Checking baggage through - BRU-BKK- USM - non -stop.

stoffel45

I am informed this evening that it is possible for a passenger travelling from Brussels to Koh Samui - through Bangkok Suvarnabhumi - can check her baggage directly from Brussels to Samui.

From Suvarnabhumi they will take the Bangkok Airways flight to Samui.

Apparently they are able to remain 'airside' and 'in transit' missing out Immigration and Customs.

She believes one can then clear Immigration, retrieve the luggage and pass Customs in Samui.

Clearly if this is possible it would save a lot of time and hassle.

Question: Is this allowed?

Don't think it can be done to Samui:

(from http://www.thaiair.ch/en/travel_destination/airport_Info/Suvarnabhumi_flightTrans.htm)

International to Domestic

If your final destination is Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Hat Yai, Krabi, or Phuket, you then proceed to Transfer Check-in desk on the second floor of concourse A/B. The Immigration and Customs formalities will be done at your destination airport. Transferring to other domestic airports or having baggage checked only to Bangkok , you must land, pick up your baggage, proceed through Passport and Customs Control formalities and check in at Row C on the fourth floor of PTC.

Bangkok Airways' website is very clear that you can book luggage through (on about 40 airlines) to the final-destination, and clear Immigration at USM, when flying-out of Samui (or CNX, HKT or Krabi).

So it is almost-certainly available inbound too.

Samui is definitely an international-airport, with Customs-facilities for inbound-passengers, but Immigration would be the quieter transfer-Immigration desks at Swampy.

Edited by Ricardo

Yes, should be possible. Bagage will go through, but most probably she will do immigration at Bangkok.

Whether or not possible also depends on the airlines, if they have an agreement it should be possible.

Edited by stevenl

So it is almost-certainly available inbound too.

Assumption. Was the OP 'advised' by the airline he will be using, or is this someone else's experience?

The OP should check with ALL the airlines involved.

For example; I flew TG Bangkok to London and onwards to Aberdeen on BA on two separate tickets. Thai Air Suvarnabhumi checked my bag all the way through to final destination despite their not being a code-share or alliance airline. This is called inter-lining and is possible on some flight combinations. However, on checking in with BA at Aberdeen for my return (via Heathrow) and onwards with Thai Air, I was advised the checking all the way through was NOT possible and I had to claim and re-check my bag at Heathrow.

Edited by NanLaew

It may be possible to interline bags through to USM - PG have interline agreements with many international carriers.

Can you share any details re: which airline is operating BRU-BKK, how long is the connection at BKK and how is the ticket constructed (one ticket, separate tickets)?

If bags can be interlined to USM pax. would clear mid-field Immigration at BKK, clear security. obtain boarding passes - if not previously issued - at the midfield transfer counter, proceed to concourse A to the flight to USM, claims bags in USM and clear Customs in USM.

While the published I-D MCT at BKK might be 75 minutes, I might look for a connection time closer to 120 minutes.

Note that this is possible to HKT, HDY, CEI, CNX, USM, KBV.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/passenger_guide_transfer_inter2domestic_noBD_en.php

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/passenger_guide_transfer_inter2domestic_withBD_en.php

Edited by lomatopo

The Carrier from Belgium is Etihad to Thailand. BRU-AUH-BKK.

From Suvarnabhumi it is Bangkok Air to USM.

Then USM to UTP and then of course Etihad to BRU via AUH.

Thanks to Ricardo for his suggestion to check with Bangkok Airways. As he says their website confirms that for certain Airlines, Etihad included, one can route Baggage through to eg Brussels from Samui.

Alas there is nothing about INTO Samui.

I will phone Etihad tomorrow (a trial in itself) and ask.

To everybody - Thank YOU.

The Carrier from Belgium is Etihad to Thailand. BRU-AUH-BKK.

From Suvarnabhumi it is Bangkok Air to USM.

Then USM to UTP and then of course Etihad to BRU via AUH.

Thanks to Ricardo for his suggestion to check with Bangkok Airways. As he says their website confirms that for certain Airlines, Etihad included, one can route Baggage through to eg Brussels from Samui.

Alas there is nothing about INTO Samui.

I will phone Etihad tomorrow (a trial in itself) and ask.

To everybody - Thank YOU.

Yes, can do, as mentioned she will do immigration in Bangkok, but bagage will go straight to Samui.

Can you share any details re: which airline is operating BRU-BKK, how long is the connection at BKK and how is the ticket constructed (one ticket, separate tickets)?

These details are important to understand.

PG and EY do have an interline agreement.

EY, or their ground agent service provider in BRU may or may not have the ability, knowledge, desire, capability to interline baggage through to USM. The passenger should ask. If on separate tickets the passenger will have to present the details of the BKK-USM ticket so the records can be linked, and bags can be interlined. An MCT at BKK of 120 minutes is advised assuming bags can be interlined and on one single ticket issued by EY (which obviously includes the BKK-USM segment), I might give 3+ hours if on separate tickets, and being unsure about interlining.

Edited by lomatopo