LCHF diet

ravip

I'm not sure what information you're looking for, but I eat a relatively low carb diet. I don't consciously have a high fat intake, as I also watch my calorie intake quite carefully, and I also have a relatively high protein intake.

The Atkins diet and related ones (South Beach etc) were/are similiar. While they don't set out to be high in fat they end up so so due to high protein.

There are all sorts of fad diets out there. I think one constant that is true of all that work is an avoidance of all processed carbs and overall limited carb intake.

Most diets will work in the short term if you adhere to them, the problem is the tendency to gain it back thereafter. (And sometimes with more to boot). Key is to find a diet that you can stay on permanently which means nothing too drastic.

• Like 1

A high carb, low fat diet can also work to reduce weight. What I have looked at as an amateur over the last thirteen years is longevity in a few other cultures around the world, and I just don't see anything resembling a low carb diet that they are eating. Lots of whole grains, vegetables, with some fruit. Foods like meat and dairy are minimal.

A high carb, low fat diet can also work to reduce weight. What I have looked at as an amateur over the last thirteen years is longevity in a few other cultures around the world, and I just don't see anything resembling a low carb diet that they are eating. Lots of whole grains, vegetables, with some fruit. Foods like meat and dairy are minimal.

Agree.

A better diet than the low carb is one that limits or eliminates dairy and limits red meat consumption with whole grains, oats, brown rice, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, fish, chicken and limited fruit as the basis for the diet. That is what I have been following very successfully for the last 25 years.

Edited by Tolley

Agree.

A better diet than the low carb is one that limits or eliminates dairy and limits red meat consumption with whole grains, oats, brown rice, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, fish, chicken and limited fruit as the basis for the diet. That is what I have been following very successfully for the last 25 years.

Glad it suits you. Have no argument with it. But the carbohydrate content might stifle weight loss and glycaemic control in a type 2 diabetic...which was what the thread was about. If you are relatively healthy, don't tend to put weight on easily and take some exercise, I think you can eat most things. Personally, I would avoid the so called healthy whole grains (no good evidence that they are indeed healthy) and keep eating a little dairy and red meat.

• Like 1

Agree.

Glad it suits you. Have no argument with it. But the carbohydrate content might stifle weight loss and glycaemic control in a type 2 diabetic...which was what the thread was about. If you are relatively healthy, don't tend to put weight on easily and take some exercise, I think you can eat most things. Personally, I would avoid the so called healthy whole grains (no good evidence that they are indeed healthy) and keep eating a little dairy and red meat.

This thread isn't about type 2 diabetes!

Oats are a fantastic food in more ways than one and give you benefits that you cant get anywhere else.

Have a look at the thread on oatmeal which has plenty of details on oats. The benefits are huge.

Brown rice is also a great food as well. Fantastic for bowel and colon health and packed with nutrients.

If you are really interested in food and nutrition you would be better off doing a naturopathy course as they are by far and away the most informed people when it comes to food and nutrition.

As far as I know, the Thais have probably been eating white rice and noodles for the last 150 to 200 years. My question would be, is it these food staples in their diet that has caused many of them to balloon with the added health problems over the last few decades or is it more likely perhaps the obvious preference for many of the young and middle aged to gravitate to many of the fast food outlets sprouting up around Thailand, especially in the shopping malls? I would think it would be the latter, but others may have their own ideas.