order replacement gears. I 've done this several times with my Shimano XT cassette. You also need to check to see if the chain is worn out. The LBS should have a gauge to measure the wear. Park tools available herein Thailand hastwo different gauges to handle this task. You will quickly wear out any new gears by using a worn out chain.

• Like 1

Darren

Check with your LBS regarding replacing indi,vidual gears. If you're counting like me with 7 & 8 being the smallest gears then you may be in luck. Shimano provides replacement gears for those small gears. Once again you need to check with your LBS to see if they have/can order replacement gears. I 've done this several times with my Shimano XT cassette. You also need to check to see if the chain is worn out. The LBS should have a gauge to measure the wear. Park tools available herein Thailand hastwo different gauges to handle this task. You will quickly wear out any new gears by using a worn out chain.

The bike shop replaced my chain, he got his tool out whistling.gifwhistling.gif and decided it was knackered. Fair shout I say, he says 600 baht. I didn't know prices so I thought 600 baht was a decent price for a chain, looking at some online I seem to go into things with my blinkers on facepalm.gif

He didn't suggest getting a new rear cartridge he just checked all was lined up and smooth but as the bike was fair sh**e high that could be why he didn't bother.

My rear cartridge is a 7 piece fixed and a single 8th gear not 7th and 8th individual, only 8th, so I reckon I need both parts.

When I took it off there was the 7 gears a single small (8th) gear and the locking piece.

I haven't been out on the bike for 2 weeks because of this, I have new cycling boxers waiting to get a good ride which is naffing me off.

When I replaced the chain on Saturday I had a quick up and down the street when I got home and it was still missing 8th.

Then I gave it a cleaning and 7th started to miss just as much as the 8th before the mucking out.

Any thoughts on distance out of a non-expensive / decent well maintained cog and chain?

Thanks as always.

biggrin.png

Well.....

I have been to get my bike fixed and I am happy to say that my new

Shimano Megarange 34T. CS-HG41T 8ao is the mutts nuts in that the problem has gone away.

500 baht for the rear cog and its an upgrade on the old one, maybe slight but an upgrade. It was the only 8 speed cog the shop stocked and I didn't fancy waiting another week.

I asked about a Wipperman Connex but he doesn't stock them. He did have quick release reusable links for 9 and 10 speed bikes, he is fresh out of stock of the 8 speed apparently and they will take 2 weeks to arrive... maybe??

If you're home before then Mike maybe if you have time you could pop into your LBS and check for me as you're a top chap :D

Thanks for all your help folks and I hope I can be of some use in the future.

:D:):D

Darren

Happy to hear all has gone well and the problem is solved. I would be bappy to send a few 8 speed links your way. I don't recall the price but will let you know before buying (I believe less than 100THB) Now all you need to do is keep the chain ring up front & cassette clean and the chain cleaned and lubed.

Happy riding

Mike

• Like 1

I will be Mr Maintenance from now on. I will admit being clueless and ignorant before but no excuses now.

The front cog was in good condition so I didn't replace it, is that wise?

I have a new rear cog and chain and the LBS man said it was fine as it was.

I asked before I left for him to check my front brakes as they had been sticking. I had you tubed and looked hard to fix it. According to the fella my wheel wasnt alligned if that is the correct word to use. I did go over a fair sized rock and nearly stacked it at about 30kmh so that could have buckled it maybe? What do you reckon?

Thanks for taking your time to help me out as always.

I will await your arrival and standby with payment.

Where are you now?

:D

Not a problem Darren.

Typically the front gears (chainring) will last a very long time as there is not much wear up front.

Brakes: It sounds like your wheel was misaligned. This is not that unusual at all. Check it yourself periodically by viewing the wheel head on and spin it. Look for side to side movement. You should not see any. If you have any have wheel realigned. Make sure you keep the tires PROPERLY inflated (with a gauge) to help avoid bent wheels

Get to know the LBS guy if you like his work. Drop in when you're in town to browse or pick up a pair of gloves or some chain lube.

Mike

Currently in Italy along with what seems like hundreds of bike riders in every city.

• Like 1

It's our first real vacation since retiring in Thailand 7 years ago. My wife and I lived in Italy for 4 years nearly 40 years ago courtesy of the US Air Force and loved it then as well.

This has been great but I really miss my bike. Cycling has become my new obsession.

• Like 1

Hi Darren

Back home again and trying hard to get used to the idiots on the road around here again.

I checked the Connex master link packages I have here at home and the rpice marked is 210THB. However, I believe the guy disciunts that to 150THB for me. If that is ok price wise I'll check with them this weekend to see what they have available for an 8 speed chain. How many links do you want? Do you need anything else that I can send from this end?

BTW: the crazyguyonabike site I sent you is an excellent place to read about cycling from a riders point of view.

Mike

• Like 1

Darren

Here's a few suggestions for you:

1. Buy a chain breaker you can ALWAYS pack with you when you ride and learn how to use it. I pack mine with a spare master link in my seat bag so it's always with me when I ride. A broken/bent chain can be a real pain out in the middle of nowhere.

2. Always carry a spare master link with you to repair a broken chain.

3. Buy a chain wear gauge and learn how to use it. Park Tools which makes bicycle tools has two different ones available. I bought mine from Ebay and had it shipped here at very little expense. You can also measure a chain but it's just soooooooo much easier using the gauge.

4. Always carry a spare tube and repair kit with you and a tool to remove the valve from the tube (unless you are using tubless tires).

There are lots more of these simple suggestions once you begin to look around the net.

BTW: I don't use the TV APP on my Samsung Android as it's useless as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

• Like 1

Hello Mike, my app has been playing up and not working at all. I have just reinstalled it and it seems to be working.

When I get a moment I will reply to your posts.

Be patient cheers.

Unfortunately I have no internet at the mother in laws. I am in Sukhothai for 2 weeks ago the app is all I have.

Great info and tips. I took the wheels off and pooped the whole thing on the back seat. I will check my LBS here to see if they have anything, it it's an LA Bicycle store so I won't hold my breath although he does have some good things in :D

Speak soon my good man

Edit - At the car wash at the moment and its hotter than hell so I will reply when I am cooler in body and thoughts as the incompetent buffoons are testing me lol.

Edited by jambco984

Unfortunately I have no internet at the mother in laws. I am in Sukhothai for 2 weeks ago the app is all I have.Great info and tips. I took the wheels off and pooped the whole thing on the back seat. I will check my LBS here to see if they have anything, it it's an LA Bicycle store so I won't hold my breath although he does have some good things in :DSpeak soon my good man:DEdit - At the car wash at the moment and its hotter than hell so I will reply when I am cooler in body and thoughts as the incompetent buffoons are testing me lol.:D

Should be and the app is all I have. Not ago.

Damm sausage fingers :D