Car Battery Drama - Taken for a Ride

DekDoi

My last battery problem was when I was back in UK.

Cold winter starts on my VW Golf diesel, did for the old battery 4 years old, I was advised to replace it with a more expensive and slightly larger Heavy Duty battery which did the job very well until I sold the car on coming out here.

john

Your big mistake was not asking for price first !, I can understand you were

panicking a bit,and at times like that its easy to make mistakes, you should have

just gone home, and sorted a new battery out next day,you could have saved

yourself bht2K, easy to say in hindsight ,but Thais can always spot an opportunity ,

not everyone,to take advantage in a situation like this.

regards Worgeordie

Why did you let the battery get fitted without asking and agreeing to the price first, or making sure it would physically fit the frame? The battery shops I've used in Pattaya have virtually every size battery known to man and if they didn't have the one you wanted one of their blokes will jump on the scooter and go and get one from somewhere.

Also, it was likely that with the drive home your old battery would have charged enough to give you another start or two the next day, so the "rush" to do something wasn't that urgent. It's rare that a battery just dies without prior indication of getting past its used by date. Unless of course the battery had been causing issues for some time and you had been ignoring it until it finally died for good.

EDIT - As the battery is oversize, make sure that it isn't over height as well and touching your hood/bonnet. There will be a sound proofing matrial on the inside of the hood - see if there are any indentations there. If it's touching then eventually the terminals will wear through their protective rubber cover and then the hood lining. The result will be a charred wreckage on the side of the road. Many people only worry about the depth/width when oversize and don't realise what over height can do.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Very true about battery heights. We use to use RL Bedford trucks in the Kiwi Army many years ago and one of the inheriant faults was with its battery. The battery compartment was under the passengers seat and over time the metal seat base would sag and end up touching the 2 terminals. Believe me, vehicle batteries can contain a fair charge.... in this case we usually flew out of the seat rather quickly from a burnt arse.

I have also seen vehicle batteries to arc weld metal together, powerful stuff. So you can imagine what may happen should the 2 battery terminals touch the bare metal of your car bonnet/hood.

I hope your car is safe!

Regards

Edited by CMKiwi
  • Like 1

Batteries don't last long here if you don't look after them. Check the distilled water level frequently and get yourself a battery tester so you know when it's almost time to replace it. Keeping a set of jump leads handy is also recommended. Keeping the car covered or under cover when not in use does help make certain things last longer. You should also check your tyre pressures at least once a month too as rubber/nylon breaks down faster in tropical conditions.

I know some folks just don't understand anything mechanical but a little bit of common sense and care will keep your motoring stress free.

I had a battery replaced on Super Hiway 11 and 1006 and told them I wanted to keep the old one. They took it 4x, basically every time I looked away, and finally I had them put it in the back of my SUV and closed the back. After paying I came back to the car to find they had taken it out and closed the door behind them! I got it back and gave it to my gardner so he could sell for a little extra money for himself. Last time I went to a little shop on 1001 near Mae Jo and the nice young guy offered me 400 bht for my old battery, so like people all over the world there are good and bad, just nice to find the good ones.

I had a battery replaced on Super Hiway 11 and 1006 and told them I wanted to keep the old one. They took it 4x, basically every time I looked away, and finally I had them put it in the back of my SUV and closed the back. After paying I came back to the car to find they had taken it out and closed the door behind them! I got it back and gave it to my gardner so he could sell for a little extra money for himself. Last time I went to a little shop on 1001 near Mae Jo and the nice young guy offered me 400 bht for my old battery, so like people all over the world there are good and bad, just nice to find the good ones.

Yep; a nice little earner for the battery boys. Our local recycle man is offering 600 Baht for a used battery this weekend.

thanks for the feedback ..

Totally agree .. the big mistake - not confirming a price before turning off the engine .. doh !

Anyway, lesson learnt and here is a pic of the battery being fixed safely in place thanks to the battery shop on Mahidol Road

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=609851589040197&set=a.609851495706873.1073741848.304757919549567&type=1&theater

Very true about battery heights. We use to use RL Bedford trucks in the Kiwi Army many years ago and one of the inheriant faults was with its battery. The battery compartment was under the passengers seat and over time the metal seat base would sag and end up touching the 2 terminals. Believe me, vehicle batteries can contain a fair charge.... in this case we usually flew out of the seat rather quickly from a burnt arse.

I have also seen vehicle batteries to arc weld metal together, powerful stuff. So you can imagine what may happen should the 2 battery terminals touch the bare metal of your car bonnet/hood.

I hope your car is safe!

Regards

Cheers fellow Kiwi - had the same problem with an old VW bug that I was a passenger in. Overweight mate shorted the battery under the rear seat, smoke and fumes, only a 2-door, funny as a fight at the time but we were only just out and the VW became an inferno.

An RL Bedford ay......probably still being used whistling.gif

I hope your car is safe!

Regards

Cheers fellow Kiwi - had the same problem with an old VW bug that I was a passenger in. Overweight mate shorted the battery under the rear seat, smoke and fumes, only a 2-door, funny as a fight at the time but we were only just out and the VW became an inferno.

An RL Bedford ay......probably still being used whistling.gif

Well I was going to say the Bedford seat sagged due to fat bastards, but didnt really want to let on that some army types are overweight! And yes a lot of those RLs are probably still running around the middle of the North Island. I remember delivering and towing quite a few to a government disposals auction in Turangi.

I use to swear by the RL, that is until I had my fam course with the new Mercedes Unimog. Changed my mind pretty quickly and boy they were a lot warmer to drive in the winter, just a pity you couldnt warm up cans of baked beans on the manifold while driving down the road. That was one good thing about the RL..... and probably the only one come to think of it.

Catch you around

• Like 1

Is this the place mentioned by OP > http://goo.gl/maps/wnpHY ? If so, they also have a very poor rep for NOT knowing what they're doing.

A good battery supplier on Hang Dong Rd who DOES know his product(s) and speaks excellent English, is the Cockpit franchisee up past Tesco Lotus on the airport side heading north toward Central Plaza.

• Like 2

I've never had difficulty finding a battery for my car. I buy it at the same place I get my tires. It seems to be pretty generic and readily available. And the thing last 3 to 4 years. Just need to put in some battery water every now and then. But I never wait until it dies out completely. If I get any hint that it's fading, I replace it pronto.

Why did you let the battery get fitted without asking and agreeing to the price first, or making sure it would physically fit the frame? The battery shops I've used in Pattaya have virtually every size battery known to man and if they didn't have the one you wanted one of their blokes will jump on the scooter and go and get one from somewhere.

Also, it was likely that with the drive home your old battery would have charged enough to give you another start or two the next day, so the "rush" to do something wasn't that urgent. It's rare that a battery just dies without prior indication of getting past its used by date. Unless of course the battery had been causing issues for some time and you had been ignoring it until it finally died for good.

EDIT - As the battery is oversize, make sure that it isn't over height as well and touching your hood/bonnet. There will be a sound proofing matrial on the inside of the hood - see if there are any indentations there. If it's touching then eventually the terminals will wear through their protective rubber cover and then the hood lining. The result will be a charred wreckage on the side of the road. Many people only worry about the depth/width when oversize and don't realise what over height can do.

A similar thing happened years ago with my VW beetle.

The cover of the battery had been left off, and the battery is under the rear seat.

All it took was one heavy passenger, one seat spring to short out the terminals, and a loud explosion!

Drove to the nearest source of water and washed out the remains of the battery, acid, etc. Those things really go pop with Hydrogen, as the label says.

The passenger recovered too. tongue.png

• 3 months later...

Interesting point about tyre pressures-talked to the gf about gas stations and tyre pressures-blank look. We checked at the gas station next refill-blank look.

Both thought this farang crazy expecting an airline and gauge at a filling station, so where do you guys go to check/inflate?

Seems a dumb question since every country I have lived/worked/holidayed in has air lines at gas stations! GF also found it a strange notion that anyone would EVER need to check motor bike tyres - but then she has only had bikes for about 10 years I think!!!

Batteries don't last long here if you don't look after them. Check the distilled water level frequently and get yourself a battery tester so you know when it's almost time to replace it. Keeping a set of jump leads handy is also recommended. Keeping the car covered or under cover when not in use does help make certain things last longer. You should also check your tyre pressures at least once a month too as rubber/nylon breaks down faster in tropical conditions.

I know some folks just don't understand anything mechanical but a little bit of common sense and care will keep your motoring stress free.

Interesting point about tyre pressures-talked to the gf about gas stations and tyre pressures-blank look. We checked at the gas station next refill-blank look.

Both thought this farang crazy expecting an airline and gauge at a filling station, so where do you guys go to check/inflate?

Seems a dumb question since every country I have lived/worked/holidayed in has air lines at gas stations! GF also found it a strange notion that anyone would EVER need to check motor bike tyres - but then she has only had bikes for about 10 years I think!!!

You must not be looking around the filling station carefully. All of them (that I know of) have an area to fill the tires and check the psi. Many have both the automatic pump with LED's as well as the small tank with an analogue gauge.

Thanks- I did have a good look around on a big site, and we asked the pump guy who denied all knowledge- maybe of everything.... I will try elsewhere.

You must not be looking around the filling station carefully. All of them (that I know of) have an area to fill the tires and check the psi. Many have both the automatic pump with LED's as well as the small tank with an analogue gauge.

• 7 months later...

Yep; a nice little earner for the battery boys. Our local recycle man is offering 600 Baht for a used battery this weekend.

Rather than start a new thread, can anyone recommend a place to sell a car battery? 600 sounds good of course. I bought a new battery and the battery dealer only offered 200 for the old one. Last time I sold one to a place near my house I'm sure I got double that. But that place has been leveled for development. Thanks in advance.

Rather than start a new thread, can anyone recommend a place to sell a car battery? 600 sounds good of course. I bought a new battery and the battery dealer only offered 200 for the old one. Last time I sold one to a place near my house I'm sure I got double that. But that place has been leveled for development. Thanks in advance.

Most of the recycle places will do. There is one on the MaeJo-MaeRim road, north side about 2 km from the MaeJo end, closer to the MaeJo end than to the river. That only helps if you live out there and I have forgotten where you live.

Most of the recycle places will do. There is one on the MaeJo-MaeRim road, north side about 2 km from the MaeJo end, closer to the MaeJo end than to the river. That only helps if you live out there and I have forgotten where you live.

that's very helpful as i live right there. much appreciated.

• 6 years later...

Been to the shop mentioned, they overcharge by at least 1000B. 

Found a better one, further up Hang Dong Rd, opposite the geriatric hospital, small shop, has 3K sign on the road. Selling good value Panasonic, actually the cheapest I could find, 2500B.