I Will Not Resign: Thaksin

george

What interests me is, if all the 500 seats are not filled within the 30 day mandatory period, after the bye elections have been held, what happens next???? Furthermore is there anything in the constitution to overcome the impasse?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PM ready to suspend political career if all conflicting parties end movement

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Monday night reiterated he was ready to suspend his political career if all conflicting parties agreed to end their movement.

“I’m ready to have a temporary break in politics if former opposition leader Abhisit Vejajiva is willing to participate in the next general election, Maj. Gen Chamlong Srimuang to stay back at his wat (temple) and Sondhi Limthongkul to return to live a life in his business,” said Mr. Thaksin at the Krong Stanakarn (Situation Analysis) News Talk on Television Channel 11.

Maj. Gen Chamlong and Mr. Sondhi are core members of the People’s Alliance for Democracy, a coalition campaigning for anti-Thaksin demonstrations.

To adhere to the democratic rule, however, he said, his successor must come from his Thai-Rak-Thai Party, which won the majority of votes in the April 2 snap election.

Asked who he thought is suitable to take his post, he said there are four TRT members that could perform the duty.

One of them is former House speaker Bhokin Palakul, who is suitable for implementing the political reform process, and another is Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripital, who is suitable to become his success if the country’s economic woes needed to be urgently addressed.

However, he refused to name another two persons, who are qualified for the premiership.

Mr. Thaksin claimed victory for the snap election, saying his party won up to 16 million votes against the number of “no votes’’ ballots at around 10 million.

“Should I have to resign, I must seek opinions of 16 million people who vote for me as well,” he said.

He added he planned to propose the so-called Unity Committee comprising representatives from all conflicting parties including ex-premier, former chief judge of the Supreme Court, former Parliament president or former rector of a state university.

The committee will take proposed approaches from parties concerned to consider and screen to find the effective way to solve conflicts.

“Should all parties agree with the proposed ways, I will follow. I am willing to resign if that can really help build the unity of people in the country,’’ he said.

--TNA 2006-04-04

I am a middle-class in Bangkok and the reason we don't want him is not against the poor. I just want to make sure my son can grow up and can compete in a fair country. I just want my son to have a place to stand at the same level with his son. The way he uses poor peoples as the hostage just make us sick. We are feeling like a foreigner here in Thailand now.

Well, middle class Bangkok, Thaksin is the answer for decades of ignoring the needs of the poor. While middle and upper class Thailand still think within their own class, Thaksin has managed to give a voice to the poor in the North and Isaarn.

Does he help the poor? Not exactly, he gives them very little.

But has any other government else helped the poor? Nops, not at all.

Has any political party in Thailand any sort of program designed to help the poor? Not that i have heard of.

You definately want your son and your grandson grow up in a fair society. But so do millions of fellow Thais who are living in poverty.

Isn't it time to find a solution for all Thais, especially the ones who have not gotten anything?

Even if you agree with his populist policies this shouldn't give him immunity to do what he likes. There is a huge black cloud of corruption over him, he also has given scant consideration for democracy where the media is concerned (a true democracy has a media that's not interfered with) and everyone seems to ignore his appalling record on human rights.

For someone as rich and powerful as Thaksin the rural vote was never in question.

(remember Marcos had a similar hold on the Filipino poor!)

Stalingrad 1941

Bangkok 2006

Those hot, dry days of Autumn are now passing and both sides in this conflict are facing the first snows of Winter and a long, drawn out battle.

Stalingrad: "The closest and bloodiest battle of the war was fought among the stumps of buildings burnt or burning. From afar Stalingrad looked like a furnace and yet inside it men froze. Dogs rushed into the Volga to drown rather than endure any longer the perils of the shore. The no less desperate men were reduced to automatons, obeying orders until it came to their turn to die, human only in their suffering."

I think the majority has spoken for the third time. I wll also say that the "no vote" was actually quite impressive. How many of those "No Votes" that were actually garnered outside Bangkok by the PAD we will never know. The no vote to some extent in the rural areas could have resulted from people who didn't like TRT and had a choice of No Vote or spoiling their ballot. There appears to be a large percentage, compared to normal that took that route rather than voting TRT or the PAD No Vote campaign.

Who says it was a majority? Only Thaksin.

What happens to the numbers if the 1,000,000 invalidated are added to the "no vote" category? Obviously that is the category they belong to... by writing/drawing such strongly worded sentiments on them, in essence, they are more of a "NO VOTE" than the "No Vote" ballots that were counted.

Who are these EC officials that say everyone who defaced a ballot knew their ballot would become void? Did they ask all of them why they did it and did they know it would? It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that many did not know.

What are the numbers on these ballots, that were nullified, actually defaced? How many were nullified by EC officials for arbirtrarily-decided stray marks or improperly placed, rubber-stamped marks? Never have heard any explanation regarding why the switch to these rubber stamps, btw.

Edited by sriracha john

I am a middle-class in Bangkok and the reason we don't want him is not against the poor. I just want to make sure my son can grow up and can compete in a fair country. I just want my son to have a place to stand at the same level with his son. The way he uses poor peoples as the hostage just make us sick. We are feeling like a foreigner here in Thailand now.

Well, middle class Bangkok, Thaksin is the answer for decades of ignoring the needs of the poor. While middle and upper class Thailand still think within their own class, Thaksin has managed to give a voice to the poor in the North and Isaarn.

Has any political party in Thailand any sort of program designed to help the poor? Not that i have heard of.

You definately want your son and your grandson grow up in a fair society. But so do millions of fellow Thais who are living in poverty.

Isn't it time to find a solution for all Thais, especially the ones who have not gotten anything?

Well I have to admit this has got me thinking. Like many I have become disillusioned with Thaksin for his corruption and broken promises.

However it is VERY true that middle class and upper class bangkok has disowned the poor of this country for decades (if not centuries). These people often seem to have an "I'm all right Jack" attitude - even to extent of forgetting that the rice farmers helped build this countriues fortunes as they stand.

Sleepless - dont you think the rice farmer wants HIS son to have the same as YOUR son after all he already has more and yet all you seem to want to do is take take take?

By-Elections To Be Held Soon

(NewsEdge)

The secretary-general of the Election Commission Office said sub-sequent elections for refilling House seats still vacant after the first round of election would be held within this month, The Nation reports.

Ekkachai Warunprapha, secretary-general of the EC Office, said the sub-sequent elections could be held either on April 9, 16, 23 or 30 depending on the EC's final decision.

It is expected that many sub-sequent elections would be necessary as one-horse candidates in many constituents might not be able to gather at least support from at least 20 per cent of voters in their constituency to get elected.

Ekkachai said if many constituencies saw no MPs elected, there could be several rounds of sub-sequent elections.

He said the first round of sub-sequent elections would be held at the same time of elections for three constituencies in Nonthaburi where all candidates had been disqualified for the Sunday election.

---------------

Open up that State Treasury and start that election-cost spending... and don't forget add the cost of the nation-wide senatorial election on the 19th.

It's all about putting money/benefits in peoples pockets - particularly those who haven't got it. To the rich/well off in Bangkok? Well Thaksins continuation might be a minor irritation but at least the wheels of the economy will continue to turn - remember where those zillions you have come from - the grass roots society who you employ so cheaply!

Uh, there's a flip side to that coin.

Poor people have a choice on how to spend their time. Apparently many of them prefer to spend it working for the rich and middle class (e.g. relatively "well off") for low wages. What's the alternative? Unemployement? Thank the rich and middle class for giving them a choice they woudn't otherwise have.

If you want to see what Thailand would look like without a middle class, take a stroll across the border to Cambodia or Laos and see what you think... Then, if you like it there, why not vote with your feet?

:o

ok... one more from

the nation

----------------

PM abuse rampant on spoiled ballots

It may have been expressed in many different ways but the intriguing message that election officials came across while counting votes in Sunday's election was too common to be dismissed as a natural mistake.

Among the more than 1 million invalid ballots counted as

of yesterday were an unknown number that were disqualified because voters chose to spell

out their dislike of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The most prevalent messages on the invalid ballots, according to vote counters, were "Thaksin get out" and "Thaksin, you are evil".

Other messages, some conveyed in just one short sentence and others occupying almost the entire ballot, contained vulgar abuse and profanities. Besides written messages, many voters drew funny pictures, including a square-faced cartoon character, apparently aimed at mocking Thaksin, according to election officials.

A voter, who wanted to be identified only as Nok, told The Nation she intentionally wrote down on the ballot "Thaksin, you are the worst of all evil" although she knew it would make her vote invalid.

"I just wanted to show that I no longer want him as prime minister," she said.

As of yesterday, the Election Commission (EC) estimated the invalid ballots from Sunday's election would exceed 1 million or about 3 per cent of the overall figure of eligible voters. The tally is a record breaker since Thailand first introduced elections under a democratic regime more than half a century ago.

An election official in Phichit province confirmed yesterday that many ballots he counted contained the same hand-written message "Thaksin get out".

"Other ballots were marked too many times or randomly crossed all over," said the official.

In Phitsanulok, a polling official said he also saw anti-Thaksin messages written on ballots while manning a vote-counting centre on Sunday night.

"I saw "Thaksin get out" on many ballots. Some others wrote "Hate square-faced man", the official said.

The director of the EC provincial office in Yala, Varothai Naewbantad, said a large number of voters made their ballots invalid by intentionally writing on them.

"They just wrote down what they wanted. Some messages were way too rude to be disclosed," he said.

Varothai said this had never happened before and the number of invalid ballots in Yala in past elections was remarkably low as voters had a good understanding of politics and the election process.

Director of the EC provincial office in Chachoengsao, Chukiat Rojanapinan, said the record of invalid ballots in all constituencies of the province exceeded 10 per cent, the highest in its history.

"In the last election, we had 3.6 per cent of invalid ballots. But this time, it is clear that voters intended to make their ballots invalid," he said.

-----------

one more election :D

and they will got it :D

--

Interesting indeed. But, where are the real numbers they're referring to?

Still nothing real?????

Thai PM 'claims' victory but crisis continues

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra claimed victory on Monday in snap national elections but the ballot and his offer to set up a panel of eminent people to decide his future failed to resolve a political crisis.

Thaksin, accused of corruption and abuse of power by street protesters, said he would step down if the panel of former prime ministers, ex-judges and former university heads recommended it.

But the main opposition Democrat Party rejected the offer.

Leading opposition parties boycotted the elections, and the Election Commission said 38 of 400 parliamentary constituencies had failed to produce a winner, leaving empty seats and making it impossible for Thaksin to form a new government.

"We no longer believe in the prime minister," said Ong-Ard Klampaiboon, spokesman for thee Democratic Party, "Therefore we are not interested in his offer."

Media mogul Sonthi Limthongkul, who launched the anti-Thaksin campaign last September, said the offer was another attempt by Thaksin to maintain his grip on power and that a major demonstration scheduled for Friday would go ahead.

"I want reconciliation for the country," Thaksin, who called the elections three years early because of the street protests, said on television.

"I will do anything. I have retreated so many steps that my back is against the wall," he said.

the "wall" is a long way off

ECONOMY HIT

The political crisis has taken its toll on the economy, paralyzing business decision-making and sapping the stock market, Southeast Asia's worst performer of the year.

Thaksin said his Thai Rak Thai party (TRT) had won more than half the ballot in Sunday's polls -- a tally that released him from a promise to resign if it secured less than half the vote.

The elections, which turned into a referendum on his leadership, seemed set to guarantee constitutional chaos in the absence of the reconciliation with opposition parties and street protesters that he sought.

Thaksin did not repeat his recent calls for law and order, seen by some as a threat to crack down on his opponents.

"Let law enforcers do their work, bearing in mind the principles of peace and reconciliation. I don't want to see any violent means," he said.

Nationwide tallies trickled out at a snail's pace throughout the day, but results for Bangkok delivered an early blow to the Thaksin, showing TRT had lost to the abstention vote by 50.1 percent to 45.9.

A year ago, it won 32 constituencies in the capital.

Some analysts had hoped a post-election break before street protests are due to resume on Friday could provide a cooling off period for talks between Thaksin and his opponents, an ad hoc coalition called the People's Alliance for Democracy.

But the dismissal of Thaksin's offer appeared to kill that hope and some people in Bangkok said they expected bigger protests.

Even if you agree with his populist policies this shouldn't give him immunity to do what he likes. There is a huge black cloud of corruption over him, he also has given scant consideration for democracy where the media is concerned (a true democracy has a media that's not interfered with) and everyone seems to ignore his appalling record on human rights.

For someone as rich and powerful as Thaksin the rural vote was never in question.

I don't agree with his populist policies.

Nevertheless, Thailand is slowly slipping into a crises in which issues such as corruption will be minor compared to the consequences of the ongoing conflict.

What we are having is not comparable to the past powerstruggles between elitist fractions that hardly touched the emotions of the countryside. What we have is about half the population pro Thaksin, and the other half either against him or does not want to get drawn into taking sides. Those fractions are clearly divided by largely economic divisions. If this is not solved ASAP on the negotiation table, ALL Thais are in for very difficult times, regardless of political affiliation or social class.

Both sides, for the good of ALL have to work out a compromise. That compromise must involve the rural poor, and accept their trust in Thaksin. Misled as they may be, they have a democratic right that their opinions are taken serious.

If Thaksin is forced out over their head without a for them acceptable compromise, can you imagine the long term consequences, especially regarding social peace and security matters?

We have seen over the last 3 years a tremendous rise in all sorts of violence in Thailand, especially random violence. If the PAD and their mainly middle class supporters do not work towards a compromise with Thaksin, one of the long term effects will be further rise of nihilism under large sectors of the Thai society.

Even today, away from the public eye, certain industrial suburbs have developed into nighly no-go zones, in which the gangs rule and terrorize the population. There, politics does not matter much anymore.

If people want this to become Thailand's future, just keep on this with this madness.

I don't agree with his populist policies.

Nevertheless, Thailand is slowly slipping into a crises in which issues such as corruption will be minor compared to the consequences of the ongoing conflict.

What we are having is not comparable to the past powerstruggles between elitist fractions that hardly touched the emotions of the countryside. What we have is about half the population pro Thaksin, and the other half either against him or does not want to get drawn into taking sides. Those fractions are clearly divided by largely economic divisions. If this is not solved ASAP on the negotiation table, ALL Thais are in for very difficult times, regardless of political affiliation or social class.

Both sides, for the good of ALL have to work out a compromise. That compromise must involve the rural poor, and accept their trust in Thaksin. Misled as they may be, they have a democratic right that their opinions are taken serious.

If Thaksin is forced out over their head without a for them acceptable compromise, can you imagine the long term consequences, especially regarding social peace and security matters?

We have seen over the last 3 years a tremendous rise in all sorts of violence in Thailand, especially random violence. If the PAD and their mainly middle class supporters do not work towards a compromise with Thaksin, one of the long term effects will be further rise of nihilism under large sectors of the Thai society.

Even today, away from the public eye, certain industrial suburbs have developed into nighly no-go zones, in which the gangs rule and terrorize the population. There, politics does not matter much anymore.

If people want this to become Thailand's future, just keep on this with this madness.

What the election has proved is that the 'rural constituency' is an extremely powerful one and any party wishing to gain power needs to appeal to it (or control it!). If Thaksin goes it doesn't mean the end to these policies - TRT will still be in power, but any swift compromise has to come from Thaksin. Does he really think he is the only person who can run Thailand? If Thaksin really cared about Thailand or 'loved Thailand' then he would realise that he has no option. On the other hand if he is just a power hungry megalomaniac who is only trying to increase his hegemonic control over the region then he will stay. He may have over half the votes but he has completely polarized the nation - its not that 40%+ Thais prefer someone else - they hate him and don't trust him.

Does he really think he is the only person who can run Thailand?

Only personal speculation, but yes, i believe that he is absolutely convinced of this. And, yes, i do believe that he is slightly megalomaniac. Just look at the photos and videos of his behavior when surrounded by the crowds of admirers...

The problem with it is, that he has convinced nearly half of the population of his uniquenes as well. That is a factor that has to be calculated in.

Lets see, publically, according to the articles posted here, he has come up with certain offers of compromise that should be followed up in closed door meetings (pulic debates rarely get to any solution as every side only ponificates to their respective crowds). The PAD and the ex-opposition should, as the strongest social forces against Thaksin, for the benefit of all, take up those offers of reaching a compromise.

Edited by ColPyat

Anyways let's see where this soap opera leads to next. :o

A much weaker THB hopefully :D

Come on, grow up. He commands a much greater majority than any other leader I can think of, and whether you like it or not, the majority are for him.

He is liked because he is the first one to provide real benefits for the poor in the rural areas. The main reason why he is hated by the Bangkok lot.

The majority are not "for" him. The majority are only interested in taking the money that he offers them to vote for him.

He is in actuality despised by any Thai who can see the big picture, as they can se the way that he has raped the country for his own, his family's and his friends personal gain.

When you have people like "the little man" (and so many other very well respected Thais) coming out against him it is clear that the people who can see past the end of their noses think that he is a disgrace and an embarressment to the realm.

Edited by john b good

[ets see, publically, according to the articles posted here, he has come up with certain offers of compromise that should be followed up in closed door meetings (pulic debates rarely get to any solution as every side only ponificates to their respective crowds). The PAD and the ex-opposition should, as the strongest social forces against Thaksin, for the benefit of all, take up those offers of reaching a compromise.

I think they should take that offer only when it is in a public debate. My feeling is that Thaksin is trying to hold on to all his money and is terrified it will be ceased. Behind closed doors he probably can make a 'deal' to secure his financial situation.

Somehow (i wonder why) i only think he cares about that, and is willing to do a lot to keep it.

When you have to meet in public, questions will be asked, which he can not answer without lying, and he propably will be unable to hold his nerves. Again behind closed doors, he has the impression he can get away with it.

Thaksin 'claims' victory in Thailand

International Herald Tribune

BANGKOK - Thaksin Shinawatra claimed victory Monday in national elections, which were boycotted by opposition groups, and said he had a mandate to return as prime minister.

"I am satisfied with the result," Thaksin said on national television, his first substantive comments since the voting Sunday. "Sixty percent of people trust me."

His self-claimed numbers seem to rise hourly... what happened to his "wait for the official vote tally?"

But in a concession to opposition groups that have called for his resignation, Thaksin offered to set up an independent committee to judge his fitness to rule that would be made up of former prime ministers, former supreme court justices, former members of Parliament and deans from Thai universities.

"I will stay or I will go," he said. "If this committee thinks that it's better if I quit, I will go."

more suspicious promises.... :o

Thaksin said his party received 16 million votes, or 57 percent of the 28 million votes cast. Official results were expected Tuesday.

why wait? we have Thaksin's "official" word on the totals :D

About 10 million voters showed their disapproval of Thaksin by ticking the "abstain" box on their ballots, a record number that opposition groups said showed the depth of disaffection in the country.

Far from resolving Thailand's political crisis, the election Sunday opened the door to dozens of by-elections where unopposed candidates failed to meet the 20 percent threshold of support mandated by Thai election law. The Election Commission said Monday that it would hold by-elections in 38 constituencies. :D

Thaksin's party ran uncontested in 278 of the 400 voting districts, virtually guaranteeing an overwhelming majority in Parliament. But analysts said it could prove a hollow victory.

"The boycott has robbed Thaksin of electoral legitimacy," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a professor of political science at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. "It's a bogus Parliament they will end up with, dominated by themselves."

The tenor of Thai politics Monday was little changed from the acrimonious disputes that played themselves out on the streets and in newspaper columns in the weeks before the election. Incomplete results showed familiar fault lines: Thaksin's party achieved strong support in the north and northeast, especially in the rice growing agrarian heartland.

But there were large numbers of abstentions in Bangkok and in the south, where Thaksin has been harshly criticized for his policies in that Muslim region.

The overall impression was that Thailand remains in a confusing stalemate, with little sign that its political wounds would be healed soon.

With the official vote still being calculated, Thaksin and his opponents pored over results that showed his party winning all 36 constituencies in Bangkok.

But equally significant were the number of voters who had ticked the "abstain" box on their ballots. In 21 Bangkok constituencies, or 58 percent, the number of abstentions was greater than the votes for Thaksin's party, according to data from the Election Commission, a result that opposition leaders said amounted to a vote of no-confidence in Thaksin.

Abhisit Vejjajiva, head of the Democrat party, which boycotted the election, said the strong abstention vote showed that Thaksin did not have a genuine mandate.

"There are a lot of people who voted 'no vote' this time," Abhisit said. "It shows that most people think this election is not the answer to the problem right now. And that's the reason the Democrat party didn't join the election in the first place."

Thaksin's party appears to have lost in only one constituency. Manote Senachoo, from a little-known party called Khon Khor Plod Nee, which translates roughly as the "anti-debt party," won in the southern province of Nakon Sri Thammarat, the Thai media reported.

But Manote's election appeared to be a fluke: He received only 3,712 votes, slightly ahead of the candidate from Thaksin's party but far behind the nearly 37,000 abstentions.

Newspapers and other media, meanwhile, showed little optimism that the crisis would be resolved soon. "The huge rallies and loud calls for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to resign will resume by Friday, as if nothing happened," the Bangkok Post said in an editorial.

Thaksin is a business man, he invested 30 Baht each with the poor people but he makes a lot of profits our of that. He wants to own Thailand!!!! He wants to convert the Thai Democracy to Communism that he will let people work and he is the one who collects all the benefits.

Business people never stop from being so greedy :o Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !

Premier’s high-stakes gamble fails to pay off

Financial Times

When Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand’s prime minister, impulsively dissolved parliament and called snap elections on February 24, he bet on winning an indisputable new mandate from the country’s 45 million eligible voters. He reckoned such a decisive verdict would defuse street protests calling for his resignation by what he thought was a noisy minority of Bangkok residents.

But Mr Thaksin’s high-stakes gamble has not paid off. Formal results of the vote have yet to be announced by the Election Commission, but an election intended to demoralise Mr Thaksin’s critics has unexpectedly highlighted the extent to which his popularity has waned, especially in the capital and other urban areas, since his landslide re-election victory in February 2005.

Instead of quelling calls for his resignation, analysts say, the election – boycotted by the opposition and widely seen as a referendum on his leadership – may have exacerbated pressure for him to step down. Bangkok was swept by rumours of Mr Thaksin’s imminent resignation, reflecting a looming crisis in the poll’s wake.

“It’s going to be a difficult and very controversial result,” said Chris Baker, author of a book about Mr Thaksin’s business and political career. “Given the fact that this poll was supposed to give him a landslide and reconfirm his mandate, it clearly has not done that.”

Michael Montesano, a South-East Asian studies professor at the National University of Singapore, said the unusual election was still up for grabs. Much would depend on political players’ ability to spin the results in the days ahead.

“Right now, the question is what the various parties to the crisis make of this result, and how effective they are at getting their own spin out,” he said.

Mr Thaksin defiantly began his spinning on Monday night in a 90-minute appearance on a television chat show. He declared victory, saying his party had won 16m of 28m votes cast, more than the 50 per cent threshold he said he needed to stay in power.

In a supposed olive branch to his critics, he offered to establish an independent committee of prominent Thais to devise a plan to reconcile the polarised population, and pledged to accept any advice from them – even a suggestion that he resign. But he said his political rivals must first promise to stop their protests, and agree to honour the commission’s recommendations. If they were to refuse, Mr Thaksin said, he intended to proceed unilaterally with constitutional reform.

Somchai Phagaphasvivat, a Thammasat University political science professor, forecast increasing trouble, and potential violence, as Mr Thaksin clung on to power.

“Thaksin wanted to legitimise his rule with an outright victory, but victory here is very doubtful,” Mr Somchai said. “Thailand is a unified country, and you can’t say you have a majority only in some part of the country. When you talk about political legitimacy, it should be widespread, not territorial.”

Bangkok’s voters, who handed Mr Thaksin’s Thai Rak Thai party 33 of the city’s 37 parliament seats only a year ago, rebuked the premier on Sunday, using the ballot’s No vote – a formal rejection of the proffered candidates – to register their discontent. Of the 2.63m ballots cast in the capital, Thai Rak Thai received fewer than 46 per cent of the votes, while the No votes, and spoiled ballots – many had anti-Thaksin messages scrawled on them – totalled 54 per cent.

Thitinan Pongsudhirak, Chulalongkorn University political analyst, said Bangkok’s clear opposition to the premier boded ill for Mr Thaksin’s ability to lead the country. “Bangkok is the vortex, the nerve-centre of the country,” he said. “If Bangkok is in turmoil, it will be very difficult to govern.”

Protest votes were not confined to the capital. In the prosperous south – a stronghold of the opposition Democrat party – abstentions and spoiled ballots far exceeded votes for Thai Rak Thai. In 38 constituencies, unopposed Thai Rak Thai candidates lacked the required support – 20 per cent of eligible voters – to be legally elected, and the Election Commission said by-elections would be required.

Analysts expressed surprise at the high number of abstentions in the country’s central plains – on Bangkok’s periphery – and in provincial towns, even in regions where Thai Rak Thai support is otherwise strong.

“Bangkok wasn’t what he thought, the south is obviously worse, and even urban areas in the provinces didn’t support him,” said Supavud Saicheua, head of research at Phatra Securities.

Good to see democracy in action! Thaksin won by a landslide, and if the opposition ran, they would have lost big because they represent mob rule and anarchy.

Hope the arrests can finally begin as the PAD have crossed the line from protesting into economic terrorism.

Edited by Thaible

Bangkok Post:

"

Opposition rejects Thaksin plan

The former opposition parties and leaders of street protesters have both rejected the plan by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatara to form a reconciliation commission to try to end the division in the country.

The main opposition Democrat Party rejected the offer, saying it no longer believes the prime minister.

Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul, who speaks for the People's Alliance for Democracy and its street protests, described the offer made during a TV appearance last night as another attempt by the prime minister to maintain his grip on power.

Mr Sondhi said the public rally scheduled for Friday afternoon at Makhawan Bridge is still on.

"The prime minister just wants to find ways to stay in power by finding new marketing strategies and new products," said Democrat Party spokesman Ong-Art Klampaiboon.

In addition to the critics and the street rallies, there also will be a blizzard of court cases and lawsuits over the election and other matters. In short, as a news agency wrote this morning, "Thailand looked destined to remain enmeshed in a crisis that has shaken its political stability.""

Bangkok Post:

"Thaksin: Why should I resign?

Opponents reject offer of reconciliation panel

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra claimed last night that the voters had given him a mandate to form a new government. He also offered to set up a national reconciliation panel of eminent persons to find a way out of the post-election crisis.

''The people have decided. Whether I stay or go, there must be reasons. And if it's good for the country, I'd immediately resign,'' he said on Channel 11.

He would be happy to step down if his resignation benefitted the country and brought about reconciliation.

''Can anyone guarantee that everyone will not fight, that the Democrat party will prepare for the next elections, that Chamlong will go back to the monastery, and that Sondhi will go back to his business?

''If so, I will,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin said his Thai Rak Thai party won roughly 16 million votes, outnumbering the no-vote vote and votes for smaller parties _ which he estimated at 10 million, or 40% of all votes cast.

The number of votes meant that he received more than half of the votes, or about 60%, he said.

In a pre-election speech on March 3 at Sanam Luang, Mr Thaksin vowed to step down if he did not win at least half the votes cast on Sunday.

While the high number of no-vote ballots raised many eyebrows, Mr Thaksin said it was predictable.

The no-vote ballots were a combination of the supporters of three former opposition parties that boycotted the elections, fans of his nemesis Sondhi Limthongkul and some of his ex-supporters, he said.

The election results were consistent with the TRT's own poll on March 22.

Mr Thaksin also floated an idea of setting up an independent committee to work on national reconciliation and suggested that it be composed of non-partisan individuals such as former supreme court presidents, former parliament presidents, former prime ministers and academics.

The committee would gather different opinions and find common grounds to bring about reconciliation.

He also reiterated his proposal for a government of national unity.

''I've stepped back to the point I can go no further. I'm happy to resign today, but give me reasons that I can give to those who voted for me,'' he said.

As for the anti-Thaksin protesters, he said he would take into consideration both legal and political aspects when dealing with them. ''If politics is applied alone, the protest would last for another seven years,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin said it was the duty of the Election Commission to solve the problem if the opening of the House was delayed because there were fewer than 500 MPs.

With so many no-votes, it was likely there would be several rounds of elections, delaying the opening of parliament and the selection of the prime minister.

The Democrat party immediately rejected the offer of a reconciliation panel.

''We no longer believe in the prime minister,'' Democrat spokesman Ong-art Klampaibul said. ''Therefore, we are not interested in his offer.''

Phibhop Dhongchai, a core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said Mr Thaksin had once again used votes to justify himself. The caretaker prime minister had asked the public what his problems were.

''We see that he has problems with ethics. He sold shares and avoided paying taxes. He didn't take care of national interest as he sold the satellite.

''He is implicated in conflicts of interest and makes rules that benefit his business. He interferes in the media, in the independent agencies. And today he asks the public what his problems are,'' he said.

Parinya Thewanarumitkul, of Thammasat University, questioned the prime minister's way of calculating the votes, saying the tallies from constituency elections should be included.

He welcomed Mr Thaksin's pledge to step down if the PAD halted the protests. ''The PAD should try it out. If he doesn't keep his word, they can protest again. It's known that his word cannot be trusted.''.

Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, of the National Institute Development Administration, said Mr Thaksin did not appreciate the importance of the no-votes cast in the provinces.

Elections in the provinces were usually tainted with vote buying, so no-votes were considered pure votes.

The coalition of academics for democracy called on the TRT to cease political activities, citing the high number of no-vote ballots and invalid ballots.

In a statement, the lecturers said the party should make it possible to set up an interim government with a non-partisan prime minister to carry out constitutional amendment.

PAD core leader Somsak Kosaisuk said the alliance will hold a meeting today at the October 14 Memorial to discuss a new anti-Thaksin campaign.

Interior Ministry sources said TRT won 16,246,368 votes for party candidates nationwide, wtih 1,735,264 invalid votes, and 8,399,144 no-votes. For constituency candidates, TRT won 15,387,223 votes, with 3,495,239 invalid votes, and 9,207,230 no-votes.

The sources placed nationwide voter turn-out at 28,765,506 against a total of 45,148,929 eligible voters."

Why do they have such exact figures whilst the official results have not yet been released? Also why such a big discrepancy with iTV's unofficial figures?

Election results are a rude wake-up call for Thaksin

The returns from Sunday's election are defying all predictions. Even Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his all-powerful Thai Rak Thai Party have been caught off guard, falsely believing as they did that the stage-managed election was to be a sure bet to reclaim their political mandate.

The overwhelming number of abstention votes are sending out the loudest of political messages, one that Thaksin is finding hard to ignore. It is tantamount to a rejection of what has become known as "Thaksinomics" - a CEO-style of leadership signified by corruption, cronyism and conflicts of interest.

Until the first ballot was cast, the election results appeared to be a foregone conclusion. Thai Rak Thai was running without a significant rival. Thaksin's populist appeal was still his strongest asset. The campaign to oust the business tycoon turned politician from office seemed to be confined to the urban masses. And from all appearances, the campaign for voters to go to the polls but abstain as a gesture of protest simply did not seem to be gaining much steam.

So everybody was stunned when it became clear from early returns that there were far more abstention votes than one would have expected, even outstripping votes for Thai Rak Thai candidates in most constituencies, particularly in Bangkok and the South.

The biggest question is what triggered the massive "no vote" now threatening to deprive Thaksin and his party of legitimacy.

The months-long demonstrations led by the People's Alliance for Democracy, of course, were most instrumental in igniting the anti-Thaksin sentiment that eventually spread to practically all sectors of society. Even though daily street rallies drew tens of thousands of people on each occasion, they were not seen as a real impediment to Thaksin's return to power.

But a series of events immediately preceding the election had the effect, many believe, of convincing undecided or reluctant voters their voices could make a difference. Some of the incidents sound isolated but combined were powerful enough to mobilise legions.

One was an encounter the PM apparently didn't expect - especially not after being assured his visit to one of Bangkok's most famous open markets in Soi Lalaisap would be carefully stage-managed. It was so meticulously planned that many of the shop-owners were prepared to parade out with red roses to offer to Thaksin in a choreographed show of support.

But then the unexpected happened. A group of angry shopkeepers led by three ladies broke the silence in a food court where the prime minister was enjoying a bowl of noodles, yelling what has become a familiar refrain: "Thaksin, get out!" Thaksin was no less visibly shaken by the angry chant than the members of his entourage who had planned the visit as a well-publicised campaign event on behalf of the Thai Rak Thai candidate for that area's constituency. For the first time, people were telling him right to his face to get out.

It was without a doubt an act of extreme courage, considering the circumstances of the moment and possible consequences. Widely publicised in the media, it had the effect of inspiring, even emboldening, ordinary citizens who were frustrated with current political leadership but too timid to speak out.

Then last Thursday, more than 2,000 people calling themselves the Caravan of the Poor blockaded the offices of the Nation Multimedia Group on Bang Na-Trat Road, protesting an article deemed lese majeste that had been published earlier in Kom Chad Luek, a Thai-language daily belonging to the group. Although the protest was portrayed as a show of loyalty to the monarchy, its real motive was partly to intimidate the press and partly to flex some political muscles.

The incident, however, backfired. Instead of silencing the media or cowing critics of the government, it galvanised them. The fact that a certain political figure closely associated with the government was behind the potentially violent protest didn't escape the public's attention.

On the same night, former prime minister Chuan Leekpai and Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva were sent running for their lives as hundreds of Thaksin supporters, pelting them with eggs and other projectiles, gate-crashed their Chiang Mai rally. It was a blatant act of violence that flew in the face of democracy. Ordinary people, even those with no real Democrat sympathies, were shocked. What disturbed them even more was the belief that the attack had been sanctioned by the powers that be.

Then early on election day, leading Chulalongkorn University lecturer Chaiyan Chaiyaporn defiantly tore up his ballot before an army of cameramen at a polling booth. He not only sent a powerful political message, but also inspired many who watched his bold act on television or heard about it on radio to come forward themselves to register their own rejection of the ruling party through the ballot box.

If the anti-Thaksin demonstrations that so rattled the political leadership were the starting point, these subsequent incidents probably constituted the tipping point that may eventually pave the way for Thaksin's exit. But the question is whether his will be a graceful exit or one with a high price to be paid in political and social harmony.

Thepchai Yong : THE NATION

---------------------------------------------------

It's unbelievable. :o

Constituency 9 ( Pak Pa Nang ) There is one seat for opposition party.

Kon kor plod nee party's Maanoat Senachu (NO.10) won the election at Nakhon Si Thammarat province.

post-27080-1144098987.gif

Congratulations! :D

About 13 Ramkhamhaeng University students marched to the Thai Rak Thai Party's headquarters

post-27080-1144102181_thumb.jpg

"Liar prime minister - very corrupt too"

post-27080-1144101913_thumb.jpg

"Ramkhamhaeng students have awoken, and we will rescue the nation,"

post-27080-1144102245_thumb.jpg

Good to see democracy in action! Thaksin won by a landslide, and if the opposition ran, they would have lost big because they represent mob rule and anarchy.

Hope the arrests can finally begin as the PAD have crossed the line from protesting into economic terrorism.

Reality and fantasy can be difficult to separate, eh?

Do you have even one news source that describes the as-yet untotalled tally as a "landslide?"

Edited by sriracha john

Reality and fantasy can be difficult to separate, eh?

Do you have even one news source that describes the as-yet untotalled tally as a "landslide?"

Good heavens SJ...don't you ever sleep during this turmoil...? watch your health !!! It's not worth it :o

LaoPo

Who says it was a majority? Only Thaksin.

The EC should come out with the final figures tomorrow, but of all people the party that was running in this election should have a good handle on the numbers. After all I'm sure that there was a scrutinizer from TRT at every poll.

Who are these EC officials that say everyone who defaced a ballot knew their ballot would become void? Did they ask all of them why they did it and did they know it would? It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that many did not know.

The EC had a whole page on on what was a good mark with the stamp, that you posted. I'm sure there are other regulations regarding pens and what is and what is not a good ballot. Everyone here knows that if you vote for 2 people or write on your ballot it is voided. That's so that no one can distinguish how one person's votes from how another person votes so they can stay anonymous.

What are the numbers on these ballots, that were nullified, actually defaced? How many were nullified by EC officials for arbirtrarily-decided stray marks or improperly placed, rubber-stamped marks? Never have heard any explanation regarding why the switch to these rubber stamps, btw.

A void ballot is a void ballot, they don't sort them into categories, why would they. They did accept the one the guy did in Blood, in most other countries that would be classed as a spoiled ballot as it was not marked with the appropriate instrument.

I live in the south and there is serious hatred for this guy up in here. I hear the wild battle cries to have him gunned down by an army of burmese construction workers moonlighting as mercernaries at least a couple times a day. I can't figure how the relatively chicken shitt stuff he's done is given so much attention (by the self proclaimed "educated" no less) and the completely crazy shitt that happens right here in their own backyard is somehow dismissed.

As one prominant southerner explained to me over lunch last weekend. The people of the south are educated and aren't fooled by his lies. I could only assume that the Northerner and NEasterner were relegated to the "uneducated" and therefore ignorant.

How does one respond to that? I agreed that the south has a population who'd received top notch education from some of the best universities in Thailand and therefore the planet (I might even have said universe). And that travel to Singapore and KL qualified most down here as worldly and enlighted to the ways of "DA FALANG". Somewhere in the back of my mind an article about several million baht donated for Tsunami relief being "unaccounted for" in the local government's baliwick was queued for comment and then wisely dismissed as we were eating a stone's throw away from city hall and several of his boyhood friends.

As far as I can tell Thaksin really pisssed off the south by never coming down here due to lack of constituency. Dummb assed move on his part. Exactly like when Bush didn't come to the aid of Californians when the Tx. based petrols were gouging the shitt out us. Now that f. moron has an army of ca. liberals and convseratives who've converted just waited to f. him up on ANYTHING.

so that was his first f.u.

Next was when he didn't maintain his ethics in "appearance AND fact" When your the PM of a country like Thailand its not good enough to stay within the law and legislation. You can't do anything that would even appear to the public as below the line. These are a people so f. fed up with that s. that when they even see something that appears to be out of line by their PM --shitts gonna start flying in all directions. How could that d.shitt not figure that?

so that was his second f.u.

To me the surreal was when he was embroiled in a complex negogiation with Liverpool FC to purchase with what "appeared" to be financing within arms length of Gov of Thailand's funds.

Bush was given years of criticism for finishing a book reading by elementary students when the 9.11 attacks were occurring. This guy's is wrestling with purchasing a football club in the face of issues so severe and long listed that I can't imagine what he was thinking.

thats just pure stupidity. Bush wouldn't even have done that. well maybe.

I can't help but think of at least a handful of things more deserving of such a mobilization of a countries population whenever I hear about the guy not paying a tax bill. Illegal? Maybe. don't know enough about Thai law. Stupid thing to do while PM? no doubt. Same story, different country. oh well,

just another lesson in Physiology and Anatomy teaching us how when one finger is pointed outward there's always four pointed right back.

For me it all really boils down to pure apathy. Don't have to excercise my middle or any other fingers to point out the mistakes of others. Don't have to worry about feeling embarrassed for Bush and how horrible for him it must be to watch the replay of whatever he just tried to say or do.

and-- Thaksin is for the Thai's to deal with.

another cup of coffee and then the beach. Have a good summer!!

Edited by RobPheister

It's unbelievable. :o

Constituency 9 ( Pak Pa Nang ) There is one seat for opposition party.

Kon kor plod nee party's Maanoat Senachu (NO.10) won the election at Nakhon Si Thammarat province.

post-27080-1144098987.gif

Congratulations! :D

That is great news. Now we can all finally quit calling the Democrats and the other "didn't runs", the Opposition. Now there is a different elected Opposition that deserves that title.. :D

Adichai>> If you really think the 30baht-scheme has helped the poor or the loans to everyone that wanted it has put the poor in any better position then they where in before, then you better wake up and do it quickly.

It's almost amazing reading this from (semi-) educated expats (and other signups) on this board.

TAWP you got it right, the rural poor are far worse off since TRT came into power. The Health system is not providing much more than basic first aid for 30 baht. Debt is miring those who took up loans.

I live in a rural community who voted for TRT because they were given a paltry sum to do so. When questioned the standard answer heard is that "I don't like TRT, but no-one else will give me money"

Yes, for the rural poor, grinding poverty is the norm - that being the case, a few baht is a great carrot.