Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

I really dont understand all the negativity on this topic requiring people who are non-Thai citizens to have mandatory medical insurance while in Thailand is actually one of the smarter suggestions that the power that be have come up with.

A lot of countries also require similar things for non-citizens, so this suggestion is hardly a unique requirement in Thailand.

Of course one must wonder why all the negativity and hostility towards a very sensible requirement, is it becasue some members believe introducing this requirement will it it harder for them to get a visa or their ability to live here ?

Of course, anyone over age 60 with pre-existing conditions is in trouble, over aged 65 and you're stuffed.

it will probably mean if you can't get insurance then your flight is leaving, thanks for coming and stay in touch with your family.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...cost of health insurance coverage might be included in visa fees,..."

Great way to skim extra on the insurance 'fees',

on farangs of course.

" ... Those visiting Thailand without visas would be required to buy insurance at immigration checkpoints ... "

So unless you have '(what) Proof of Insurance', they will charge you arbitrary fees through the government for private insurance?

Or will crony companies set up a booth next to every entree point in the land?

Who will decide which external insurance coverage will be considered valid?

" ... or the fees could be added to the cost of airline tickets. ... "

How are the airlines expected to vet insurance applications

with everyone from different countries with different insurance requirements?

" ... After the meeting, Pradit said all of those involved agreed to set up a subcommittee to work on the proposal. ... "

As usual speak first then figure out the difficulties after other people tell you them,

then throw it all out so you don't lose face for having to take outside advice.

The ubiquitous : Lost in committee

Very Well Said!

Free medical attention to tourist?????? Are they talking about Thailand? I have to go to a government hospital in Lampang because a dog bite and the hospital charged me for more than 8,000 THB for the vaccination, et. For Thai citizens was free......If tourist can buy cheap health insurance at the airport will make sense, but at world's prices nobody will. Thailand will loose more in tourism revenue than with hospitals "free" care.

Read again---tourists!!

Err...unless you are PR or a Thai citizen consider yourself a "tourist"

I consider myself an expat. Working here for 20 years, paying taxes, support the community and support a Thai family. At one time I was a tourist by the true definition of the word which you seem to have made into your own definition.

The OP brings up more questions then answers as is norm for the various ministries.

I have been working here 12 and doing exactly the same as you and consider myself a "tourist" simply because I have no permanent right of abode in Thailand and every year I am relying on the whim of "others" to allow me to stay another year...ergo a tourist

I don't know why so many posters seem bemused or cynical about free treatment at State hospitals - at my local Thai public hospital - i've always been treated FREE as an out-patient - but of course always leave with 500 Bt's worth of medicines.

Edited by crazydrummerpauly
  • Like 1

The principle of having insurance is a good one. The issue here is how it is enforced, and administrated. Unfortunately , it is also likely to be a good income revenue for the connected people as well. I don't understand though, why tourists do not have travel insurance, as it is generally reasonable to purchase. As for expats, there is the social security card which can be used and I would guess that most sensible people organize some form of private cover for themselves. I pay around 3k a month which is an adequate cover for me.

• Like 1

If you were to arrive at the airport and at the immigration check point you had to present your passport, arrival card and proof of medical insurance to the immigration officer and if you don't have it they direct you to the booth selling it, so what. Not like Thailand would be unique on that policy.

This should be sorted before leaving if done based on VISAS. It's not realistic for intake officers to deal with such things. So it seems impractical for a TOURISM country like Thailand with so many non-visa holding tourists.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Re Chiang Mai. Exists but not enforced, certainly not where I'm from.However, I must remember to translate my dodgy Chinese policy into Thai and pack it with me every couple of months just in case I'm fleeced by a grumpy official at the airport. Saves having to undergo a full medical for preexisting conditions while waiting in line at passport control.

Wow, so much negativity about a good idea. Any sensible traveller already has travel medical insurance. Many countries insist that you need travel medical insurance to enter their country. I don't see why anyone would thing this is a bad idea. As for the ones who have said if your over 60 with a pre-existing condition, I feel for you, but if something does happen while you are here why should the Thai health care system be responsible for you?

There are policies that you can get I assure you, they are just very expensive.

If you were to arrive at the airport and at the immigration check point you had to present your passport, arrival card and proof of medical insurance to the immigration officer and if you don't have it they direct you to the booth selling it, so what. Not like Thailand would be unique on that policy.

Thai hospitals are not free for foreigners...and they have to pay first to get treatment...That was my experience....an I believe is normal procedure around the country....In many other countries do you have to give a credit card before treatment..Only in America you will get hospital care for foreigners, and pay the bill later if you can...and I think that is wrong.

Will a one week tourist have to have 30 days coverage to receive a visa on arrival?

If they have to purchase from government, will they get a refund for unused stay?

Will different length visas have different costs with discounts for longer stay?

Have none of the pro-insurance posters heard of the concept of self-insurance - those with sufficient funds willing to accept the risk?

• Like 2

I really dont understand all the negativity on this topic requiring people who are non-Thai citizens to have mandatory medical insurance while in Thailand is actually one of the smarter suggestions that the power that be have come up with.

A lot of countries also require similar things for non-citizens, so this suggestion is hardly a unique requirement in Thailand.

Of course one must wonder why all the negativity and hostility towards a very sensible requirement, is it becasue some members believe introducing this requirement will it it harder for them to get a visa or their ability to live here ?

The negativity is based on the fact that the claims made and the proposals are utter hypocritical crap. There may be a few emergencies that do get care, but I'd say that 99% of tourists or resident farangs here not only pay, but get charged double most of the time. I'd also venture that most farangs here are contributing quite mightily to the well being of many of the hospitals. It's the same idiocy that prevails in all the visa schemes and requirements. While yes, it might be a good idea to have fair and just visa laws that require compliance, we all know that at the end of the day here, it has nothing to do with anything other than whom one is willing to pay as to being able to stay here. It will be the same with this, it will absolutely never ever be enforced, but people certainly will get paid and make money out of it.

• Like 1

Wow, so much negativity about a good idea. Any sensible traveller already has travel medical insurance. Many countries insist that you need travel medical insurance to enter their country. I don't see why anyone would thing this is a bad idea. As for the ones who have said if your over 60 with a pre-existing condition, I feel for you, but if something does happen while you are here why should the Thai health care system be responsible for you?

There are policies that you can get I assure you, they are just very expensive.

Thai hospitals are not free for foreigners...and they have to pay first to get treatment...That was my experience....an I believe is normal procedure around the country....In many other countries do you have to give a credit card before treatment..Only in America you will get hospital care for foreigners, and pay the bill later if you can...and I think that is wrong.

In America they put their own citizens out in the street if they dont have the means to pay or run out of money in certain hosptials

• Like 1

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

Since at least 1948

• Like 1

Well, in this case, the Thai government is just doing the same as Europe. If a Thai wants to apply for a Schengen Visa, he/she has to buy an Insurance, valid for Europe, BEFORE they even can apply for a Schengen Visa. Tit for Tat... Plus the fact that we are looking at Billion of Baht in fees....

As a general principle having some sort of health insurance is a sound idea.

However the justification for this potential extra tax on visitors being to avoid the Thai hospitals having to provide health services to visitors for free, is a sham.

I don't know of free hospital/health services for foreigners in Thailand.

Well, in this case, the Thai government is just doing the same as Europe. If a Thai wants to apply for a Schengen Visa, he/she has to buy an Insurance, valid for Europe, BEFORE they even can apply for a Schengen Visa. Tit for Tat... Plus the fact that we are looking at Billion of Baht in fees....

No such thing as perfect tit for tat. That's not realistic. Can we buy land here now?

Well, in this case, the Thai government is just doing the same as Europe. If a Thai wants to apply for a Schengen Visa, he/she has to buy an Insurance, valid for Europe, BEFORE they even can apply for a Schengen Visa. Tit for Tat... Plus the fact that we are looking at Billions of Baht in fees....

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

Emergency medical services are provided and in some cases people with chronic problems have been treated despite being unable to pay.

In just one example:

Jetsada Jongpaiboonpattana, director of the state-run Vachira Phuket Hospital, said the hospital spent about 3 million baht last year on treating foreign tourists for free.

The cost involves medical services for accidents, emergency care and operations, and taking care of dead foreigners whose bodies were left at the hospital.

The hospital has now set up a foundation and accepts donations from patients to help pay for foreign patients who cannot afford medical fees.

This matter comes up every time this topic is brought up. Those of us who actually pay for our treatment end up paying more for those foreigners who are unable to pay hospital charges.

While it may be difficult to enact and enforce, it's certainly a reasonable matter of concern.

An absoulte drop in the ocean.... If the concern is the financial burden on state hospitals , then they should look closer to home and make crash- helmet wearing compulsory , improve driving skills , improve health and safety and a host of other logical measures .!

• Like 1

No such thing as perfect tit for tat. That's not realistic. Can we buy land here now?

What has buying land in Thailand got to do with medical insurance ?.....come on Jing...your better than that..the We cant buy land gambit..

The negativity is based on the fact that the claims made and the proposals are utter hypocritical crap. There may be a few emergencies that do get care, but I'd say that 99% of tourists or resident farangs here not only pay, but get charged double most of the time. I'd also venture that most farangs here are contributing quite mightily to the well being of many of the hospitals. It's the same idiocy that prevails in all the visa schemes and requirements. While yes, it might be a good idea to have fair and just visa laws that require compliance, we all know that at the end of the day here, it has nothing to do with anything other than whom one is willing to pay as to being able to stay here. It will be the same with this, it will absolutely never ever be enforced, but people certainly will get paid and make money out of it.

A lot of people here think that foreigners pay more than locals. I just don't agree with this. I generally only visit private hospitals and both foreigners and Thais pay for treatment there. They treat you first THEN they issue a bill, which either your insurance companys pays for you or you settle first then claim from them.

The free treatment for Thais that you guys claim is heaven for them, but requires us foreigners to pay through the nose claim is garbage. Firstly, it's 30 Baht which although not much is not exactly free and then is only valid in emergencies at government clinics. I don't know the specifics of this scheme but I have been told many times that even if it's valid for other general medical claims, only the seeing the doctor part is subsidized and even then the wait can be long - patients that have insurance or can pay will receive priority. Also, government clinics and hospitals are not that great and I would always opt for a private one instead - many urban Thais usually follow suit knowing full well they will have to pay BUT they do receive superior treatment. Private clinics normally charge everyone the same and both Thais and foreigners fork out tons of money on medications, if required; even Thais getting treatment at government hospitals.

Free healthcare with everything included is something many Europeans are used to but certainly not Thais. It's the same with "free" education in Thailand. In reality, school uniforms and books were never intended to be free, therefore must be purchased and sometimes teachers or schools charge school fees anyway even if they're not supposed to.

Will be a tough sell because the corruption costs to implement a database into immigration facilities will wildly exceed the potential increase in fee's.

Like the "barracks" fiasco the money will get pilfered and the system left inoperable.

Without a database to verify coverage then it will just be the shop's on Kaosahn road and internet cafe's making money on crapping out forgeries.