Obtaining custody in case of divorce

Italian guy

I'd love to have your opinion about the following situation. I've been married with my Thai wife for 5 years. Since the beginning, she displayed occasional abnormal behaviour, emotional disorders, overreactions to common situations etc. I've always thought that I could cope with it but year after year this condition has worsened to the point that I really don't know how long I can stand it. Plus, I'm really tired to hear from her that she wants to leave and take the baby with her every time that we have an argument (although it isn't probably true and she says this out of anger...). I don't want to enter in personal details, so I'm skipping most of the details and I go straight to the question. If I decide to divorce, how many chances do I have to get the custody on our daughter? We have married in my embassy, the baby was born after the marriage and she's 8 months now. I have a good job and sufficient funds to take care of my daughter, and my family would surely help me, too. I don't have vices and I'm a very dedicated father. I can surely guarantee my daughter a bright future until I live (I'm less than 40). The mother has no job and no qualifications whatsoever, and she can't definitely count on any financial support from her family. She is indeed a good mother wen her mood is set to "normal"; however, when she's in "destruction mode" she totally loses the ability to think rationally and take care of the baby (and herself) properly. I even live in constant fear of some inconsiderate or extreme action! Unfortunately, there is no official diagnosis of personality disorder, and I realise that demonstrate what I say might be a problem. Losing my daughter is not an option! I'm ready to pay any price in a possible legal battle over the baby's custody...

What are your thoughts?

You will get split custody with the mother, unless she is uncapable or a danger to the child. And you will need to proof this.

The court will try to work something out, with one parent normally being the prime caretaker and the other having the child a few days a week or month.

If you work and she doesn't, she has more time to take care of the child. That is in her advantage.

• Like 1

in my divorce,thai wife has custody fulltime and i provide financial support,i have legal access for 3days a week.She as also stated that she would like to return to work when our child is 3,i will then have our son living with me fulltime...and she will provide 3000a month to me for childs welfare.

This was written up by a thai lawyer in english and thai and presented to the local amphur or court (not sure which one).

We have a very good relationship(wife and i) she actually lives 2 doors down from me.

I hope these documents do stand up if we have problems in the future,but so far so good.

Also everything while we were together was split 50/50 and what i had before i met her stayed mine.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. This helps me clarify the situation. For now, however, I carry on and if only I could convince her to see a psychologist the situation would improve dramatically, I'm sure. Too bad that for Thai people seeing a psychologist is a taboo, a loss of face...