Phuket surf leaves Russian tourist in coma

Lite Beer

Phuket surf leaves Russian tourist in coma
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Rescue_workers_and_lifeguards
Rescue workers and lifeguards at Karon Beach prepare to take Russian tourist Kho Khay Gym, 31, to hospital after he was caught in a rip current. He remains comatose. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: A Russian tourist in Phuket lies comatose in intensive care today after being pulled from the dangerous surf at Karon Beach yesterday afternoon.

The tourist, named by Patong Hospital as Kho Khay Gym, 31, was pulled from the water by beach vendors at about 4:30pm.

“He was rushed to Patong Hospital, and later transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town,” said Karon Police Sub Lt Niphon Temsang.

According to witnesses, Mr Gym went to swim with three friends, Sub Lt Niphon explained.

“Big waves hit him and dragged him out to sea. His friends called for help from the beach vendors, and it took about five minutes to rescue him,” Sub Lt Niphon said.

Four other tourists were rescued from dangerous rip currents at Kata and Karon beaches, all marked by red “no swimming” flags yesterday.

Kata-Karon beach lifeguard Uten Singsom urged tourists not to swim in areas marked by red flags.

“We have red flags and warning signs in Thai, English, Russian, Chinese, German and Korean posted along the beach to warn tourists, and still they do not listen to us,” said Mr Uten.

“It would be much safer if they obeyed the warnings,” he added.

The frantic efforts by lifeguards – and beach vendors – to rescue tourists from rip currents at Kata and Karon followed Indian tourist Ramesh Chand Singhal, 49, drowning at Kata Beach on Saturday.

His death was the third drowning in Phuket since Thursday

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-surf-leaves-Russian-tourist-in-coma-21427.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-24

...it would seem that inadequate measures are taken to deter tourist from delving into unknown dangers....

And what measures would be put in place to deter the tourists ? Just a look at the sea conditions this past week should be enough to deter anyone. Yet ever day as i walk along Kata Beach I see novices in the white water surf zone. Let's hope the injured man recovers.

The tourist see beautiful pictures of nice blue water with nice white sand beaches and spend tons of money from their savings just to get here to see it. When they get here (at the wrong time of the year), the thing they see is rough water with white caps and say to themselves it can't be that bad and I'm not going to waste all that money I just spent getting here so I'm going to at least be able to say I went into the water when I got here. Some get away with it and tell others, "it's OK look at me I survived".

Stupid thinking which as we know leads to tragic results. Just too great of temptation. Some will never learn.

red flag what more can they do ,seems people leave there brains at bangkok airport ,been one once sea was not a problem

What more can they do? - Lots more red flags, every 10 feet. Or rope off the beach?

Maybe he thought he was a great swimmer. Maybe he doesn't read Thai, English, Russian, Chinese, German or Korean. Maybe the translation says something like"Exciting!! Goodly current freshly swim current ripe!"

• Like 1

Maybe the English, Russian, Chinese, German and Korean embassies should post a warning on their websites .

Who on earth reads their embassy websites
... and that is assuming that those who can't recognize a red flag on the seashore can read!