Can you "teach" a Windows Vista computer to be Thai , fonts and drop down menus etc ?

BKKdreaming

Hi

I am bringing over a couple 4-5 year old laptops for some students who do not have a computer.

they both have "official" Windows Vista with the sticker and Product Key, I have been using them for the past couple weeks and they work fine,

Can I add the Thai font and also Thai drop down menus etc onto Windows Vista.

I really do not want to pay for another Official copy of Windows for these laptops that are only worth $50-$100 ,

Any help appreciated....

thanks

You can install a Thai language pack for Thai typing (with stickers on the keyboard etc.) but depending the country of origine it might be not possible to change the system language, even not by installing a local Windows version.

But well-motivated students should be able to work on an English machine. ;)

You can install a Thai language pack for Thai typing (with stickers on the keyboard etc.) but depending the country of origine it might be not possible to change the system language, even not by installing a local Windows version.

But well-motivated students should be able to work on an English machine. wink.png

the laptops are from the USA , a Gateway and a Toshiba....

I am sure they can figure it out , at least the dropdown menus , its the pop-ups and other once in a while things that may be a problem......

Which version of Vista do you have?

Vista, W7 and W8 Pro and Ultimate (I think) allow you to change the system language, menus and all. Just add a Thai keyboard and you're good to go.

Vistalizator: http://www.froggie.sk/

Will install another language with menus, etc... in Thai. Uses Microsoft Language Packs.

Warning: make sure you can read Thai as the sort order of the control panel changes, so switching back to English is difficut. Unless you read Thai.

Edited by BB1950

Far easier would be to ditch Windows and install a version of Linux such as Mint with Cinnamon for a traditional user interface, or Ubuntu for a tablet-like user interface.

Benefits include:

- Virtually no problems with viruses and other malware

- Better performance than Microsoft Windows on the same hardware

- Regular and prompt security fixes and updates

- Almost everything "just works" - no need to install device drivers

- It's free

Far easier would be to ditch Windows and install a version of Linux such as Mint with Cinnamon for a traditional user interface, or Ubuntu for a tablet-like user interface.

Benefits include:

- Virtually no problems with viruses and other malware

- Better performance than Microsoft Windows on the same hardware

- Regular and prompt security fixes and updates

- Almost everything "just works" - no need to install device drivers

- It's free

Do all the windows programs that they use at school work with Linux ?

thats the problem I think ,

I would like to learn more about Linux so I can use it for some older "dumb" computers I would like to set up as security systems with webcams and iSpy ,

So a quick question , is it possible to set up Linux to restart everything if it loses power and shuts down ?

one is Vista Home Premium ,

How do you change it to Thai _ English ?

thanks

You can't. You can only install Windows language packs natively only in Windows Ultimate and Enterprise versions. For those releases (Ultimate and Enterprise) the language packs are installed through Windows Update. Once the language pack is installed, you can change the language in Region and Language. (note: changing the language requires a reboot).

That's why you have to use Vistalizator to install the language pack and change the language. It will intall the language pack and change the language in the other releases Windows Windows (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium and Business/Professional).

Windows MUIs provide a translated version of most of the user interface. MUIs are only available with Windows Ultimate or Enterprise. If you are using Windows Ultimate, you can download and install MUIs by using Windows Update. You can also download MUIs from web (language packs in EXE format) and run them directly to install a language.

All other editions, including Windows Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium and Business/Professional allow only one language been selected and used. These editions also do not provide any user interface to change the default display language.

Edited by BB1950

Thanks for all the info ,

I never would have found Vistalizator by myself, it looks like it will solve the problem ,

Does this work on XP too ? I know the website says Vista and Windows 7 but I have XP on another laptop

No... You'll have to install a Thai version of XP. Thai techs can do that. But it's not worth it, a Thai Technician who spoke very good English said the Thai translation was very poor. He said he couldn't understand the menus and messages presented in Thai. He could understand the English messages much better. Better to leave it in English! But you can easily change XP in the Regions and Language to use Thai as the default OEM display language (it changes the language used with some parts such as drivers, and will allow you to use a Thai Keyboard for input, but most of the system will still be in English. Best to leave it up to Thai techs for the laptop. Miscrosoft will end support for XP next April, so it won't receive anymore updates after that. The stickers on the bottom will be of little use in dealing with Microsoft or the OEM. OEM support has already been dropped.

Wth Windows 7, Be careful! I heard of a few cases that Windows Update will invalid Windows 7 which Vistalizator to change from the default language. There's one update (I forget the KB number) that checks to see if the original language files are installed. It should be disabled from installing and removed if installed. It's purpose was to discourage the use of Vistalizator. Microsoft wants to sell the more espensive (Enterprise and Ultimated) versions for people wanting to change languages. Best to check with Vistalizator for more info on that or do a Google search. They can provide better information.

With Windows Vista, there are no problems with the use of Vistalizor.

Edited by BB1950