Abduction and murder case from 1986 cited by Thai police

webfact

Abduction from 1986 cited by police
Patinya Iamtan
The Nation

Killing of wealthy woman for money

BANGKOK: -- In 1986, there was an abduction and murder case similar to that allegedly committed by Santiparb Pengduang, the chauffeur of murdered businessman Akeyuth Anchanbutr. Metropolitan Police investigators recently cited the 1986 case, saying it was comparable to the circumstances in Akeyuth's abduction and murder.

The crime took place on January 4, 1986 and shortly after, Metropolitan Police arrested Pol Corporal Pairot Phukarb, a 191 Emergency police officer. He was entrusted as a bodyguard to Dr Amorn Mahapattanangkul - a well-known millionaire - but was later convicted of abducting and killing her for a large amount of cash.

Amorn was well known for donating money to charities and was entrusted by the Interior Ministry with looking after the Chao Pho Sua shrine in Phra Nakhon district. In those days, the shrine was much respected by Chinese people who donated money to it on a daily basis.

Amorn handled the donations honestly, which led to conflicts with a number of local Mafia groups that wanted to profit from the donations. As a result, Amorn sought protection from police and Pairot was assigned to act as her bodyguard, thus giving him access to personal information about her movements.

ak.jpg
click HERE for large image

On the day of the murder, Amorn left her house on Soi Phaholyothin 22, Bang Khen district, in her Volvo car. Pairot was acting as bodyguard and sat beside the chauffeur in the front. After Amorn finished her business and left Janpen Restaurant, Pairot tricked Amorn into believing that a car was following them. Pairot then told the driver to speed up and head for Saraburi. He also told Amorn to lie down on the floor for her safety. Once they reached Saraburi, Pairot pulled out a gun, handcuffed Amorn, and ordered her to lie down again. He then forced the driver at gunpoint to drive to Pairot's home in Kalasin province.

When they arrived, Pairot took Amorn to the house of his brother, Sompak Phukarb. He forced Amorn to write a hand-written letter to her husband asking him to pay a Bt2 million ransom.

Pairot then took Amorn back to the car and forced the driver at gunpoint to drive to an isolated forest area about 8km away, where he shot Amorn dead. Pairot's brother and two other relatives then buried Amorn's body in the forest, but not before they removed the Bt2 million worth of cash from her car.

They then forced the chauffeur to return to Bangkok to hand over the letter to Amorn's husband.

At the time, the Northern Metropolitan Police Division was in charge of the case. Investigators found discrepancies in Pairot's statements and interrogated him until he confessed. He eventually led police to the location where he and his relatives had buried Amorn. The chauffeur also appeared as a witness against him. Pairot admitted that he abducted Amorn because he wanted the cash she was carrying.

The jury found him guilty and he was given the death sentence, but it was commuted to a sentence of 50 years, because he confessed to the crime. However, Pairot only served 13 years before being released.

At that time, many suspected that the Mafia was behind Amorn's murder, but no evidence was ever found to substantiate the theory.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-24

"At that time, many suspected that the Mafia was behind Amorn's murder, but no evidence was ever found to substantiate the theory."

If you substitute mafia for PTP then they could be onto something.

• Like 2

It was only a matter of time until a comparison was drawn with another case in an attempt to divert attention from any real facts surrounding Ekayuth's murder.

The intention here is to say, it's happened before, it was straightforward and the circumstances in this case could easily be just the same.

Same same but completely different (but nice try). No doubt we'll see a couple more simple robbery comparisons yet but it's unlikely they'll dig one up where the perps allegedly threw away the haul after they'd killed someone supposedly solely for that purpose.

They have gone back almost 30 years to find a crime that "fits" the current mystery. I just wonder how many other suspicious cases there were during that time that also smelled as fishy as the Ekayuth case.

• Like 1

Really?

"Abduction and Murder Case from 2398 BC Cited by Cup-O-Coffee"

What emphatically, utterly impossibly thick-headed idiots!

Does this suggest that the Thai police are Impotent, weak, helpless, powerless, unable, ineffective, ineffectual and feeble? How appalling!

Really?

"Abduction and Murder Case from 2398 BC Cited by Cup-O-Coffee"

What emphatically, utterly impossibly thick-headed idiots!

Does this suggest that the Thai police are Impotent, weak, helpless, powerless, unable, ineffective, ineffectual and feeble? How appalling!

Correct.

• Like 1

Envy, and greed looks like it played a deadly factor in both cases. EIther way, it's still sad. With all of the things that I see on the news that my wife is telling me about, I still see the same two factors in almost every murder that I've seen on the news since February. I'm not going to knock, or harp on any subject until this man is given his due rites to a funeral by his family. I have that much respect.wai2.gif Even then, I'll just read the news here until "The Keystone Koppers" find out which way did they go, what they did do, how many were involved, how much money was really on him, what items were missing, DNA, fingerprinting, and when they should just have the family beat the living daylights out of the murders, and let the police just shoot them behind the house off the camera to have the morgue to come to pick them up as "John Doe #1,2,3, and a 4th ". Damn. That slipped.blink.png

Thai justice and police are so tainted with corruption and bribery that even attempting to dwell on past or current cases of homicides in the LOS are a mute subject and not even worth the time unless they get serious about cleaning up their problem and start with a clean slate of trustworthy people.

• Like 1

The Police believe people will just accept this at face value to cover up their complicity or incompetence.

Shame on the Nation for yet again just parroting a Thai Police statement.

Where oh where is the integrity and journalism in this country?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Police believe people will just accept this at face value to cover up their complicity or incompetence.

Shame on the Nation for yet again just parroting a Thai Police statement.

Where oh where is the integrity and journalism in this country?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Where, you ask? Well, I'm not sure, but you might want to look under the PTP's thumb. Or perhaps in somebody's pocket. Certainlyit is not out in the open, available for everyone to see and inspect. coffee1.gifthumbsup.gif