I Will Not Resign: Thaksin

george

Thaksin will not resign

post-27080-1144086488.gif

PM ready to suspend political career if all conflicting parties end movement

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday night reiterated he was ready to suspend his political career if all conflicting parties agreed to end their movement.

“I’m ready to have a temporary break in politics if former opposition leader Abhisit Vejajiva is willing to participate in the next general election, Maj. Gen Chamlong Srimuang to stay back at his wat (temple) and Sondhi Limthongkul to return to live a life in his business,” said Mr. Thaksin at the Krong Stanakarn (Situation Analysis) News Talk on Television Channel 11.

Maj. Gen Chamlong and Mr. Sondhi are core members of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, a coalition campaigning for anti-Thaksin demonstrations.

To adhere to the democratic rule, however, he said, his successor must come from his Thai-Rak-Thai Party, which won the majority of votes in the April 2 snap election.

Asked who he thought is suitable to take his post, he said there are four TRT members that could perform the duty.

One of them is former House speaker Bhokin Palakul, who is suitable for implementing the political reform process, and another is Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripital, who is suitable to become his success if the country’s economic woes needed to be urgently addressed.

However, he refused to name another two persons, who are qualified for the premiership.

Mr. Thaksin claimed victory for the snap election, saying his party won up to 16 million votes against the number of “no votes’’ ballots at around 10 million.

“Should I have to resign, I must seek opinions of 16 million people who vote for me as well,” he said.

He added he planned to propose the so-called Unity Committee comprising representatives from all conflicting parties including ex-premier, former chief judge of the Supreme Court, former Parliament president or former rector of a state university.

The committee will take proposed approaches from parties concerned to consider and screen to find the effective way to solve conflicts.

“Should all parties agree with the proposed ways, I will follow. I am willing to resign if that can really help build the unity of people in the country,’’ he said.

--TNA 2006-04-04

Preliminary Poll Results [Live]:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/election/

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder how this fits with his statement to resign if TRT didnt poll 50%? ITV report that TRT has 44.5% of ballots cast with 85% counted. If officially confirmed things could get interesting.

It is of course possible that the remaining 15% are only TRT votes and that he knows that without anyone having counted them. Remember this is thailand... :o

I'm watching the interview on channel 11.

From what I understand he claims 16 million votes for TRT and 10 million votes other.

His answers about stepping down aren't very clear.... from what I understand he says "if he steps down and replaces himself with another TRT member the Democrats and the PAD will not agree so there is no point for him to do so". He also says a few times he would like to step down and is considering it, his family would prefer he steps down. He also mentions he might step down but not right now perhaps after a year?

Sorry my Thai is not perfect, but the above is what I could comprehend so far, perhaps someone else can give a better summary.

I don't mean to sound malicious, but did the PM flunk his primary school math? Saying that he won 52% of the vote, but then going on to say that 16 million votes went to TRT vs 10 million abstentions. How does this add up?

Edited by tettyan

I don't mean to sound malicious, but did the PM fail his primary school math? Saying that he won 52% of the vote, but then going on to say that 16 million votes want to TRT vs 10 million abstentions. How does this add up?

Right thats like 62% :o Prob spoiled ballots aren't mentioned????

BANGKOK POST BREAKING NEWS: Thaksin to stay PM - for now

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra indicated he will stay in office for now.

In a televised interview, Mr Thaksin called for the formation of a body similar to a council of respected elders - former prime ministers and other people loyal to Thailand - to debate reform and how to achieve national reconciliation.

If such a group can be formed, and advises him to step down, said Mr Thaksin, then he will.

Anyways let's see where this soap opera leads to next. :o

A much weaker THB hopefully :D

Come on, grow up. He commands a much greater majority than any other leader I can think of, and whether you like it or not, the majority are for him.

He is liked because he is the first one to provide real benefits for the poor in the rural areas. The main reason why he is hated by the Bangkok lot.

ufff... just on BBC..

---------------------

Thaksin claims Thai election win

Thaksin Shinawatra

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra says his party won more than 50% of the votes in Sunday's snap election.

He said he won 16 million voters, down from 19 million last year, though official results are not yet available.

There were indications of a big protest vote against Mr Thaksin, who called the snap election in a bid to end weeks of instability over claims he is corrupt.

Mr Thaksin said he would set up a committee to look into the crisis, and would resign if it asked him to.

Speaking on live television he said his Thai Rak Thai party had won 349 seats, down from 377 a year ago.

"Last year we got Grade A, now it's Grade B," he said. "There's no difference, we've still passed the examination."

'Solve the problem'

Before Sunday's election, Mr Thaksin said he would resign if he did not win more than half of the vote.

The opposition - who have called for Mr Thaksin to resign, accusing him of corruption and abuse of power - had refused to put up candidates in more than half of the constituencies in protest at the election.

Mr Thaksin said that he planned to set up an independent committee of eminent people to consider a way out of the country's political crisis.

"If the committee asks that I resign, then I will, if that will solve the problem," he told the political talk show.

-------------------

:o

Adichai>> If you really think the 30baht-scheme has helped the poor or the loans to everyone that wanted it has put the poor in any better position then they where in before, then you better wake up and do it quickly.

It's almost amazing reading this from (semi-) educated expats (and other signups) on this board.

Edited by TAWP

I don't mean to sound malicious, but did the PM fail his primary school math? Saying that he won 52% of the vote, but then going on to say that 16 million votes want to TRT vs 10 million abstentions. How does this add up?

Right thats like 62% :o Prob spoiled ballots aren't mentioned????

Forty million plus eligible voters, with a 70% poll rate is around 30 million. If TRT claim that they polled 16 million votes, that's his 50 plus percent!! There might well have been 10 million informal votes, but they don't count unfortunately. :D

He's hated in the South, too, where lots of poor farmers live. Why?

Much better reason he's hated is because he's corrupt to the core, and as such is not fit to govern. Elections or not. Elections are also not a juri vote - if he is corrupt, no number of votes is going to change that.

Just seen and still watching on channel 11:

Caretaker PM Thaksin kept on making reference to section 313 of the constitution to enable him to convene the lower house and appoint a PM.

according to my English translation this section is about amendments to the constitution. How could he achieve this with no quorum in the lower house? or is he waiting for the Senate election to get a "combined house" quorum?

I've got the translation of article 313 from here:

http://www.kpi.ac.th/kpi/en/con_th12.asp

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

Update:

Give me good reasons to step down : Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- If he is to step down, he would have good reasons to explain to those who voted for him in Sunday election, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Monday.

He claimed that a total of 16 million have voted for him in April 2 election.

Speaking in a television programme of Channel 11, Thaksin said there were some groups of people who want to oust him.

"I am ready to step down as demanded by those groups. However they should give me good reasons so that I could explain to the 16 million people who voted for me," he said.

In case he steps down, he will have to travel and be busy meeting and explaining to people in many parts of the country on why he has to resign.

He said he is more than ready to resign if his resignation can benefit to the country.

--The Nation 2006-04-03

Just seen and still watching on channel 11:

Caretaker PM Thaksin kept on making reference to section 313 of the constitution to enable him to convene the lower house and appoint a PM.

according to my English translation this section is about amendments to the constitution. How could he achieve this with no quorum in the lower house? or is he waiting for the Senate election to get a "combined house" quorum?

I got the translation of article 313 here:

http://www.kpi.ac.th/kpi/en/con_th12.asp

opalhort

Hmmm seems old Tox has more tricks up his sleeve? This is fascinating. :o

The Thaksin interview has just concluded: 9.58 pm.

Sounds like he's just as determined as ever to cling onto power.

Reminiscent of Thatcher's demise in November 1990 when despite her strong desire to remain PM she was systematically betrayed by some of her closest associates in the party and eventually forced to resign.

This is obviously goin' to be a long, drawn out process.

A war of attrition! :o

Update:

Give me good reasons to step down : Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- If he is to step down, he would have good reasons to explain to those who voted for him in Sunday election, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Monday.

He claimed that a total of 16 million have voted for him in April 2 election.

Speaking in a television programme of Channel 11, Thaksin said there were some groups of people who want to oust him.

"I am ready to step down as demanded by those groups. However they should give me good reasons so that I could explain to the 16 million people who voted for me," he said.

In case he steps down, he will have to travel and be busy meeting and explaining to people in many parts of the country on why he has to resign.

He said he is more than ready to resign if his resignation can benefit to the country.

--The Nation 2006-04-03

Dear fellow Thais,

I am stepping down for the time being because a large section of the educated people suspect I have been a naughty boy for several years lining my own pockets.

As you all know these allegations are outrageous lies but to lay the accusations to rest, to show I am innocent,I will voluntarily resign from the post of PM whilst a transparent enquiry takes place. I have always said TRT is a party, an institution, it's not about me, I'm merely the people's representative, so the party with its dedication to the people of Thailand, unity, peace, etc, can continue, at least temporarily, without me.

Once I've been cleared I'll be back.

Because I'm innocent I have no hesitation in retiring from the scene for a few months.

CHAPTER XII

Amendment of the Constitution

Section 313.

1) a motion for amendment must be proposed either by the

Council of Ministers or members of the House of Representatives of not less than one-fifth of the total number of the existing members of the House of

Representatives or members of both Houses of not less than one-fifth of the total number of the existing members thereof...

Or wait a second, there's another one!

CHAPTER XI

Amendment of the Constitution

Section 211. An amendment of the Constitution may be

made only under the rules and procedure as follows:

(1) a motion for amendment must be proposed either by

the Council of Ministers or members of the House of

Representatives of not less than one-third of the total number

of existed members of the House of Representatives or members

of the Senate and the House of Representatives of not less than

one-third of the total number of existed members of both Houses.

http://www.parliament.go.th/files/library/law11e.htm

How is it possible that the same article is listed under different chapters and different sections?

The first text mentions one-fifth, the second one-third of the joint houses. How bloody difficult could it be to have one version of the Constitution for the country?

No Itellectual Property rights whatsoever!!! :o

Dear fellow Thais,

I am stepping down for the time being because a large section of the educated people suspect I have been a naughty boy for several years lining my own pockets.

As you all know these allegations are outrageous lies but to lay the accusations to rest, to show I am innocent,I will voluntarily resign from the post of PM whilst a transparent enquiry takes place. I have always said TRT is a party, an institution, it's not about me, I'm merely the people's representative, so the party with its dedication to the people of Thailand, unity, peace, etc, can continue, at least temporarily, without me.

Once I've been cleared I'll be back.

Because I'm innocent I have no hesitation in retiring from the scene for a few months.

Wakey, wakey Siripon - it was only a dream :o

26 mil is about 60% turnout, as reported.

I'm confused - seeing some reports that turnout was around 60%, other saying it was 70%. Any verifiable information out there?

I think it will be adjusted to whatever is needed for TRT to get a majority... :o

Anyways let's see where this soap opera leads to next. :o

A much weaker THB hopefully :D

Come on, grow up. He commands a much greater majority than any other leader I can think of, and whether you like it or not, the majority are for him.

He is liked because he is the first one to provide real benefits for the poor in the rural areas. The main reason why he is hated by the Bangkok lot.

I agree , BUT :

the way to help is to give away money that is immediatly spend for nothing of valuable (cell phonefor exemple, but there is thousand of other exemple).

the way to help is to provide loans, but people do not understand what is a loan, and why they get the money, so when they have to reimburse there is problem (As it was in my coutry with the armer in the 70').

the way to help is install the same system as in Western Europe (30 bht scheme) but at the opposite of France, noone here give 50 % of his income to the state. So the scheme go broken quickly (take more time in france to be broken but ...).

the way to help is also to give personaly money to people in need (I always assumed he was trully pity for the poor, and did not have bad thought when doing that). But he can not give every month 1 000 bht to the same people, nor those people can do something to improve they conditions with ONLY 1 000 bht.

I do agree people uppcountry like him because that, and bangkokian dislike him because or it's them who pay the bills by their taxes (I consider that normal but it's my 2 cents) and because he never have give money to the middle class living in bangkok, on the ground their earn enought by them self (and if not, as they do not vote for him he does not care much).

If he was a real donator, he will not pay his taxes of Shin selling (he already did it), but give directly huge amout of money to the poors.If he simply given away the half of what he should have given as taxes, all those problems would have not appear.

Yes I think that if Toxic Taksin declares tomorrow that his kiddies will pay capital gains taxes on the sale of their Shin Corp. shares that would go a long way toward getting the plebs back on side.

Of course this is not going to happen.