Slavery on Thai fishing boats is straight from the 18th century

webfact

I have a neighbour who was a fisherman 10 years ago on a 10 foot boat with a crew of 60 people. The problems on board was mainly that the crew was divided in gangs from Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Vietnam and Burma.

About once a month somebody disappeared in the night, dumped overboard by rivals as revenge for the last guy who disappeared. Or because of a stupid quarrel.

My neighbour tells me that this was the reason fishermen were found washed up ashore tortured and killed. Not because the captain was a slave master, he had too big a crew to maintain any kind of order.

It may be different now if the thai fishing fleet has newer boats with more equipment and smaller crews. But I doubt it.

A ten foot boat with 60 people aboard.....six people per running foot....just how wide was that boat, anyway?

Edited by unanimosity
  • Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, isn't most Thai laws and traditions still operating in the 18th century era. Give 'em time...Thailand will catch up...maybe.

The time in New York is 1 p.m., and in Thailand it is 1750.

Actually it is 2556. lol.

I have a neighbour who was a fisherman 10 years ago on a 10 foot boat with a crew of 60 people. The problems on board was mainly that the crew was divided in gangs from Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Vietnam and Burma.

About once a month somebody disappeared in the night, dumped overboard by rivals as revenge for the last guy who disappeared. Or because of a stupid quarrel.

My neighbour tells me that this was the reason fishermen were found washed up ashore tortured and killed. Not because the captain was a slave master, he had too big a crew to maintain any kind of order.

It may be different now if the thai fishing fleet has newer boats with more equipment and smaller crews. But I doubt it.

A ten foot boat with 60 people aboard....just how wide was that boat, anyway?

Lol. I was told they slept anywhere they could and needed so many ppl because they fished with nets and all labour was done by hand. No hydraulics.

And ofcourse all the upset and selfrightious posters here will stop buying and eating seafood??whistling.gif

Or not?coffee1.gif

You ask the question and perhaps there is no particular issue within Thailand.But I assure you unless the Thai Government and seafood industry manage this problem intelligently there is a very real threat of an overseas boycott.It wouldn't kill the industry, not least because the supply chain is very complicated and it's very difficult to identify exactly what product is "Thai".But the public relations problem could be huge and there is every incentive for the Thais to clamp down hard on illegal and criminal behaviour within the industry.

Ditto for Vietnamese refugees heading to Malaysia:

Horrible Statistics of Thai Pirates vs Vietnamese Refugees

I’m think it's not only fishing but also corn product. Plant rice and cut it very hard work 200 - 300 bath pr day 8 hour work. I have live in Thailand many years and the money for work like this not have race specific for the workers.

When a rice producer put his price up for buying the rice then he also have to pay more to the workers there selling the rice to him. but he not pay more mostly small payment because they run around with a something to see about the rice is wet or dry. wet rice give small money and dry rice give some more money. I have here about 6 - 8 bath pr kilo

Ah. So it's all just a big misunderstanding.

Did you ask your neighbour what he received in payment?

* Not a misunderstanding, but an opinion that there may be more to it.

* Yes, I did ask him. He worked there for 6 months and received 12 000 Baht and 10 kg fish. He never went back to sea.

* Yes, I did ask him. He worked there for 6 months and received 12 000 Baht and 10 kg fish. He never went back to sea.

Strewth, 12,000 baht for six months? If I may ask, how many years ago was this?

Strewth, 12,000 baht for six months? If I may ask, how many years ago was this?

(Read above) 10 years ago.

Edited by Espen

Well, isn't most Thai laws and traditions still operating in the 18th century era. Give 'em time...Thailand will catch up...maybe.

Taking note of the fact that you have entered the absurd number of over 6500 posts in this forum, it is no suprise that in order to stay on a roll you have just said nothing.coffee1.gif

Anyone surprised about this "Buddhist" nation?

whats your point of bringing religion to it? need no to beat around the bush

He's right, PaullyW. That being said; Anyone surprised about this "Gargoyle-wearing, Gucci-Bag-toting, Jet-setting Buddhists" nation? "Was in Tuk Com the other day and saw three more of them pawing over iPads. But I digress...

Regarding the OP; I truly find this story very difficult to believe. It seems that fish stories really do originate with sailors on the open sea. All that horrible telling, and not even one regaling of mutiny. Hmmm.

What surprise me is the number of Thai Visa posters so willing to drag religion or Buddhism into every thing that is negative and not a word of it on positive points in Thailand.

And they think the Thai system of education is bad. I wonder what kind of education they got.

Wake up people religions and Buddhism do not do wrong it is the members in them that do wrong. the same goes for atheist's. What does an atheist blame his wrong doing on. "lack of religion"?

Yeah right...and guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people....

That's a horrible thing to say. People worldwide are concerned about this. Even citizens from your country, right?

concerned? perhaps. but actually doing something against it? i don't think so. check the labels in your clothes... all made by poor (children) in sweatshop. unless u can afford expensive designer clothes that is. however, even those get now manufactured in (be-)low-wage countries (ie. exploitation).

I'd be willing to pay more for my goods and services if I could be assured they were produced by higher standards for the workers. But how do you make that happen?

I have no idea, however, I've been buying 2nd hand clothes only for the last 11 years or so, both in thailand and europe. You can laugh with that but the quality of these goods is often MUCH better than the stuff made anno 2013 and u're not actively supporting corporations who exploit people. there's overkill of used clothes in thailand and if u have time to browse you can find incredibly (originally very expensive) stuff for 50-100 bath. my thai friends always laugh with me as they don't understand why a foreigner with enough cash buys "used" stuff but then everytime I show them what i just bought they want the same. haha! recent example: rain jacket from K-WAY: 30 bath. in zipper bag. probably from the '80s, hardly used.

• Like 1

Wana bet that some of the seafood harvested/processed by slave workers ends up in the European Union market as well?

I detest this type of barbaric cruelty; however, I wish more consumers would refuse to buy products produced/harvested in this manner. If consumers won't buy a product, then companies can't make money and they will either change their ways or go out of business.

Off topic, but those evil persons responsible should be sentenced to- working on one of the slave ships, in similar conditions.

But good luck with that...

Where was he fishing ?...Gulf of Thailand ?...if he was one suspects he is giving you a fisherman's tale, I have worked the Gulf of Thailand for over 10 years and see fishing boats every day, and have yet to see one 10 foot long, never mind with 60 people on it...so I am calling BS on this story or you have misunderstood what he told you..

"gangs" on-board...LOL...think he is winding you up....if the master cant keep control of his crew due to having "gangs" on-board....it would be the master swimming with the fish..

Are bodies from suspected "slave" fishermen found in the Gulf, most certainly,...at least 1 or 2 a year based on the reports I have seen, and some even have bullet holes in them..

but do

• Like 2

Where was he fishing ?...Gulf of Thailand ?...if he was one suspects he is giving you a fisherman's tale, I have worked the Gulf of Thailand for over 10 years and see fishing boats every day, and have yet to see one 10 foot long, never mind with 60 people on it...so I am calling BS on this story or you have misunderstood what he told you..

"gangs" on-board...LOL...think he is winding you up....if the master cant keep control of his crew due to having "gangs" on-board....it would be the master swimming with the fish..

Are bodies from suspected "slave" fishermen found in the Gulf, most certainly,...at least 1 or 2 a year based on the reports I have seen, and some even have bullet holes in them..

but do

It might be a "fisherman story" and he is winding me up. If you have worked the gulf of Thailand for over 10 years you surely know what you are talking about better than I do.

but do

I suspect he means 10 meters.

I can remember going back 7 years or so, a commercial wooden fishing boat anchored very close to Koh Tao and the captain went ashore to get drunk. Shots rang out in the early morning and it transpired one of the Burmese crew had taken the captain's gun and shot the 4 Thais that were operating the boat.

I see these boats on a daily basis, and often do a head count as its amusing how many crew are on these trawlers. Average is about 25 crew on a standard 20 meter trawler. Its labor intensive for them to sort the catch into baskets. FWIW the crew on these boats are usually smiling and waving and seem happy enough.

but do

I can remember going back 7 years or so, a commercial wooden fishing boat anchored very close to Koh Tao and the captain went ashore to get drunk. Shots rang out in the early morning and it transpired one of the Burmese crew had taken the captain's gun and shot the 4 Thais that were operating the boat.

I see these boats on a daily basis, and often do a head count as its amusing how many crew are on these trawlers. Average is about 25 crew on a standard 20 meter trawler. Its labor intensive for them to sort the catch into baskets. FWIW the crew on these boats are usually smiling and waving and seem happy enough.

Even at 10 meter, 30 foot...60 people on-board....dont think so, where would they keep the fishing tackle then ?....also think about it 60 people, average weight 60kg = 3.6 metric tons of addtional weight on a wooden hulled vessel..

20 meter vessel with 25 crew sounds far more realistic

• Like 1

but do

Even at 10 meter, 30 foot...60 people on-board....dont think so, where would they keep the fishing tackle then ?....also think about it 60 people, average weight 60kg = 3.6 metric tons of addtional weight on a wooden hulled vessel..

20 meter vessel with 25 crew sounds far more realistic

So if you take in account the 50% BS rule when told a story by a thai, it sounds about right. ;)

Perhaps the U.S. Government should adopt the "3 Strikes - You're Out!" policy that some states have in regards to crime. They've now warned Thailand 4 times and basically nothing has happened. 1st should have been a "concerned recommendation". 2nd should have been a "stern warning". 3rd should have been - "Sorry, Charley (or Somchi), but you were warned."

As for those saying that "religion" shouldn't be brought into it, actually, yes, it should. Thailand touts itself as a "peaceful Buddhist country" in all the advertising, which is one of the biggest lies being told. If they were just half as sincere about Buddhism as they profess to be, you wouldn't be reading about this kind of misery, you wouldn't be seeing daily headlines of hi-so's and university gangs killing each other. You wouldn't see the constant, non-stop reports of scams and rip-offs, especially of tourists. You wouldn't see the daily stories about corruption. The people of Thailand, and especially an overwhelming large portion of monks who are exposed for flaunting their "wealth", or being caught in immoral sexual acts. The "Buddhism" in Thailand is about as far from the teachings of Lord Buddha as you can get.

• Like 1

Anyone surprised about this "Buddhist" nation?

Hey, intellectual, what does Buddhism has to do with the subject?

Please don't tell me that you are from Alberta.

Let me guess you profess to be Buddhist ?...but yet you insult the person making the original comment...ergo you are no different then than the OP...

Perhaps the U.S. Government should adopt the "3 Strikes - You're Out!" policy that some states have in regards to crime. They've now warned Thailand 4 times and basically nothing has happened. 1st should have been a "concerned recommendation". 2nd should have been a "stern warning". 3rd should have been - "Sorry, Charley (or Somchi), but you were warned."

As for those saying that "religion" shouldn't be brought into it, actually, yes, it should. Thailand touts itself as a "peaceful Buddhist country" in all the advertising, which is one of the biggest lies being told. If they were just half as sincere about Buddhism as they profess to be, you wouldn't be reading about this kind of misery, you wouldn't be seeing daily headlines of hi-so's and university gangs killing each other. You wouldn't see the constant, non-stop reports of scams and rip-offs, especially of tourists. You wouldn't see the daily stories about corruption. The people of Thailand, and especially an overwhelming large portion of monks who are exposed for flaunting their "wealth", or being caught in immoral sexual acts. The "Buddhism" in Thailand is about as far from the teachings of Lord Buddha as you can get.

absolutly correct,my wife says its convenient to hide behind there chosen teacher,pure hypocrasy,,not all though i may add,,,,,,but a lot,,,,

As I understand, they very nearly did slip down the list to a point that they would have faced embargo, but came up with a "written" plan to implement to solve the issue.

So, they bought themselves 12 months, but their card is well and truly marked. I can't believe they are going to be able to solve the issue in 12 months.

I wonder if this extends to "Chicken of the Sea", a Thai owned brand.

Wana bet that some of the seafood harvested/processed by slave workers ends up in the European Union market as well?

I detest this type of barbaric cruelty; however, I wish more consumers would refuse to buy products produced/harvested in this manner. If consumers won't buy a product, then companies can't make money and they will either change their ways or go out of business.

Off topic, but those evil persons responsible should be sentenced to- working on one of the slave ships, in similar conditions.

But good luck with that...

I'm having a hard time getting the link to this PDF document, but it says the EU is the #1 importer of seafood globally. Japan #2, US #3. But US is tops for Thai shrimp.

There was a good documentary from the BBC last year on this problem. I'll try to find the link.

but do

A lot more than 1 or 2 a year. I read about almost 1 per month. And I'm sure many are never reported in the press, and many are never found.

Imposition of Puritan morality

The other thing that bothers me is that you see this statement repeatedly in the report (across countries), this year and in past years: "The government did not make an effort to reduce the demand for

commercial sex acts during the year."

First of all, it's not clear to me how a government can reduce demand for commercial sex (rather than supply). Second, what gives the Americans the right to condemn 'commercial sex' between two free and consenting persons?? Absolutely ridiculous...

The way to reduce demand is to impose severe penalties on the purchaser. In the US some local jurisdictions publish names and sometimes even pictures. If you are living in an area that takes those steps, you may decide to not use commercial sex.

But, I completely agree that sex, free or paid, between two consenting adults should not be controlled by any government agency.

Everyone, including Americans, have the right to their opinion. And, it is not only Americans who condem commercial sex. Why are you so irritated that other people have different morals than you? Aren't you, in fact, imposing your own moral outlook by condeming Americans?

I am condemning the American government (not the American people) for telling other countries that they need to accept American morality that criminalizes consensual activities between parties in which no-one is hurt. No I am clearly not trying to impose my moral outlook on them. The difference is plain: I'm not telling the American government how to run its country and what activities should be criminalised. I am simply saying that they have no right to tell us (other countries) what consensual non-harmful activities we need to ban. The imposition of morality is flowing in one direction only...

The buyer has the right to ask that the supplier at least complies with the suppliers own country's laws, doesn't he?

Is forced labour legal in Thailand? Not the last time I looked. The labour law in Thailand is fairly easy to interpret, so to comply if you own a fishing boat shouldn't be to confusing.

They even write it in Thai so the locals can read it.

Yes - you are right insofar as 'slavery' on fishing boats is concerned. However, if you look at the exchange here, I was not talking about that aspect of the report. I was talking about the report's demand that countries eliminate the demand for 'commercial sex' (in general). I live in a country (Singapore) where commercial sex is legal and well-regulated, but the Americans condemn Singapore (and many other nations) for not dealing with the demand for commercial sex. That's what I object to. They are within their right to say that, within their own borders, they will not tolerate the exchange of sex for money between two freely consenting adults; but I ask again, what right do they have to impose this morality on other countries for activities in which people participate freely and no-one is harmed.