Hainese Chicken Rice

LawrenceChee

Been on a good craze now that I'm back and have tons of time on hand to try everything

Today been to a chicken rice store i was told is the best in Chiang Mai with a long history in CM

all priced at 30/40 baht along the Sunday walking market street that has a brisk business for the hour I was there ; non stop flow of Thai and families there to chomp on the chicken...they have moo satay and fried chicken and the white chicken option

I tried all 3 and they are all good !!!

Enjoy :-)

post-160540-13693891924896_thumb.jpg

post-160540-13693891726414_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Chicken and Rice is the second pic. The pork satay with peanut sauce is also good, get a piece of toasted bread too for wiping up the sauce !

first pic is a duck noodle shop, i been there , but it is just basic...i know a shop that will blow it away but they are relocating to
Meechoke at the moment.

Edited by KRS1

Sortie guys second picture is just for the street sign so that the google maps expert can find it ..the 2nd picture is just next to this stall

Sortie guys second picture is just for the street sign so that the google maps expert can find it ..the 2nd picture is just next to this stall

Bet your avatar is glad it is not a hot dog stall.

• Like 1

Yes. If looking at 3 kings, its the one way road on the left. Personally prefer the last one on the corner heading towards Phra Singh. They let you add the ginger, chilies, syrup yourself. But my favorite is actually off of Wulai Rd. Real chicken broth/soup, and perfectly cooked chicken.

It think the second pic is the famous one. (Kiart Ocha). That's the one you want.

Also it's at the Three Kings Monument, not Ratchadamnoen (Sunday walking street) Inthawarorot Rd IIRC.

This is brilliant! I litterally was about to post a request for Chineese style food place within walking distance of the North East corner of the moat. Going to be staying there for a few weeks and this is not an area I am very familliar with. Should be able to hunt this down.

But my favorite is actually off of Wulai Rd. Real chicken broth/soup, and perfectly cooked chicken.

Yup, that one is very good and famous too. Called Nantaram. (After the road/temple it's near)

another one to visit..haha!! ^^

Nice to see people appreciate Asian food instead of posts asking where they can find things like yorkshire pudding, pies and sausages all of which I have never eaten and never have any desire to do so. One of the pleasures of living in Thailand is the marvellous Thai food

Nice to see people appreciate Asian food instead of posts asking where they can find things like yorkshire pudding, pies and sausages all of which I have never eaten and never have any desire to do so. One of the pleasures of living in Thailand is the marvellous Thai food

coffee1.gif

I was a regular at the Kiat O-cha (Three Kings area) and for years before, when they were on Chang Khlan Road in the old Sri Tokyo Hotel.

My favorite now is Uan O-cha on Chang Khlan, opposite Chiang Mai General Hospital.

There is nothing wrong with either one. It is natural to miss foods that you have grown up with.

A lot of Thai places are mediocre, but cheap. However, there are some really excellent ones out there too, but finding out about them and then locating them is not always easy.

"A lot of Thai places are mediocre, but cheap."

You hit the nail smack dab on the head. I have found that during economic hard times, you get these fools that think it is easy to start a restaurant or cheap restaurant and also provide great tasting food that is also economical and high quality. I find that they begin cutting corners to make ends meet and this impacts on the quality of the food. Also these culinary start-ups lack the food making experience to provide much of a taste sensation. It is usually best to find those beaneries where the owner is operating it, and has been operating it for awhile, sometimes 20 years or more. Cheap food can be great food when it is done right.

• Like 2

I was a regular at the Kiat O-cha (Three Kings area) and for years before, when they were on Chang Khlan Road in the old Sri Tokyo Hotel.

My favorite now is Uan O-cha on Chang Khlan, opposite Chiang Mai General Hospital.

Is that on the right about seventy meters North of the hospital (back to the town )? Has a row of pot plants in the front and blue stools wood tables and concrete floor, outside painted white with a red awning?

"A lot of Thai places are mediocre, but cheap."

You hit the nail smack dab on the head. I have found that during economic hard times, you get these fools that think it is easy to start a restaurant or cheap restaurant and also provide great tasting food that is also economical and high quality. I find that they begin cutting corners to make ends meet and this impacts on the quality of the food. Also these culinary start-ups lack the food making experience to provide much of a taste sensation. It is usually best to find those beaneries where the owner is operating it, and has been operating it for awhile, sometimes 20 years or more. Cheap food can be great food when it is done right.

Or they start with just buying the cheapest sweet oyster-less and salt laden fish sauce add it to chemical meat so everything tastes pretty much the same. A big problem is the cheap availability of all this crap. Of course it can be done for the same price or marginally more but with a lot more effort such as buying fresh local shrimp as opposed to frozen peeled and controlling inventory etc. but this also take even more mental effort too.

Had tried this Hainanese Chicken rice shop too on a rather unusual occasion. Car broke down just after workshop fix. Had to park overnight at Wat Phra Singh while wait next morning foreman came fix it. Seem like they didn’t secure the brake pad after change the ball joint and rod.

Anyway, Tried their white chicken. Not to my liking. Still prefer Singapore/Malaysia style. Maybe I am a Malaysian. :DTheir chick serve cold and Soup is too salty with lot of MSG.

There also different in the way they served the chicken compare to Malaysia. In Malaysia, cut chicken meat will be smack with side of cleaver first, make it more soft and easy to chew. Here just cut and served, meat are more chewy.