Car bought in Kalasin but selling in Pattaya .Possible ?

I think you would have to start the transfer process at the Chonburi office.

Might be easier if you could arrange for the sale at the Kalasin office. The new buyer could transfer it into his name, the same as you did when you bought the car.

I done this before with a motorbike. Bike was registered in Chiang Mai where I used to live and on CM plates. Moved back to Pattaya and had to change the registration to Chonburi plates before I could sell it. You and your buyer need a residence certificate from immigration and the whole process took about 3 weeks. Right faff about, back and forth to the land transport 3 times near Regents school. In the end my wife offered the girl there some cash if she could speed up the process, and 2 days later she met us on Sukhumvit road with the new plates. You have to fill out transfer forms and they are in Thai so take a Thai with you. Just transfering the car registration from one person to another is easy enough and quick, its when the plates are from another province is what takes the time. If you are selling the car to someone in Pattaya then their residence certificate address will be the address they put on the blue/green book. So if their address is in Pattaya then the car needs to be registered in Chonburi and on Chonburi plates.

I understand that whoever buys it will have to take it to the office where it was last registered to register it in thier name, this happned to me when I bought my second hand truck in bkk,

An agent will handle this very inexpensively and then can mail the transfer docs. I'd never muck around with it myself again it's just not worth it given the time and frustration spent juts for saving a small fee of around 1000b, let someone else handle it IMO..

I like doing things myself,to see how things work or not in this country.How else would you get a feel for the place.

I have done this a couple of times - and what a pain in the butt it is.

As the previous poster said - they want you to (re) register the vehicle with local plates first (the city you are in now) and then (only then) will they start the transfer process to another owner.

As with most government led departments - there is a mountain of paperwork and running around to do before the clerk is satisfied - but you just have to persevere and keep smiling. (Don't even think about doing it without a Thai person to help)

It would be much easier to buy/sell in the province the car is registered in - then you can use it anywhere in the country on those plates. (But of course not always convenient))

I once tried to notify my new address in the registration (blue) book, as I thought it might be of use if the vehicle had an accident or something - easier to trace the owner.

I was told I had to return back to the province of original registration to do it at the office there (more than 1000 km away) - and of course - they then want to see proof of address, which of course is now not in that province and the whole mess starts to unwind......

I asked the transport office what would happen if I just keep the old address in there without updating it to my current address - he told me "no problem, Thai people never do it also".

In these days of computers and internet - I fail to see how hard this would be in any licencing office (But have to remember where I am LOL)

I did once sell a motorcycle to someone (foreigner) who wanted to ride it away immediately and that (so he thought) registering in his name would be easy (without me being present and just a copy of my passport). I stopped trying to argue with him and let him go and as expected - he hit a brick wall at the licensing office, but by that time I had moved away and could not "go with him' as I originally suggested. That bike too was registered in another province. I never did find out the outcome - but I did try to warn him when he bought it!

If theres a local shop who will do the process for you - just do it. They know the ropes and probably the desk clerk too. Save yourself the heartache.

• Like 2

Go to Wattana on Sukhumvit road the do the change for you i just finish mine take about 2 weeks to do to get the chonburi plates and registration

registration office near regents don`t do it anymore or go back with the buyer to kalasin.

An agent will handle this very inexpensively and then can mail the transfer docs. I'd never muck around with it myself again it's just not worth it given the time and frustration spent juts for saving a small fee of around 1000b, let someone else handle it IMO..

I like doing things myself,to see how things work or not in this country.How else would you get a feel for the place.

To each his own, I did it myself too until I got smart and realized it wasn't worth my time or the aggravation as they love to make foreigners jump through hoops they don't require for Thai's.. It entertains and empowers them..

• Like 1

I have done this a couple of times - and what a pain in the butt it is.

As the previous poster said - they want you to (re) register the vehicle with local plates first (the city you are in now) and then (only then) will they start the transfer process to another owner.

As with most government led departments - there is a mountain of paperwork and running around to do before the clerk is satisfied - but you just have to persevere and keep smiling. (Don't even think about doing it without a Thai person to help)

It would be much easier to buy/sell in the province the car is registered in - then you can use it anywhere in the country on those plates. (But of course not always convenient))

I once tried to notify my new address in the registration (blue) book, as I thought it might be of use if the vehicle had an accident or something - easier to trace the owner.

I was told I had to return back to the province of original registration to do it at the office there (more than 1000 km away) - and of course - they then want to see proof of address, which of course is now not in that province and the whole mess starts to unwind......

I asked the transport office what would happen if I just keep the old address in there without updating it to my current address - he told me "no problem, Thai people never do it also".

In these days of computers and internet - I fail to see how hard this would be in any licencing office (But have to remember where I am LOL)

I did once sell a motorcycle to someone (foreigner) who wanted to ride it away immediately and that (so he thought) registering in his name would be easy (without me being present and just a copy of my passport). I stopped trying to argue with him and let him go and as expected - he hit a brick wall at the licensing office, but by that time I had moved away and could not "go with him' as I originally suggested. That bike too was registered in another province. I never did find out the outcome - but I did try to warn him when he bought it!

If theres a local shop who will do the process for you - just do it. They know the ropes and probably the desk clerk too. Save yourself the heartache.

This.................. thumbsup.gif

If someone else can save me all the headaches for a thousand baht i'd rather do that and sit in a nice gogog bar with a cold beer and 'get a feel for the place' :D

• Like 1

I can see your post count here on TV rapidly increasing with an attitude like that :)

• Like 2