Crackdown On Powder, Bras And Water Guns

george

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o Not sure why anyone isn't allowed to wear skimpy tops, however, the pump action waterpistol ban seems a good one. IMHO it would be a good idea to stop people spraying motor cyclists. We saw one try to dodge some water spraying in our soi last year and in doing so really came a cropper. Bone through jeans! :D Poor bugger.

Visitors arriving in Thailand during Songkran Festival will be given a special treat at the Bangkok International Airport

Tourists entering Thailand during April 12th to 15th via Thai Airways International will be able to experience the traditional way of celebrating the Thai New Year or Songkran.

Managing Director of the Customer Services Department of Thai Airways International Rhatchya Pamon-montri (รัชยา ภมรมนตรี) says the company has redecorated its VIP rooms at the Bangkok International Airport to suit the Songkran Festival. Visitors will, upon their arrival, be given scented water which will be gently poured onto their palms. The gesture is equal to asking for blessings, in which both sides will exchange good wishes.

According to Mrs. Rhatchya, the ceremony is organized annually to promote cultural conservation. Visitors arriving during the period will be greeted by THAI ground hostesses dressed in traditional costumes while the airport will be decorated with native scented flowers. On each flight, customers will be offered favorite desserts of the season such as sweetened sticky rice with ripe mango. At the VIP rooms of the domestic terminals, THAI staff will also perform Thai classical music for the customers.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department

Great fun ruined only by Fat and Fiftyish falangs acting like 18 year olds.

The two morons on top of soi13 last year all day squirting water in motorcyclist faces should have been arrested.

quote name='Greer' date='2006-04-04 16:24:09' post='705181']

I agree Meadish...

For those who hate it.... for heavens sake... it's once a year!

It's just for fun - and if you go out dressed up to the nines into an area where the water festivities are in full swing - what do you expect?

I've lived in Thailand a long time, and the fun of Songkran is just that - sanuk!

Maybe the governement should set aside certain areas where people who wish to chuck water all over the place can do so - and then those who don't want to be involved can keep away and no-one will be offended by getting wet.

It's not as if it was cold weather either - wear a t-shirt and an old pair of shorts and enjoy some fun and get cool in the heat of April.

I admit that I am not terribly in favour of ice in the water either, but it's all in good humour - so just duck a bit.... geees...

Great fun ruined only by Fat and Fiftyish falangs acting like 18 year olds.

The two morons on top of soi13 last year all day squirting water in motorcyclist faces should have been arrested.

quote name='Greer' date='2006-04-04 16:24:09' post='705181']

I agree Meadish...

It's just for fun - and if you go out dressed up to the nines into an area where the water festivities are in full swing - what do you expect?

I've lived in Thailand a long time, and the fun of Songkran is just that - sanuk!

Maybe the governement should set aside certain areas where people who wish to chuck water all over the place can do so - and then those who don't want to be involved can keep away and no-one will be offended by getting wet.

It's not as if it was cold weather either - wear a t-shirt and an old pair of shorts and enjoy some fun and get cool in the heat of April.

I admit that I am not terribly in favour of ice in the water either, but it's all in good humour - so just duck a bit.... geees...

Songkran should be fun but not if you live in pattaya where it lasts 8 days 24 hours a day.I also enjoy it for 1 or 2 days as it is is all over thailand but I start hate it if they play it for 8 days even at nights when you are dressed up to go out.Hope this crackdown also apply for pattaya.Don't blame the thais because the farangs are the one who act like children without brains.

Okay, a little spraying with the smaller guns is okay. Buckets of ice-cold water, not for me thanks. I don't see anything too wrong with the powder, as long as it doesn't go in the eyes. And seeing the girls is worth the plane fare, I'd say. The world's biggest wet t-shirt show.

But what I really fail to understand is the mentality of people who spend hours a day for days on end throwing water at people. Okay, an hour or two is fun, but it goes on and on and on. Absolutely brainless.

I agree Meadish...

That's as maybe - but on Tuesday this week (4th April) TAT announced on the Public Relations Dept website that water throwing had started already. Two years ago, two weeks after Songkran, I took a 10kg block of ice and 5 gallons of water in the face doing 70kph on my motorbike on one of Chiangmai's main arterial highways .... that gives a four week spread for this nonsense up here in the north.

I assume you think that no-one has to work during Songkran?

Have a reality check!

See my first reply above and have a talk with the families of all the fatalities. Try spending one day of Songkran as a volunteer in a local hospital A&E department - you'll soon change that opinion.

In Chiangmai, as many locals and expats as possible tend to leave during Songkran, because of all the idiots who arrive into the city from elsewhere and leave their brains at home.

Bangkok generally does that normally - the snap election this year has screwed up the normal pre-event warnings from central government to the nation - I predict a lot more deaths and injuries this year, than over the last few years ...... just about the only good thing Thaksin ever did was to try to get Songkran back under control.

That's why there's usually an epidemic-like outbreak of coughs and colds, eye & ear infections etc during the weeks following Songkran? Absence from work due to sicknesses attributed to "Songkran-sicknesses" during late April cause tens of millions of lost working days every year.

So when you're sitting inside a bar enjoying a pint and a pizza, and a mob of pissed up expats from Bangkok runs in and each throws 10 gallons over you and your lunch, how do you react?

(I know how I and the bar owner reacted)

The OP quote is all about returning Songkran to traditional activities - fine by me - the western visitors should all be sat on their verandas, serenely sipping G&T's, discussing the weather, observing graceful and elegant celebrations while being waited on hand and foot by maidservants ....... suits me. Oh yes, and the locals would all revere us as honoured and cherished guests.

When you spot the flying pig, please send me a photo.

Edited by Gaz Chiangmai

I still say that you should get in to it or get away from it. You never hear about Thais going to your country and condeming what you do for celebrations. :o

IMHO keep the powder and water guns but get rid of those annoying bras! They only spoil the view. :D

Now, what's this thing about paint?!?! Never seen it in over 10 years but then, I'm just a po' country boy :D

I must admit that over the years Songkran has got out of hand so some regulation is needed, but telling the girls what to wear is going too far.

Lets make Thailand the hub of wet t-shirts.......... :o

They didn't say anything about tee shirts He! He! that better that a a bathing suit

Lets make Thailand the hub of wet t-shirts.......... :D

I'm not really keen on seeing too many wet t-shirts like this... :o

MVC-483X.jpg

================================================================

Don't be silly, Jai Dee; I know this 'dude' and he's a nice guy. Only crime, as far as I can see, is that he's trying to keep abreast of the situation . . . . . . . L.O.L.

On another note: the "rules" state that "young women are forbidden to wear 'skimpy" tops, right ?

I am just wondering; what then constitutes "older" women (anything over 16 maybe ?)

and; what is the authorities definition of "skimpy"; my goodness; these old "fuddy-duddies" are going a bit too far, don;t you reckon ? ? ? meanwhile; these self-appointed &-annointed chaps are frequent visitors to their favorite "massage-parlours", where they can sneakily enjoy their wharped fantasies; but in public ? ? ? ? Oh no ! ! ! ! charming culture !

Totally agree with the BMA,

Ban those ###### bras. No bras should be worn during Songkran !!

:o

=========================================================

We should start a nation-wide petition: I totally agree; maybe if we hold a demonstration in front of the Paragon . . . . . . It was powerfull enough to sink a piece of Toxin; let's promote bra-less day during Songkrahn ! ! ! ! !

You got my vote !

post-23668-1144297068_thumb.jpg

good some rules for songkran i HATE this time of year so stupid throwing water at people who you dont know and at cars and motorbikes very dangerous.

Busiest time of the year for me. I work in an ambulance and this the season of idiots. Imagine throwing a bucket of water at a motorcyclist who is driving at a normal speed. Of course he wipes out! This happens about 50+ times a day in BKK(This is the amount of people we pick up in Songkrap per day with this complaint! (Not including others who are not so injured or drunk and jump back on!)

We also have a few daily eye-injuries(some permanent) from those water cannons. They are dangerous in the hands of the wrong person(Which in Songkran is 70% of everyone and 99% of Khao San goers), unfortunately no stats on this.

Daily injuries in Thailand is about 2000, in Songkran it jumps to around 8000 (Fatalities from 30 daily to 100+, EG: Songkran 2001 over 5 day period 40,000 injuries and 570 deaths)

But personally I blame 80% of injuries/deaths on alcohol 60%(of 100%) on drunk driving! Maybe the government should be targeting this instead of bikini straps!?

As for me, I normally take one day off and go to my freinds house in the countryside were the village of about 100 get together and spend the day entertaining the kids, In the morning the local monks come and and we give alms then gently pour water over their shoulders, then the older people sit down and we do the same to them then everyone else plays around (without the need of water cannons) then in the evening the kids put on a show for us then later we have Karaoke, dancing and drinking. Pretty traditional affair and I love it.

IF I want to see Bikini straps I can go to A-Go Go bar anytime of the year! I think this only is a "problem" in Khao San and Chok Chai 4 in which case its not a nationwide "problem". People know what those 2 places are like and if they don't like it then go somewhere else. Personally I hate KhaoSan, so.... I go elsewhere and then no problem right!? Each to their own, after all it is a "festive" season, everyone should enjoy in their own way. Issues of rape and straps are crap! No excuse for rape!

Totally agree that they should ban the powder, some nasty people seem to think its funny to mix it with tiger balm and smear it in peoples eyes.

Ill be staying away from the backpacker areas this year..I can only take so many pom pui farang girls dressed in half cut tank tops. :o

There is one good thing that comes from it all, the hippy type farangs on KSR get to have their once a year shower. :D

MVC-483X.jpg

What are they going to do?? arrest kids with water guns?? shoot them with real guns making this a bloodbath instead?? How does the Thai govenment enforce such nonsense with more nonsense???

Is Micky and Minnie, Donald and Goofy going to come this year??? MickieMouseland is nothing without its stars...okay that was silly but how about a water festival and NO WATER???

Okay how about white tee-shirts only and long black see-thru dresses.. so school-girl-like..

UM UM I need some panang goil for lunch...

I wonder what the full moon party on koh phangan is gonna be like next week... im scheduled to go there again :D its just that it happens to get on the 13th (first of the songkran days)... Should be a helluva party. Songkran in a place with in excess of 10,000 drunk and high farangs dancing all night on the beach. Wouldn't miss if for the world :o

MVC-483X.jpg

What are they going to do?? arrest kids with water guns?? shoot them with real guns making this a bloodbath instead?? How does the Thai govenment enforce such nonsense with more nonsense???

Is Micky and Minnie, Donald and Goofy going to come this year??? MickieMouseland is nothing without its stars...okay that was silly but how about a water festival and NO WATER???

Okay how about white tee-shirts only and long black see-thru dresses.. so school-girl-like..

UM UM I need some panang goil for lunch...

Will you PLEASE stop quoting this picture? I don't want to bring up my lunch :D

So why not get out of Pattaya when the sh*t goes down? :o When I still lived in Bangkok, I would leave during Songkran because they managed to mess it up every year.

The provinces are far more agreeable, with less idiots per square meter.

Not necessarily. I've been Chaiyaphum for many a Songkran, and although it doesn't have the crazy farangs, and not too many "high pressure" water guns (they can't afford them), there is must as much water thrown about, even at cars and motorcycles....and more alchohol involved!

Seems to me that this year Songkran can be celebrated in a more 'traditional' style;

like this:

songkele.jpg

no spaghetti bras in evidence here!

Or, is this just a 'green' carwash?

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.

LORAN EISELY, The Immense Journey, 1957

I don't mind the water, but let's remember what the origin of this Bhudist Festival is and that is to bring on the rains. In it's origins you would pour water respectfully over another persons hands. Now the Festival has been highjacked, and in it's extremes, we see hundreds of Punks and bother boys from the UK in particular, going to Pattaya to cause a"Bit of Agro". Whilst water will dry off your clothes there is no excuse for throwing buckets of Talcum Powder over people. In my case I was walking to the Marine Disco in Pattaya with my Wife only to be completely covered in Talcum powder. My clothes and Evening out were ruined. This is thuggery and has nothing to do with the spirit of the Festival of Songkran. I fully Agree that these people should be locked up if they throw talcum powder, or smear peoples eyes with a mixture of talcum powder and Tiger Balm.

The water throwing is OK except when they use canal water when it is again dangerous to use because it is toxic.

Then, of course, may I remind everyone not to take their cameras with them during Songkran unless they are of the Underwater variety. I have lost two cameras so far due to having buckets of water thrown at me, as have many others.

P.S. I am also fiftyish and don't mind a water fight between consenting adults, it is good fun.