Thai Public Health Ministry orders nationwide surveillance measures against Coronavirus

webfact

Public Health Ministry orders nationwide surveillance measures against Coronavirus
By Digital Media

13719845062552.jpg

BANGKOK, June 24 - Thailand's Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong ordered health officials nationwide to be on alert of Coronavirus particularly in tourist destination provinces.

Mr Pradit said Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chonburi, Phuket, and Khon Kaen were especially ordered to be on high alert. He added that local hospitals are already prepared to receive suspected cases.

According to the minister, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has not been detected in Thailand but the Public Health Ministry is ready to deal with the disease. All provinces are to monitor patients with serious respiratory symptoms, particularly those having pneumonia. Disease control is to be done for both MERS-CoV and Influenza A virus subtype H7N9.

Related laboratory systems are to be set up in the Medical Sciences Department's 14 centres nationwide for fast and accurate diagnosis of the disease.

Meanwhile, permanent-secretary for Public Health Narong Sahametapat said at risk groups vulnerable to Coronavirus are Thai-Muslim pilgrims who are going to Saudi Arabia for Hajj in Sep-Oct, Thai workers returning home from the Middle East, and Thais and foreigners travelling through Middle Eastern countries.

The Public Health Minister issued health advisories in Thai, English, and Arabic languages for those entering the country, providing preliminary information about the symptoms.

The World Health Organization (WHO) on June 17 reported that 64 patients had been confirmed infected with MERS-CoV with the death toll so far at 38 in nine countries, including Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Tunisia, United Kingdom, France, Germany and Italy.

The number of patients is anticipated to rise worldwide, while all countries are to closely monitor the situation. The source of the disease still remains unclear. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-24

According to the minister, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has not been detected in Thailand but the Public Health Ministry is ready to deal with the disease.

Corona virus normally isn't fatal? So why the hooha

According to a site I found and providing I've read it properly there are five strains that can affect humans involving conditions ranging from the common cold to SARS and throw in gastroenteritis as well.

Maybe the ministry is just covering it's backside and doesn't want to mention SARS in case it affects tourism.

Isn't it quite obvious, he needs money to set up more "war rooms". With his brother being the main contractor!whistling.gif

Give us a break, the death toll worldwide is the same as a normal day on the Thai roads.

• Like 1

I believe the one that is being referred to has a high mortality rate.

It is not something to be messed around with.

Nice of the report not to mention that.

Does this mean the government will have to consider some major action then balance it against scaring off tourists ?

It does mention it.

38 deaths / 64 infections * 100 = 59.375

They are just chosing not to emphasize it.

It does mention it.

38 deaths / 64 infections * 100 = 59.375

They are just chosing not to emphasize it.

That puts it up there almost with Ebola.

Nationwide monitoring? They should probably close the airports to visitors from infected countries.

That would explain the government workers pointing a handheld temperature taking device about a foot from my forehead at HK airport yesterday afternoon. I guess that it was because I had just just come of the EK flight originating in the Middle East (they were carrying out this check as soon as I had come off the landing bridge) Notable however was that as I coming off that same EK flight a few hours later at Bangkok, there was no similar temperature checking taking place!

Well at least the announcement is pro-active and I believe that the PHM is trying to do the right thing here. Why all the knockers? Do you really think that all health professionals here are corrupt? If you don't like Thailand just leave.

Mr Pradit said Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chonburi, Phuket, and Khon Kaen were especially ordered to be on high alert. He added that local hospitals are already prepared to receive suspected cases.

According to the minister, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has not been detected in Thailand but the Public Health Ministry is ready to deal with the disease

Related laboratory systems are to be set up in the Medical Sciences Department's 14 centres nationwide for fast and accurate diagnosis of the disease.

Sounds like Chinese tablet PCs to me. Smells really fishy. 14 centers in 77 provinces all over the country. Amazing Thailand.-wai2.gif

It's not to be joked about or taken lightly! ... Q: What are the symptoms of MERS?

A: Most people who got infected with MERS-CoV developed severe acute respiratory illness with symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath. About half of them died. Some people were reported as having a mild respiratory illness.

It's not to be joked about or taken lightly! ... Q: What are the symptoms of MERS?

A: Most people who got infected with MERS-CoV developed severe acute respiratory illness with symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath. About half of them died. Some people were reported as having a mild respiratory illness.

Haven't seen anything in the British press about this. It would appear to be extremely serious. A mortality rate like that is terrifying.

"The World Health Organization (WHO) on June 17 reported that 64 patients had been confirmed infected with MERS-CoV with the death toll so far at 38 in nine countries..." The article depends on your ability to read.

That would explain the government workers pointing a handheld temperature taking device about a foot from my forehead at HK airport yesterday afternoon. I guess that it was because I had just just come of the EK flight originating in the Middle East (they were carrying out this check as soon as I had come off the landing bridge) Notable however was that as I coming off that same EK flight a few hours later at Bangkok, there was no similar temperature checking taking place!

No, they were doing it for suspected cases of Avian Flu (according to announcements there) and were scanning everyone. We came through yesterday morning as well on a flight from New York.

No, they were doing it for suspected cases of Avian Flu (according to announcements there) and were scanning everyone. We came through yesterday morning as well on a flight from New York.

In one of the threads posted from the "international news" the dreaded "sars-like" description is made. With a mortality rate like this, if they don't get it under control quickly, I can forsee quite a few travel warnings coming along.