Late night train arrival and questions about Chumphon

quadman

We're a party of 6 arriving by train from Bangkok on the #85 (arrival at 4:00 am) next week (1st week in July).

Chumphon Cabana has quoted us about 1,000 thb for a ride to the hotel. I know local taxis would be quite a bit less expensive but I've got no idea if there will be any taxis available at that time. Can anyone tell me if there will be less expensive options at that time.

And if you're in that area currently;

how's the weather??

Are local tours to Koh Tao still available in the low seasons (like now)

What's are the best beaches in the area?

Where is a good place to hang and chill in the evenings?

Being south I also was wondering if the area is predominantly Buddhist or Muslim?

Any suggestions for day time activities?

Thanks in advance.

Your train gonna be at least 2hr late. From the station, walk east ~ 200m, past the three retired locomotives, to the traffic light. At this intersection, wait on the northwest corner. Yellow song-taws come past every 20 min (between ~ 0600 and 1700), going to Saphli via TungWuaLaen. Journey time ~ 15min. Just say 'Cabana' - driver will know where you are going. STaw twists and turns a bit on the 15km to Cabana, which is located where the road hits the beach. 30 Baht per person, you can bring as much luggage as you can carry.

In the unlikely event your train is reasonably prompt, at the entrance to the station there is no shortage of 'taxis', which in Chumphon are blue-painted vehicles, two rows of seats in the back, four can travel very comfortably. Flat price 300B to Cabana per taxi ie. 75B each if 4 peoples.

If you've got a late night bus/train departure from Cumphon, be warned - yellow Staws stop running ~ 1700. AA

ps. Weather now on/off rainy, and TWL notorious for gnats (biting insects, to which some people react adversely, personal insect repellent containing eucalyptus and/or tea-tree oil said to be most effective). Cabana is at southern end of beach, plenty of (non-girly) bars as you walk the 2km along the beach front. Cabana has a restaurant, plenty of cheap Thai-style restaurant along southern portion of beach. Halfway is 'Pirates Terrace', cafe (of course also sells cleansing ales) open 0700 - late, many farangs hangout here. You can ask owners Thomas/Forn about dive trips etc. and if you chose the wrong day you may find me sinking a prelunch big chaang with a squirt of lime. Cheers, AA

Thanks much for those answers! Seem very helpful, we'll certainly follow your advice!

Are the knats and sand fleas really so much more bad than somewhere like Koh Mak, or Koh Chang?

ps. Weather now on/off rainy, and TWL notorious for gnats (biting insects, to which some people react adversely, personal insect repellent containing eucalyptus and/or tea-tree oil said to be most effective). Cabana is at southern end of beach, plenty of (non-girly) bars as you walk the 2km along the beach front. Cabana has a restaurant, plenty of cheap Thai-style restaurant along southern portion of beach. Halfway is 'Pirates Terrace', cafe (of course also sells cleansing ales) open 0700 - late, many farangs hangout here. You can ask owners Thomas/Forn about dive trips etc. and if you chose the wrong day you may find me sinking a prelunch big chaang with a squirt of lime. Cheers, AA

And why would it be a wrong day? Sounds like you're the helpful sort and we're definitely the friendly bunch. I may just owe you that Chang!

We're a group of 3 Thai men, myself and my wife and 1 little one with us. Keep an eye out so we can take care of that chaang!

Thanks again! Cheers!

• Like 1

And why would it be a wrong day? Sounds like you're the helpful sort and we're definitely the friendly bunch. I may just owe you that Chang!

We're a group of 3 Thai men, myself and my wife and 1 little one with us. Keep an eye out so we can take care of that chaang!

Thanks again! Cheers!

Predominantly Buddhist.

As above, not a chance in hell that train arrives at 4:00 am. Doesn't matter, as there will be tons of transport waiting for that train at the station regardless of what time it arrives. 1000B to Cabana is a rip off, you can get it much cheaper at the station. I have been to Thung Wua Laen beach over half a dozen times and have never had problems with gnats and sand fleas. Weather is great there this time of year. Mali Blues is a nice place to drink and relax. There is some incredible seafood to be had on that main strip, but the name of the restaurants escapes me at the moment. Hard to go wrong though, most places in that area are laid back and nice.

Thanks Andy, good info!! Much appreciated. That's what I figured about the 1,000 thb but the time of arrival HAD me worried.

We'll save the 1000.00 and buy some of that great seafood with it!

Cheers!

Edited by quadman

Hello Quadman, welcome to Chumphon in advance, I haven't seen a beach around Chumphon that isn't nice, the beach where you will be staying is well kept, it is cleaned every day, which means it is relatively clear of rubbish, wonderful clear warm water. As others have already said, ฿1000 is a rip off, blue tuk tuks are at the station and the yellow song teow is not far away. I have only ever arrived in Chumphon by train once in close to four years, it will most likely be at least one hour late. Enjoy your time in Chumphon, I'm sure your stay will be memorable for all the right reasons.

Tom

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I paid 500 to rent a tuk tuk right in front of the chumphom station, and he took me 30km away to the Lompraya Pier where you should take the Catamaram to Kho Tao. If more than 500 it is an assault! Do not pay! I paid 500 because it was 2:30 in the morning. No taxi at all, only the tuk tuk available.

All the information you need about the boat trip is here -> http://www.lomprayah.com/

My advice, depends where you are in chumphom, some resorts they offer kayaks, it is very nice to paddle around. Pay atention to the weather before leave with kayak!

And enjoy Chumphom, beautiful and quiet place!

Thanks much for those answers! Seem very helpful, we'll certainly follow your advice!

Are the knats and sand fleas really so much more bad than somewhere like Koh Mak, or Koh Chang?

They are sandflies and right little b-stard's they are.Get some citronella oil they don't seem to like that.

I am on the beach everyday and have not been bitten since I starting to use it.

When you walk up the beach rd from Cabana the first place you come to is The White beach restaurant then the Jasmin Bar. Friendly staff Tun and Nid, nice place to sit and chill.

Then it's Mali Blue Bar (live music some weekends and decent pizza)

Then it's Kehad Restaurant and bar and as mentioned Pirates across the road

Then Apples Cafe good coffee and snacks.

Then you have the new Nana beach bar and finally near the end of the beach you have The Funky bar and a couple more restaurants.

There are few more places dotted about but these I are the main ones used by farangs.

Oh and mines a Singer.

Hope you enjoy your stay

I am at Thung Wua Laem Beach (= Water Buffalo in Freshwater Marsh beach) every August through early November because I do bird migration research at nearby Khao Dinsor (Pencil Hill) - it is one of the great places on earth (and certainly the best in the Far East) to see raptors (hawks; falcons; eagles and even other birds such as bee-eaters, swifts and storks) on migration. If you do a google search for Khao Dinsor you will see more info (also look on Facebook for a place called the Chumphon Raptor Center - because that is the name of an environmental center that was just completed in 2012 - right at the site...migration begins in late July/early August). Anyway, I am walking on that beach late in the afternoon everyday, and eating at the corner restaurant opposite Pirates Terrace (no name that I can read on that restaurant) - you might have a slight problem in the early evening when you sit down to eat at a restaurant if you wear shorts or a dress...that is when small insects (midges and no-see-ums) could get you...and also the occasional mosquito (the town sprays for mosquitos). Malaria does exist in the area - but I have yet to see (in my two years staying there) anyone with it (or hear of a case)...more likely is dengue - which is transmitted by a day-flying mosquito (often right in your hotel room). That being said (written), you will likely have far more trouble with the sun than insects...dusk is when malaria carrying mosquitoes are active (they spray in the area so really not to worry) and midges - especially if you are eating dinner at a restaurant back from the sea where there is no wind - so eat in a "breezy" place.

So bring a mosquito repellent with DEET (citrinella oil sounds nice and environmental - and smells nice - but won't do you much, if any, good); if you apply the repellent directly to your body, get one that has 10-30% deet; if you will apply only to clothing, then you can get a DEET based repellent rated to 98% deet (the latter will last 6-8 hours and you can sweat like crazy and it will still work...but it will feel like it is "melting" plastic if you get it on your camera or something similar).

Weather for that area:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/chumphon_airport

July through late September is the best time to be at Thung Wua Laem Beach because the southwest monsoon is the weather pattern. This brings moderate to strong (10-30 km/hr) winds to southern Thailand from the central valley to the east coast; rain falls on west coast (Phuket eg) but by the time the clouds reach the east coast, they have dropped (lost) their humidity...that being said, some mid to late day thunderstorms are possible - but no all day rains as will happen beginning in mid to late October when the northeast monsoon takes over.

The insects vary seasonally - and during the day; personally once the wind kicks in during the day (starting at about 10-11am), you won't have a problem with them...mornings are hot/still - until the wind kicks in (rising thermals as sun gets higher in the sky). Temperature in the low 80s f - about 26-30f this time of the year...the wind is absolutely wonderful. Thung Wua Laem beach is great for kids because the waves are small (not like the ocean waves of Phuket and the west coast) - so you can worry 90% less what will happen to your kid..This beach is a favorite of the locals - and you will see lots of little kids in the water there...

Cabana side of the beach (= south side) is the nice (deserted) side of the beach; weekends can be a little crazy but not overwhelming...Personally I would NOT stay at Cabana because their rooms are overpriced for what you get - there are nicer places down the road...so unless you booked an all-inclusive package deal at Cabana, you can stay somewhere else and just go with them snorkeling or scuba diving, etc.

A (very) few of the restaurants do good fish...tends to be fried here...squid is done better. I prefer the fish in Chumphon town where I have favorite restaurants...along Thung Wua Laem beach, the restaurants tend to use frozen fish that they keep on hand...in Chumphon town it is the fresh stuff on ice in front of the restaurant for you to look at and choose. There are some take away places in Saphli that are quite good - but you will need a local to show you where/how - so best just eat at restaurants (most have menus that are partially in English - and quite fun to read).

There is not a good store for supplies in Thung Wua Laem - so for essential stuff, you will need to head over to Saphli (can walk in 10-15 minutes; or use one of the many bicycles available at local hotels). Sun Tan Lotion is very expensive in Thailand!!! And the good stuff you will need (rated 30-50) is not readily available...bring this from home. Also, shaving cream is very expensive - bring from home.

All in all you made a great choice - Thung Wua Laem beach has not been discovered...yet (by the tourist crowd); prices are low by Thai resort standards; quality is high - and you will be here at the right season. Congrats!

I stay over at the Albatross Hotel - and walk the beach every late afternoon...though likely after you folks have returned north. Anyway, keep asking questions and report back on your experience.

Robert DeCandido PhD

NYC