Vv For Girlfriend Advice Please

Hello Everyone. Some advice from all you wise people on here.

I met my girlfriend through a mutual friend and then made contact via the Internet September 2005. We corresponded via E-Mail until I was able to meet her in February just gone. After that, our contact was by phone. I am now travelling back to Thailand to spend a month with her and, if all goes well, am looking to try and secure a Visit Visa for her to return to the UK with me for an extended stay.

I have the E-Mail evidence that passed between since September, photos of us together during February and have phone records showing many, many phone calls between us (about 5 contacts per days either by text or voice). This includes 2 calls at 1 hour duration each. Of course I will have even more evidence when I go back.

Unfortunately, the evidence threshold for the 'reason to return' part is weak as she does not have a secure job or any assetts to speak of.

My thoughts were to try and emphasise the relationship side as I think this I have quite good evidence to show this. Sponsorship is not a problem as I earn over £30,000 per year and live alone in a family sized house.

Is it better for her to say to the ECO that she wanted a holiday in the UK or that she intends to continue the relationship with me in the UK?

Is her saying that she wants a holiday seen as misleading because its not really a holiday cause she wants to be with me, potentially damaging for her chances?

or

Is it better for her to say it the way it is and that she wants to visit to be with me, thus potentially damaging any argument around her intention to return?

Thanks Guys

Hi Rob,

If you present the application as being solely a holiday, this could backfire as it will soon be apparent to the ECO that your girlfriend's intention is to visit you. I would, therefore, state the purpose as being to pursue your relationship whilst allowing your girlfriend to see the UK, meet your family, and generally have a snapshot of UK life. Perhaps discuss with her where you intend to take her when she is in the UK and she can then mention this to the visa officer if/when interviewed.

There's no harm in emphasising the relationship aspect of the application, but that is not necessarily going to take the visa officer's eye off the overall ball. You wrote that your girlfriend does not have secure employment. Does this mean she does at least have a job? If so, she should provide a letter from her employer confirming her salary, job description, and the date she is expected to return to work.

All the best,

Scouse.

Thanks Scouse,

I thought that would be the case. The employment is a problem but so long as I know what I'm dealing with I can try and make preparations.

My thoughts are very much in the realm of emphasising the relationship aspect and so trying to convince the ECO that we would not want to damage any future applications, thus the reason to return.

My understanding of Thai culture is that if a Farang was to meet a girls parents then this is seen as quite a step for the girl and is good evidence of a genuine relationship. I have the option of visiting her parents when I go back on the 14th. Do you think evidence of this sort is helpful or could it be a hindrence?

Cheers

Although refusals often cite no reason to return, there is usually a very telling sentence in the refusal notice; along the lines of "I am not satisfied that you are visiting the UK for the reasons you have given."

If she says that she is merely going for a holiday then she is probably going to be asked for some sort of itinerary. Better to tell the truth and say she is coming to meet your family and get a taste of the UK before deciding whether to take the relationship further.

Many people have successfully obtained visit visas for their girl/boyfriend in your circumstances. If the ECO is satisfied that the relationship is genuine and therefore the reason for the visit is genuine then they are less concerned about a concrete reason to return. So, you should write a supporting letter briefly detailing the history of the relationship and why you have invited her to the UK at this time. Include as much evidence of contact as you can, e.g. e-mail headers and a few sample e-mails, phone records etc. A selection of photos showing the 2 of you together in different places at different times. Your passport, or certified copy of same, showing the entry and exit stamps for Thailand.

Don't try and fit the application into what you think the ECO is looking for, simply tell the truth.

I think meeting the parents is of neutral value in terms of the visa application, but would recommend it anyway for the benefit of your relationship.

What do you girlfriend's parents do? Does their status give her a reason to return?

Scouse.

Basically the top and bottom of this is that the aim of this is to simply continue as we are. I dread to think that the month will go great and then I am placed in the terrible position of not having options available to me cause the application was refused. I would imagine many farang have rushed head long into relationship because they thought they could only get their girlfreind in on a settlement visa and got married.

Her parents own a farm in Isaan so it probably wont help the application in itself. As for land in her name, the issue of her travelling back to the UK with me is quite a recent development so I dont yet have the details of what inheritence she has.

My senses tell me to focus very much on the strength of the relationship itself and build the evidence accordingly which will hopefully satisfy the reason to return. If I can convince the ECO that the relationship is genuine then I suppose that should be half the battle won.

You've all been very helpful guys and a bit more if you dont mind.

I've prepared a colour copy of my passport id page and the pages with date stamps in. How do I attest them, can I do this myself or do I need to have official verification that they are genuine copies?

Thanks Again

If you don't have your passport pages attested, it is unlikely the embassy will not accept them as genuine. However, if you do want them attested, then a solicitor will do it for a fee. Other than that, the CAB might do it for free, or if you know any police officers, civil servants etc. ask them to attest the pages, although they're not duty bound to do so.

Scouse.