Trip to Hanoi

KelCastro

Hanoi old city is nice for a day, probably 2 nights maximum to explore the tourist sites and the little shops, walk around the lake and chill etc. but need to know Hanoi traffic is nuts!

3 hrs in a minibus takes you to Halong bay. Take a 3* Junk for 2 nights. Google it. Absolutely priceless.

Go to Halong Bay.

Do you have any recommendations for a good company to plan with? I see many companies online, not sure who’s “best”, especially for the price.....

Wife and I and son went to Hanoi a few years back for a week and really enjoyed it. As others mentioned a 2 or 3 day trip to Halong Bay is worth the time. We spent two nights on the boat, food was great and plentiful and they offered things like kayaking, swimming. I don't remember who we booked the tour with but when you get to Hanoi you wont have any problem finding a tour company to book a tour. It seems to be luck of the draw when you book the cheaper prices although that's what we did and our trip was excellent. Another possibility would be a few days treking in Sapa, an area similar to what's on offer in Chiang Mai. A visit to the water puppet show in Hanoi is also interesting. We dont usually book day tours but since we had never been to Hanoi we did a day tour and recommend doing it. For a great buffet try Brothers Restaruant for lunch. Also you might want to go to lonelyplanet.com, click on Thron Tree and go to the Vietnam thread for lots of Vietnam travel related info.

Go to Tripadvisor, at the City field type Hanoi, select Things to Do, and Restaurants, and you'll get more suggestions than you can fit in a 3-day 2-nights trip. I've been to Hanoi 8 times, and enjoyed it every time. Stay at the Old Quarters, and explore the city by foot. The food is amazing. Quan An Ngon is the place to go for street food in a safe environment. Halong Bay is a must.

Go to Halong Bay.

Do you have any recommendations for a good company to plan with? I see many companies online, not sure who’s “best”, especially for the price.....

Wife and I and son went to Hanoi a few years back for a week and really enjoyed it. As others mentioned a 2 or 3 day trip to Halong Bay is worth the time. We spent two nights on the boat, food was great and plentiful and they offered things like kayaking, swimming. I don't remember who we booked the tour with but when you get to Hanoi you wont have any problem finding a tour company to book a tour. It seems to be luck of the draw when you book the cheaper prices although that's what we did and our trip was excellent. Another possibility would be a few days treking in Sapa, an area similar to what's on offer in Chiang Mai. A visit to the water puppet show in Hanoi is also interesting. We dont usually book day tours but since we had never been to Hanoi we did a day tour and recommend doing it. For a great buffet try Brothers Restaruant for lunch. Also you might want to go to lonelyplanet.com, click on Thron Tree and go to the Vietnam thread for lots of Vietnam travel related info.

Thanks so much for the info. We're looking to buy tickets now to Hanoi. Can't decide between a 4 or 5 day trip. Certainly looking to go to Halong Bay and do some historic touring...

Go to Tripadvisor, at the City field type Hanoi, select Things to Do, and Restaurants, and you'll get more suggestions than you can fit in a 3-day 2-nights trip. I've been to Hanoi 8 times, and enjoyed it every time. Stay at the Old Quarters, and explore the city by foot. The food is amazing. Quan An Ngon is the place to go for street food in a safe environment. Halong Bay is a must.

Thank you. We'll certainly check out Old Quarters. What's the environment like? Comparable to any area in Thailand? From your experience was it best to make tour plans in advance of upon arrival?

Thank you. We'll certainly check out Old Quarters. What's the environment like? Comparable to any area in Thailand? From your experience was it best to make tour plans in advance of upon arrival?

Lots of hustle and bustle in the Old Quarter, narrow streets and be sure to watch out for the motorcycles. I don't

think you have to make advance reservations (we didn't) but if you plan to go to Halong Bay I would book something as soon as you arrive.