Plan to hire Bangladeshis draws flak: Labour shortage in Thailand

webfact

Labour shortage should read as shortage of Thai people who want to work.

No doubt however the next news headline will say, Thai's protest because Bangladeshi take their jobs.

Many countries have this problem..............Look at the USA & many Middle East countries. In fact Thailand is, in my opinion, better off than the USA to get people really working.

The Thai government wants to hire 50,000 foreigners to do work the Thais don't want or don't know how to do. Does this mean that the government does not think Thais are capable or they just want a free lunch. It sounds like a complicated solution to a simple problem. The correct attitude would be “get off the mobile, get out of debt, and go to work.” This is directed to the youth.

The unemployment rate among Thai citizens is less than 01% with many having two jobs to make ends meet. It's one of the reasons that 'speed' pills are so popular in this country. With all the flood prevention schemes, 2.2 - 2.5 trillion Baht infrastructure schemes, etc., Thailand needs a lot more workers than are currently available.

The Thai government wants to hire 50,000 foreigners to do work the Thais don't want or don't know how to do. Does this mean that the government does not think Thais are capable or they just want a free lunch. It sounds like a complicated solution to a simple problem. The correct attitude would be “get off the mobile, get out of debt, and go to work.” This is directed to the youth.

The unemployment rate among Thai citizens is less than 01% with many having two jobs to make ends meet. It's one of the reasons that 'speed' pills are so popular in this country. With all the flood prevention schemes, 2.2 - 2.5 trillion Baht infrastructure schemes, etc., Thailand needs a lot more workers than are currently available.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There are thousands, if not millions, of workers semi-employed growing rice under government subsidy, but happy to do so because of their lifestyle. Stop the subsidy, make small-holding rice farming uneconomic (ie face reality) and they will be forced to seek employment elsewhere. But don't expect them to vote for you when the real world bites their arse.

• Like 1

Why don't they offer employment to Burmese Rohingya on the condition the Myanmar government gives them passports? This would help resolve the citizenship issue and send some money to an impoverished area.

I see where you are coming from but I can't see the Burmese government handing out passports to a group of people that they clearly don't want in their country just to facilitate cheap labour for Thailand. I doubt that there would be much money going home either as there is probably a couple of very simple reasons why they can't fill the jobs with Thai workers (money and conditions) Wouldn't it be better to employ people like the Hmong hill tribe people who 40 years after the VN war ended are still being chased around Laos after being dumped by the US having sacrificed a generation of young men for nothing?

Perhaps the simplest solution is to make the fishing vessel owners comply with Thai Labour Law and pay reasonable wages

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There are thousands, if not millions, of workers semi-employed growing rice under government subsidy, but happy to do so because of their lifestyle. Stop the subsidy, make small-holding rice farming uneconomic (ie face reality) and they will be forced to seek employment elsewhere. But don't expect them to vote for you when the real world bites their arse.

I think it would be good if posters on TV start including a few more verifiable facts in their posts. When you make a statement disagreeing with another poster ( and where does his figure of lessthan 1% unemployment come from?) claiming that "there are thousands if not millions of workers semi employed ...." it just tells me that you can't estimate the number of such workers within a factor of thousands and consequently you are really not in a position to disagree with his point. I am not trying to have a go at you as this forum is full of factless posts containing highly opinionated statements about various topics and I think it would improve the quality of the debates if more people at least attempted to support their opinions with a few facts:-)