Thai Public Health Ministry orders nationwide surveillance measures against Coronavirus

webfact

I believe the one that is being referred to has a high mortality rate.

It is not something to be messed around with.

Nice of the report not to mention that.
It does mention it.

38 deaths / 64 infections * 100 = 59.375

They are just chosing not to emphasize it.

You think reading 38 deaths out of 64 infected is playing this down? (BTW if read again you are saying that it is the WHO that is not emphasizing the situation). I simply do not believe you! Multi-language health advisories? Informing the media about diagnosis centers being set up nationwide? Not to mention you have just read about it.cheesy.gif Stick out your tongue youngster! bah.gif You don't look so good! tongue.png

Mr Pradit said Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chonburi, Phuket, and Khon Kaen were especially ordered to be on high alert. He added that local hospitals are already prepared to receive suspected cases.

According to the minister, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has not been detected in Thailand but the Public Health Ministry is ready to deal with the disease

Related laboratory systems are to be set up in the Medical Sciences Department's 14 centres nationwide for fast and accurate diagnosis of the disease.

Sounds like Chinese tablet PCs to me. Smells really fishy. 14 centers in 77 provinces all over the country. Amazing Thailand.-wai2.gif

Really? How many centers are sufficient and and how many more are technically equipped to jump in and set up for fast diagnoses. This is nothing but unfounded, uninformed crackbrained blather. What a surprise. whistling.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/deadly-coronavirus-serious-risk-hospitals-saudi-study-211117779.html

The new Middle East coronavirus that has killed 38 people after emerging late last year is a serious risk in hospitals because it is easily transmitted in healthcare environments, infectious disease experts said on Wednesday.

In a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the researchers said the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS)was not only easily transmitted from patient to patient, but also from the transfer of sick patients to other hospitals.

Nine infected patients in Saudi Arabia had received dialysis treatment at the same hospital, some at the same time.

I believe the one that is being referred to has a high mortality rate.

It is not something to be messed around with.

Nice of the report not to mention that.

"The World Health Organization (WHO) on June 17 reported that 64 patients had been confirmed infected with MERS-CoV with the death toll so far at 38 in nine countries, including Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Tunisia, United Kingdom, France, Germany and Italy."

That seems to be a significant death toll as as stated in the report.

What exactly is " nationwide surveillance " or is it just more important, decisive sounding buzz words. ?

sur·veil·lance (sschwa.gifr-vamacr.gifprime.giflschwa.gifns)

n.
1. Close observation of a person or group, especially one under suspicion.
2. The act of observing or the condition of being observed.
j
Probably "Nationwide Watch" You will see many english words used inappropriately in Asia. Especially Japan. Western Journalism was not that much different with their Banner Headlines either. Don't need to read too much into it. I think most people know what they mean.

What exactly is " nationwide surveillance " or is it just more important, decisive sounding buzz words. ?

That means there will be a telephone number available to report something on weekdays from 9:00-16:00, and only have to wait 3 or 4 days for a call back from them.

• Like 1

....with this money-grabbing government...absolutely nothing....except washing their hands of any responsibility...since they made the statement.

• Like 1

i had something for 6 weeks - worst ever

coughing freaked me out as I thought i would have an anurism

after 2 lots of anti biotics, zinc, anti oxidants, opium cough mixture, codein, etc. nothing seemed to work

So i smoked 2 packs of cigarettes and sure enough it killed it off.

Well at least the announcement is pro-active and I believe that the PHM is trying to do the right thing here. Why all the knockers? Do you really think that all health professionals here are corrupt? If you don't like Thailand just leave.

LOL, ya, pro-active... all these govt ministers are active doing big public service announcements [PR campaign events, really] to raise a huge fuss to say WARNING WARNING! But Oh NOOOOoo, we don't have any cases here in Land o Smiles! Basically, talking out of both sides of their mouth. Like the flood warning announcements a few years back: complete nonsense and misdirection from week to week, for months at a time... just so they look like theyre doing their jobs and in-control.

What you can accept as truth from these clowns' announcements is that, YES, the threat's already here, and his agency is in full cover-up mode to maintain the Tourist numbers, and so they can say later that they were ever vigilant in their jobs.

The Takeaway: stay far away from folks w/ uncontrollable coughs - wait, that's just good everyday advice.

According to the minister, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has not been detected in Thailand but the Public Health Ministry is ready to deal with the disease.

Corona virus normally isn't fatal? So why the hooha

A fatality rate of over 50% I would say is something to worry about.

According to the minister, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has not been detected in Thailand but the Public Health Ministry is ready to deal with the disease.

Think what is concerning the WHO, is the high mortality rate of those that have contracted this virus.

A fatality rate of over 50% I would say is something to worry about.
Of course they couldn't have put the word dangerous or serious anywhere in the article.

Corona virus gives you the s****ts or a horrible cough. It reads like a generic warning until you bother to note the very matter of fact statement that it has 30 in 60 deaths.

That I didn't finish reading.

I mean I understand they don't want to panic people, and there is little or nothing about this in the western press which I also read, but it is extremely serious.

Particularly, when Thailand gets a fair share of Arabs avoiding the extreme summer heat. I admit I missed the fatality stats, which are startlingly high.

Essentially, it's pretty likely it will find its way here, and if they aren't ready for it (which hopefully they are trying to), pretty likely it will cause a big problem.

In a place like Bangkok I would try to be quite vigilant, it appears very contagious.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I haven't kept up with the news on this virus, but it doesn't seem to spread very easily, thus far. It's been around for a while and the number of cases seems relatively low. The mortality rate is alarming, but I haven't seen any data about the number of people who may have gotten the virus and not been diagnosed with it and simply recovered.

Thankfully, the WHO and public health officials around the world keep an eye on the many, many threats to our health and safety and give us a warning when needed.

The fact that the Thai authorities are bringing it up would indicate that it is a good time to be concerned and to watch your and your family members health.

I haven't kept up with the news on this virus, but it doesn't seem to spread very easily, thus far. It's been around for a while and the number of cases seems relatively low. The mortality rate is alarming, but I haven't seen any data about the number of people who may have gotten the virus and not been diagnosed with it and simply recovered.

Thankfully, the WHO and public health officials around the world keep an eye on the many, many threats to our health and safety and give us a warning when needed.

The fact that the Thai authorities are bringing it up would indicate that it is a good time to be concerned and to watch your and your family members health.

They have had a couple of victims who traveled to Europe.

Very easily transmitted in places like hospitals apparently among patients and staff.

Well, that's great, but how about sorting our the "Dengue" problem first of all . . . what is it, 47,000 cases reported so far this year? Seems like a bit bigger problem to me, but what do I know.

How exactly would you do that? There will always be some puddle of water somewhere where the critters will breed. Can't get rid of mosquito's. It's up the individual to minimize the risk of being bitten.

This corona virus on the other hand can be controlled if done right.

Well, that's great, but how about sorting our the "Dengue" problem first of all . . . what is it, 47,000 cases reported so far this year? Seems like a bit bigger problem to me, but what do I know.

How exactly would you do that? There will always be some puddle of water somewhere where the critters will breed. Can't get rid of mosquito's. It's up the individual to minimize the risk of being bitten.

With a 50% mortality rate, I think its fair enough to keep your eyes and ears open about this corona virus.

With a 50% mortality rate, I think its fair enough to keep your eyes and ears open about this corona virus.

I agree. But (so far) the death toll is (relatively) low and it seems not to be very contagious. It is a concern of course, but I think there are other things here that I would be far more concerned about currently.

Well at least the announcement is pro-active and I believe that the PHM is trying to do the right thing here. Why all the knockers? Do you really think that all health professionals here are corrupt? If you don't like Thailand just leave.

Welcome To Thai Visa.......................wai2.gif