Are 7 day extensions still available?

While we are on this subject, I would be grateful if anybody who has received this so-called 7-day extension would kindly scan or photograph the stamp in the passport and post it here so that I may add it to my album of Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc. I suspect that the stamp says something like "Application for extension is under consideration. Report to this office on <date>", whereby the date is 7 days after the application. This stamp is still missing in my collection, used for reference when it is necessary to show a member an example of a particular stamp for easier understanding.

Thank you.

Thanks ubonjoe.

I'll have a departure ticket.

I want to stay for 7 weeks so I'll:-

- get a 30 day visa-exempt

- get a 7 day extension

- do a border run for a 14 day visa-exempt

But not a ticket out within the 7 day extension. Might be better to get the visa exempt first before you apply for the extra 7 days.

If you fly-in to Thailand without a visa from outside of Asia, the ailrine might require you to show proof of onward travel within 30 days of arrival or deby you boarding. Best is to get a tourist visa before you fly to Thailand.

Be better to get a tourist visa (and cheaper).

As said you may be refused boarding - you may not be able to obtain 7 day (it is a disapproved extension and time to exit so ticket can be required).

While we are on this subject, I would be grateful if anybody who has received this so-called 7-day extension would kindly scan or photograph the stamp in the passport and post it here so that I may add it to my album of Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc. I suspect that the stamp says something like "Application for extension is under consideration. Report to this office on <date>", whereby the date is 7 days after the application. This stamp is still missing in my collection, used for reference when it is necessary to show a member an example of a particular stamp for easier understanding.

Thank you.

Actually since it's not technically an extension the stamp says:

APPLICATION OF EXTENSION OF STAY IS NOT APPROVE

APPLICANT MUST LEAVE THE KINGDOM NOT LATER THAN ......

And in my case the extension was tagged on to my existing permission to stay, but I understand that the seven days sometimes starts from the application date.

7 day extension.bmp

Mine was back in 2009 in Bangkok, but hopefully someone have a more recent example (and with a clearer stamp).

Sophon

Just returned from Immigration, Bangkok, this very minute. My son just got a 7 days extension on his 30 Day Stamp. Cost 1900 baht plus TM 7 with photo and copies of his passport.

Now I am seeking urgent advice on border runs and extensions etc. I, personally, have been on a retirement visa for years and I don't know anything about this stuff anymore.

Can he go to the border for another 30 Days after getting this 7 day extension?

Edited by cpofc

It is only 15 by land.

If your son is under 2O he can get an extension as your dependent based upon yours. He would need to get single non-o at any nearby embassy or consulate before he could apply though.

If not a tourist visa would be best option.

Edited by ubonjoe

Why not get a tourist visa before you travel that would give 60 days on entry.

A lot cheaper and less time consuming than an extension and a border run.

I'm in China and I'm a long way from the Thai Embassy and consulates in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu & Guangzhou.

I sent an email enquiry to one of the consulates. They won't accept mail applications and they don't offer a same day service. In fact, it's a minimum of 3 days.

The time, cost and overall hassle of making a 3 day trip to get a visa here in China is greater than the cost and drama of getting an extension and doing a border run when I'm in Thailand.

You did not mention you are in China. I am aware of the problems with getting a visa there.

You might consider just making a trip out and back by air to get a new 30 day entry. Air Asia often has airfares to nearby countries that might be less or about equal to a border run and extension of stay.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 4 months later...

It is only 15 by land.

If your son is under 2O he can get an extension as your dependent based upon yours. He would need to get single non-o at any nearby embassy or consulate before he could apply though.

If not a tourist visa would be best option.

This is no longer correct. As of this month (was officially 1 NOV, but some of the crossings didn't start handing out 30d stamps for several days), passport holders from G7 countries get 30d visa exempt, (think that's right about it being just the G7), just as if entering at an airport, instead of 15d. There's another thread here somewhere specifically about that.

Probably a good idea to verify before you go if possible that the crossing you intend to use has in fact gotten their direction & switched to 30d. If using one of the border run services, they should know.

(Edit - here's the announcement: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679721-good-news-for-holders-of-uk-usa-japan-germany-france-canada-and-italy/ )

Edited by hawker9000