Best Khao Man Gai in Bangkok?

CPT

Any suggestions as to where to find really good Khao Man Gai in Bangkok? I have been looking but haven't yet found anywhere as good as my go to place in Chiang Mai and though I have found a few posts here on the topic they are all a bit dated. Not haute cuisine certainly but something I get a craving for on occasion, a craving that has thus far gone unfulfilled in Bangkok where there are bound to be some excellent choices. Options near the BTS system are preferred but I will happily travel further.

Edited by CPT

Singapore Chicken Rice

Thong Lor, across the street from subsoi 15.

Is this Boon Tong Kiat? If so I've heard good things but just haven't been able to make it. Definitely on the list for next week given your recommendation!

Saw a TV (television) promotional type of programme in English about 18 months ago which talked about a famous (to Thais) khao man gai restaurant supposedly opposite one or other of the Pratunam market areas. Looked really good, clean and tale-tellingly busy, plus the proprietor spoke well about their focus on the quality of the ingredients/suppliers and the secrecy surrounding their broth recipe.

I have half-heartedly looked out for it a few times when I have been in that area but have not recognised it yet. If anyone knows of it perhaps they can post directions. Open fronted and seemed to be one of the main roads.

Best Khao man gai I have had was in the area between town and Swampy on Thanon King Kaeow on the northbound carriageway about halfway between Bangna-Trat and Bangkok-Chonburi motorways (think it was about 3 clicks north of Wat King Kaeow). A basic Thai restaurant for workers in a long low bamboo style hut with reed roofing. Probably the most impressive cheap Thai restaurant I have been to in Bangkok, where even though the dishes are cheap the owner engages with all the customers to find out what they think of the food. Their massaman chicken curry is to die for - the equivalent of finding some small proprietor-run restaurant in a Montmartre back-street with killer coq au vin. Sometimes it runs out early as do other dishes, which shows it is no flash-wok or microwave jockey establishment

Edited by SantiSuk

Used to be a cart lady down Soi 4 Sukhumvit, past the Nana Plaza entrance on the other side, who had the best นั้มจิ้ม and terrific broth too. That was years ago, not sure if she's still there.

The two best places I've found through extensive searching and sampling are:

1.) Petchaburi Road/Petchaburi Soi 30. Note that there are two Khao Man Gai places along this south side of Petchaburi Road. I think the better one is the second one on the right walking away from Ratchaporarop, so the one on the corner of Petchaburi Soi 30. This may be the one Santi Suk is referring to?

2.) Victory Monument, come down the stairs and walk east on the north side of Ratchwithi Road, this place is along here just before or just after the big SCB branch.

For the absolute best in the region, head to Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice in the Maxwell Road Food court in Singapore, once the smoke clears.

There is an evening sidewalk-based KMG cart on the south side of Sukhumvit Road, just 30 meters west of Soi 4 which is OK.

There are a ton of Thai food blogs which have other suggestions.

example: http://importfood.com/thai_vendors/saochingcha_chaiyo.html

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100308035856883615926.00048fe473639566d0235

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/food-features/355054/guru-guide-to-street-food

http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2012/03/thai-khao-man-gai-chicken-rice/

This is #1 on my list (above);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LyMpu0cO4

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The two best places I've found through extensive searching and sampling are:

1.) Petchaburi Road/Petchaburi Soi 30. Note that there are two Khao Man Gai places along this south side of Petchaburi Road. I think the better one is the second one on the right walking away from Ratchaporarop, so the one on the corner of Petchaburi Soi 30. This may be the one Santi Suk is referring to?

2.) Victory Monument, come down the stairs and walk east on the north side of Ratchwithi Road, this place is along here just before or just after the big SCB branch.

For the absolute best in the region, head to Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice in the Maxwell Road Food court in Singapore, once the smoke clears.

There is an evening sidewalk-based KMG cart on the south side of Sukhumvit Road, just 30 meters west of Soi 4 which is OK.

There are a ton of Thai food blogs which have other suggestions.

example: http://importfood.com/thai_vendors/saochingcha_chaiyo.html

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100308035856883615926.00048fe473639566d0235

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/food-features/355054/guru-guide-to-street-food

http://www.eatingthaifood.com/2012/03/thai-khao-man-gai-chicken-rice/

This is #1 on my list (above);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LyMpu0cO4

I certainly agree that #1 on the list above is indeed good, but not quite as good as what I grew accustom to. I believe it is called Gai Tawn and while I enjoy it I was hoping to find something just a bit better or at least other options of the same calibre.

I have to disagree with #2. It is very close to where I live and, in my opinion, not very good. Their chicken is often a bit mushy/soggy in texture and the sauce is rather different than the standard and not very good. They also tend to be a bit inconsistent.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Edited by CPT

I certainly agree that #1 on the list above is indeed good, but not quite as good as what I grew accustom to. I believe it is called Gai Tawn and while I enjoy it I was hoping to find something just a bit better or at least other options of the same calibre.

I have to disagree with #2. It is very close to where I live and, in my opinion, not very good. Their chicken is often a bit mushy/soggy in texture and the sauce is rather different than the standard and not very good. They also tend to be a bit inconsistent.

OK, it seems like you have a fair bit of experience with Khao Man Gai in Bangkok. Maybe you could share your experiences too?

Can you share the name/address of the #2 place on my list, as you live nearby?

Hopefully you'll follow up with any of your finds.

Maybe dig through the various Bangkok Street food Blogs, and ask a Thai friend to troll the Thai food blogs for you.

Edited by lomatopo

OK, it seems like you have a fair bit of experience with Khao Man Gai in Bangkok. Maybe you could share your experiences too?

Can you share the name/address of the #2 place on my list, as you live nearby?

Hopefully you'll follow up with any of your finds.

Maybe dig through the various Bangkok Street food Blogs, and ask a Thai friend to troll the Thai food blogs for you.

#2 is Jae Waa Khao Man Gai. I don't know the actual address but it is right at the bottom of the staircase across Ratchwithi from Center One.

I'm afraid I have pretty much exhausted my limited knowledge of Khao Man Gai in the city here in this thread. The best i have found so far is Kai Tawn on Petchaburi. I've tried many of the places in the Victory Monument area and haven't found anything particularly good. There is a fair selection of Khao Mohk Gai (Thai style Biryani) along Ratchwithi near the hospitals (opposite side of victory monument from the Khao Man Gai place) and many offer Khao Mon Gai as well but I have yet to sample many as I always get distracted by the Khao Mohk Gai.

I have made something of a list based on what I've found online and will to start working through it, maybe two per week, and see what I can find. I will happily report back if I find anything particularly note worthy.

I think I was spoiled by the place I use to go in Chiang Mai. It was one of those little shops with a perpetual line and always sold out before lunch time. Hoping to find something similar here.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by CPT

I think I was spoiled by the place I use to go in Chiang Mai. It was one of those little shops with a perpetual line and always sold out before lunch time

And what is the name, and location, of your go to place in Chiang Mai?

I have made something of a list based on what I've found online and will to start working through it, maybe two per week, and see what I can find. I will happily report back if I find anything particularly note worthy.

Can you share your current working list?

Please report back, good or bad, so we know which places to seek out, and which to avoid.

I think I was spoiled by the place I use to go in Chiang Mai. It was one of those little shops with a perpetual line and always sold out before lunch time

And what is the name, and location, of your go to place in Chiang Mai?

Can you share your current working list?

Please report back, good or bad, so we know which places to seek out, and which to avoid.

The place in Chiang Mai is called Dan Khao Man Gai, it is located alongside Gad Somyak in San Sai (Off hwy 118 / Thanon Kaew Nawarat maybe 250 meters from it's intersection with the hwy 3029 / the Middle Ring Rd). Get there before noon and don't plan on getting one of their limited tables. The Khao Man Gai is awesome and that is all they serve.

The working list is below plus a couple places in Nang Lerng Market, Yaowarat, and on Soi Rang Nam. I am not sure if all of these are still open and I have vague info on a few but this is what I am working with. This has blossomed from an interest to something of an obsession over the last couple days... I'll be sure to take notes and share. Suggestions are most appreciated.

Bandit Kim Khao Man Gai Convent or Khao Man Gai Convent for short (Tue-Sat 6am-2:30pm. Soi Convent, 089-481-9892, B40-B45 per dish

Mongkolchai, Thewet (314 Krungkasem Rd [written in Thai numbers, look for electricity meter no. J-003308, 314], near Thewet Narumitr Bridge, tel. +66 (0)2 282 1991, 6am-1:30pm. Price: 40 baht)

Ruenton Restaurant (Montien Hotel, lobby level, 54 Surawongse Road, tel +66 (0)2 234 8060. BTS: Sala Daeng. Open 11am-11pm. 230 baht-plus)

Khao man Kai "Jae Yee" opposit Wat Sraket (Golden Mountain)

Khao man kai Midnight, Rangsit

JumJim Rangsit

Kuan Ah, 884/9 Rama 3 Rd., Bangkok, Thailand *

Suan Sone, 103-105 Pracharat Soi 7, Bang Sue, 02-587-5344. Open daily 8am-6pm

Boon Tong Kiat 440/5 in front of Thonglor Soi 16, Bangkok, 02-390-2508. Open daily 10am-10pm.

Jae Aoun Bangkaen Market, Sena Soi 1, Bangkok, 089-771-2145. Open daily 23 hrs (closed 4-5pm)

Nai-Thong 983/20, Soi Sathupradit 58, Sathupradit Rd., Yannawa, Bangkok, 02-682-4253. Open daily 7am-2:30pm, except for the second and fourth Mon of every month.

Near Paolo Memorial Hospital, 670/6 Phahonyothin Rd., Bangkok, 02-270-1107. BTS Saphan Khwai. Open daily 8am-7pm, except for the last Wed of every month.

Khao Mun Gai 888 -588/41, in front of Pattanakarn Soi 50, Bangkok, 02-722-7286, 081-722-6486. Open daily 7am-11pm.

Kao man gai stall Near the corner of Tanon Chaisi and Tanon Samsen, about 5 stalls in, with Tanon Chaisi on the right, Daily 5pm - 10pm (David Thompson suggestion)

Khao Man Gai stall Sukhumvit soi 38, Thong Lo market

Shanghai Chicken Rice Rama 4 Rd., Khlong Tan, Klong Toey - 24hr

Edited by CPT

Used to be a cart lady down Soi 4 Sukhumvit, past the Nana Plaza entrance on the other side, who had the best นั้มจิ้ม and terrific broth too. That was years ago, not sure if she's still there.

She changed sides - now closer to Nana Plaza entrance on the same side. She & her kids seem to alternate running the cart throughout the day / night. It's almost a 24-hour business. But often runs out - and after that just has ordinary Thai soup, rather than the authentic goods...

Edited by bangkokfanatic

The best I have had is a shop near where we live in Minburi. Go to Ramindra Road, Soi 109. About 25 meters before Soi 109 you will see a shop that sells Khao Man Gai so if you're in the area give it a try. They have a small dining area in the back.

• 1 month later...