Thai farmers to protest against drop in guaranteed price

webfact

RICE-PLEDGING SCHEME
Farmers to protest against drop in guaranteed price

Yupin Phongthong,
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Farmers' groups in 10 provinces are preparing to hold rallies to voice their opposition against the government's decision to cut the minimum price of rice under its rice-pledging scheme to Bt12,000 per tonne.

Thai Farmers' Association chairman Prasit Bunchoey told the press yesterday that a date would soon be chosen on when farmers will hold a peaceful gathering outside the city halls in the 10 provinces. At the protest, they will submit petitions addressed to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra asking that the guaranteed price remain at Bt15,000 per tonne.

Prasit said the association had initially told the government that Bt12,000 was good enough before the scheme was launched at Bt15,000. "The government stubbornly decided to set the rate at Bt15,000. Now the farmers will have to bear the brunt of the rate being dropped to Bt12,000, even though it is not our fault," he added.

Three Pheu Thai MPs also joined the protest against the price reduction. Party-list MP Chawalit Witchayasut, Lamphun MP Sanguan Phongmanee and Phitsanulok MP Niyom Changphinit jointly said that the Bt3,000 difference in price would affect the farmers very badly. Sanguan said he believed the Bt12,000 price can never be enforced because the farmers will fight against it.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-21

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The PTP powerbase on the move and let's see how many more MPs will decide to join in although the choice is letting their constitutents down or going against Thaksin and the party.

Will Thaksin and PTP's self-assurance be shaken or are their collective heads so far in the sand they will excuse this away while ignoring the implications ?

• Like 2

Farmers cutting their crop before the deadline here in the village, I'd imagine that is the same nationwide, so they can maximise profit.

I could hear the rice combines going all night they have so much work to do!

At the local shop/bar last night the guy who cut the paddy next to our house yesterday was complaining about broken promises and rising prices. Bet there are many more like him.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Farmers cutting their crop before the deadline here in the village, I'd imagine that is the same nationwide, so they can maximise profit.

At the local shop/bar last night the guy who cut the paddy next to our house yesterday was complaining about broken promises and rising prices. Bet there are many more like him.

Yes and as this groundswell really gets going the government is in big trouble but I would bet they won't see it coming as they really do believe they can do no wrong in the eyes of their people.

• Like 1

<Prasit said the association had initially told the government that Bt12,000 was good enough> …….and then……<.Now the farmers will have to bear the brunt of the rate being dropped to Bt12,000, even though it is not our fault,"> he added.

"Dear rice farmers of Thailand, you have been officially ripped off. Thank you very much for buying into our populist policies. And now excuse me, I've got to plan my nex shopping trip to the Maledives,... bye bye..."giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Let the Bangkok rice farmer protest begin again...

Edited by MaxLee
  • Like 1

Yes and as this groundswell really gets going the government is in big trouble but I would bet they won't see it coming as they really do believe they can do no wrong in the eyes of their people.

Yes that is what I thought too but chatting with the guy, through wifey interpreting, I asked 'what about the Democrats?' He said most people in the village will never vote for them because they only care about the rich. That is what the Dems have to overcome.

When it comes it will be like a sledgehammer between the eyes.

Does anybody else remember the pre-election rally where the B15,000 was being met with cheers until Yingluk (seemingly out of the blue, but with a lovely smile) kicked it up to B20,000.

Hopefully that clip will be shown at her trial.

• Like 1

How can these farmers complain? They've been paid far higher than market rates for a long time and will still be paid far more than market rates even at the new reduced level. What exactly do they think they are entitled to and how can posters here say they have been ripped off?

As for complaining about the 15K having been a guarantee, they are Thai and this is Thailand, don't they know the word guarantee means nothing in Thailand? As a "falang" that has Thai's try to overcharge me, lie and cheat me every single day and in the most trivial ways I actually find this kind of funny.

A couple of years worth of being overpaid doesn't make much of history when you have been breaking your back planting rice for a lifetime. They haven't been ripped off. They have had their hopes and expectations changed, and now they are being brought slowly back to reality.

Giving up is hard to do.

• Like 1

How can these farmers complain? They've been paid far higher than market rates for a long time and will still be paid far more than market rates even at the new reduced level. What exactly do they think they are entitled to and how can posters here say they have been ripped off?

As for complaining about the 15K having been a guarantee, they are Thai and this is Thailand, don't they know the word guarantee means nothing in Thailand? As a "falang" that has Thai's try to overcharge me, lie and cheat me every single day and in the most trivial ways I actually find this kind of funny.

A couple of years worth of being overpaid doesn't make much of history when you have been breaking your back planting rice for a lifetime. They haven't been ripped off. They have had their hopes and expectations changed, and now they are being brought slowly back to reality.

Giving up is hard to do.

New born babies get their arse slapped as a welcome to the cold cruel world. About time it happened to Thailand's rice industry as well.

Oh dear.

There are 3 PT MP's that are about to have their allowences cut.

Until Thaksin officially endorses the cuts they have nothing to worry about. Let's wait and see if he does. He might want to let the protests gain momentum to near boiling point and then show up like the saviour himself and have the original pledging prices reinstated. Will certainly boost his popularity among the simple red shirts.

• Like 1

Giving up is hard to do.

New born babies get their arse slapped as a welcome to the cold cruel world. About time it happened to Thailand's rice industry as well.

The Thai rice export industry isn't going to survive in its current state. Too many players, too many small holds, expensive production, not enough agronomy support, too much fertiliser adding to cost, too much production in marginal growing areas, too much production of marginal quality of rice that can be interchanged with other countries.

The farmers can't make enough, if the prices revert back to normal levels, so time to find another crop, and maybe be happy not being number 1 exporter in the world.

Oh dear.

There are 3 PT MP's that are about to have their allowences cut.

Until Thaksin officially endorses the cuts they have nothing to worry about. Let's wait and see if he does. He might want to let the protests gain momentum to near boiling point and then show up like the saviour himself and have the original pledging prices reinstated. Will certainly boost his popularity among the simple red shirts.

simple and decieved are the words i think,,,no betrayed,,its becoming a very sad country unfortunatly ,,such a shame,,sad.png

• Like 1

God,you must know some awfull people as a "falang",,i never get overcharged ,lied to or cheated by Thai people ,in fact i have only once ever been cheated in all my years here ,i cannot understand some of you who post on thaivisa ,you live in a different world to me and my family.

Edited by i claudius

A group of poor people will rally, to show their disapproval of government actions, hope that the Red-Shirts don't decide to come out in force, to show resistance to any & all opposition ! rolleyes.gif

Wonder when the strange extended-silence from Dubai will be broken, and will the blame be put on world-markets & the rotten foreigners, or the PM & PTP-government not following instructions properly ? laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo

God,you must know some awfull people as a "falang",,i never get overcharged ,lied to or cheated by Thai people ,in fact i have only once ever been cheated in all my years here ,i cannot understand some of you who post on thaivisa ,you live in a different world to me and my family.
'I Claudius'? More Nero.
  • Like 1

In the interests of accuracy, you should change "in fact" to "AFAIK, I have only once ever been cheated in all my years here"

• Like 1