Swede admits to murder in Thailand

webfact

He was caught on camera in 7-11 shop asking for a knife. That is a planned murder , full stop. I have no sympathy for the convicted swede, he should have left the pub and go somewhere else, plain and simple.

Well wherever he got the Knife it would most likely have been asked for, don't see how that makes it planned murder. Carrying it around the street with you however might be seen in a different manor. Carrying a knife around with you when you are in fear of someone would seems like a pretty dumb idea, and liable to end badly. Would suggest something less fatal like CS gas, which if used will give you time to leg it and nobody will die.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"the Swede in prison where he confessed to having stabbed the Australian, claiming that it was out of fear for his own safety."

Is "pre-emptive stabbing" a defence plea?

Yes it most ceratinly can be. In the UK

Pre-emptive strikes

There is no rule in law to say that a person must wait to be struck first before they may defend themselves, (see R v Deana, 2 Cr App R 75).

and

A person may use such force as is [objectively] reasonable in the circumstances as he [subjectively] believes them to be.[4]

To gain an acquittal, the defendant must fulfil a number of conditions. The defendant must believe, rightly or wrongly, that the attack is imminent. Lord Griffith said in Beckford v R:

"A man about to be attacked does not have to wait for his assailant to strike the first blow or fire the first shot; circumstances may justify a pre-emptive strike."[1]

(see pre-emptive strike in Wikipedia)

It will be interesting to see what the Thai law is in these circumstances.

A UK court and DPP would certainly look at the surveillance tape very closely indeed. This would have to support the defendant's claim that he was in fear of his life and believed he was about to be attacked. If the tape shows what the Swedish paper report he would be very lucky to succeed with that defense. Any evidence of the defendant planning or premeditatin this attack would nulify his defense. Using lethal force to defend yourself spontaneously is one thing. Planning and carrying out a "pre-emptive" strike against someone who you think might attack you at sometime in the future is a different matter.

Is it wrong of me to laugh at...and...actually enjoy farang on farang violence in Thailand? ohmy.png

Actually... yes. Especially when someone has lost their life. Would you like people to laugh if it was your son or brother? But then you are probably the kind of lower class Farang that has a serious infirmity in regards to cognitive reasoning.

Hmm...depends on which brother.

Is it wrong of me to laugh at...and...actually enjoy farang on farang violence in Thailand? ohmy.png

No, not at all... but please, don't mind me bursting out laughing if some shit lands on your doorstep eh pal

• Like 2

No it isn't. In fact I remember years ago some farang on farang violence that had the sh1t beaten out of an ex-soldier of some kind by another farang who objected to something the former soldier did.

It was quite funny at the time but not sure why anymore.

• Like 1

Farang is a Thai term for foreigners. The Swede and Australian are not Farang to me. Interesting that the Swede knew it was impossible to run and hide from the Australian.

Absolutely. Violence and death are definitely not laughing matters. If you see this as entertainment you've got serious problems.

• Like 1

yes it would , but i think you have a sick mind to laugh at any murder

• Like 1

Yes because it negatively impacts all farang, especially those of us who wish to make this their permanent residence.

Chillax. lol. Lets all take a deep breath and try and appreciate the different environment this guy is trying to survive in. To be honest I don't have allot of sympathy for his position, although the clever references to specific society 'rules' and laws are great to discuss although to the guys and gals in prison, these rules don't exist, or are redundant, even though they're convicted based on these rules of the so called free civi's not in jail for the moment.

Laughing about death, yep not cool, but each to his own, freedom of speech and all that, although, it may be worth considering what it would be like if you knew the person or it was a blood relative , not to mention the family of the victim who I am sure irrespective of his crimes still holds his life dear. Sorry, bit serious? I'll step down of my milk crate.

Funny thing is, does anyone know if what is being stated is a true representation of what actually happened. It would be a first.

Food for thought

"the Swede in prison where he confessed to having stabbed the Australian, claiming that it was out of fear for his own safety."

Pre-emptive strikes

There is no rule in law to say that a person must wait to be struck first before they may defend themselves, (see R v Deana, 2 Cr App R 75).

and

A person may use such force as is [objectively] reasonable in the circumstances as he [subjectively] believes them to be.[4]

To gain an acquittal, the defendant must fulfil a number of conditions. The defendant must believe, rightly or wrongly, that the attack is imminent. Lord Griffith said in Beckford v R:

"A man about to be attacked does not have to wait for his assailant to strike the first blow or fire the first shot; circumstances may justify a pre-emptive strike."[1]

Were any weapons found on the deceased? On the video, did the deceased make any aggressive movements? Fear alone is not justification for killing (notice I didn't say 'murder'). The Swede was owed money; usually it is the person that is owed who makes threats in an attempt to recover a debt. The deceased (debtor) would threaten the Swede for what possible reason?

The Swede, if found guilty, will probably serve out his sentence in a Swedish prison.

Pre-emptive strikes

and

The problem he has in a self defence plea is that he approached his victim. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I heard that in Thailand there are no death penalty because of Buddhism. Are there? In that case for this guy the best solution is suicide, I see no difference between suicide and killed by the state. Death is Death. Poor unlucky Guy.

In the state of Texas, I think you used to be able to shoot someone if you thought (!)' he was going to shoot you, and

abused women have employed a similar defense after dispatching their hubbys - including the Asian woman who

emasculated her husband in California. But here in Thailand, this ain't going to fly.

The Swedish penal system is notoriously soft. and this Swedish gentleman is in fir a big surprise in Thailand. Knowing Sweden as I do, I think he is telling this story to gain sympathy back in Sweden, in the hope he may be rescued.

it is a bit late, but he might reconsider this strategy. Rule of thumb is to call in all your markers and hope you have enough money to influence the course of justice!;)

uote name="JetsetBkk" post="6564838" timestamp="1372657047"]"the Swede in prison where he confessed to having stabbed the Australian, claiming that it was out of fear for his own safety."Is "pre-emptive stabbing" a defence plea?

He was caught on camera in 7-11 shop asking for a knife. That is a planned murder , full stop. I have no sympathy for the convicted swede, he should have left the pub and go somewhere else, plain and simple.

Where did you read he got the knife from 7-11? In the Alderhouse case that is what happened, I don't see anything about him and 7-11 in this case. Also he is only charged, he has not been convicted....yet. You should read before you make comments.

I heard that in Thailand there are no death penalty because of Buddhism. Are there? In that case for this guy the best solution is suicide, I see no difference between suicide and killed by the state. Death is Death. Poor unlucky Guy.

You heard wrong. There is a death penalty here and it has been applied on many, many occasions.

If you see no difference between suicide and execution, why is suicide the best solution?

Anyway, he won't get the death penalty.

Unlucky? Unlucky that the victim didn't manage to run away before the perpetrator stabbed him, or what?

It still completely escapes me why the Thai government even bother having the boys in brown. Likewise, I think it is a complete waste of their money to have a court system. All they need to do, is put the basics of the Case into Thai Visa and you blokes will do all the work for them, including carrying out sentences in a lot of cases, which whilst very thoughtful of you and probably most appreciated by the Thai legal system, it really doesn't give the accused much chance.

Can I suggest To the administrators that perhaps what we need is a new set of "classes" of users, starting with "investigator", "eyewitness", "police informer" (restricted to English people), "jury member", "prosecutor", "Judge".

Far more reflective of what actually happens in my humble opinion.

Edited by Considered Opinion
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think they can keep him in jail here just about as long as they can string the trial and sentancing out...My guess three years. I believe Sweden has a repatriation treaty and he will serve his time in an IKEA jail eating meatballs.