Thailand's role in solving the South China Sea impasse

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Thailand's role in solving the South China Sea impasse

Supalak Ganjanakhundee
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Some members - like the Philippines - might be furious as China and Asean moved to compromise over the controversial South China Sea dispute, but they must play along for the benefit of peace and stability in the region.

A tough stance and fierce criticism employed by the Philippines and many other ASEAN members caused a diplomatic disaster for the regional grouping last year in Phnom Penh when they failed to build a consensus on how to address the issue. ASEAN for the first time in its history could not issue a joint communique after the annual ministerial meeting.

Nobody wanted a recurrence of such a situation this year. The dispute over this single issue should not dismantle the entire group and its creditability - or relations with major partner China.

Indeed, Beijing has had territorial disputes with members of ASEAN - Manila, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei - for a long time as they claimed many overlapping areas in the sea. Tension, confrontation and even clashes have taken place many times over past years. The issue has been a sensitive aspect of relations between China and ASEAN for a long time too. Some ASEAN members no longer refer to the maritime area in the Pacific as the South China Sea anymore, but call it the "Eastern Sea".

There are different approaches among concerned parties on how to deal with the disputes over the South China Sea. Beijing made clear, as Foreign Minister Wang Yi said, that China has territorial disputes with some, not all, ASEAN members. It wished to settle the conflict on a bilateral basis, while many ASEAN members wanted to see unity within the group, speaking the same voice against China - but many other members considered the issue none of their business.

It's true that the South China Sea is not the sole issue in Asean-China relations but it's not a minor part, either. As the Thai Foreign Ministry's Permanent Secretary Sihasak Phuangketkeow said "we cannot move the ties ahead unless we overcome the problem in the South China Sea."

Asean wanted a "code of conduct" as the binding guideline for good practice and a peace guarantee in the South China Sea for a long time, but the dream has not come true. The best they could do over the past decade was a Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, made in Phnom Penh in 2002.

The document was known in diplomatic jargon as the DOC, signed by 10 of the then-Asean foreign ministers and the Chinese special envoy and vice foreign minister Wang Yi, who is now foreign ninister of China.

The DOC admitted there were territorial disputes, and Article 4 made clear the parties concerned undertook to resolve their territorial and jurisdictional disputes by peaceful means - "without resorting to the threat or use of force, through friendly consultations and negotiations by sovereign states directly concerned, in accordance with universally recognised principles of international law, including the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea".

However, there remained disputes, tension, confrontation and violence over the past decade following the DOC. Both China and ASEAN called for its full and effective implementation. Rounds of talks, meetings by senior officials and working groups were called to settle implementation but it still did not work.

Asean, therefore, came to the conclusion that the organisation badly needed a binding agreement on a code of conduct with China. The burden fell on Thailand, as it is the current coordinator of Asean-China ties.

Thailand is in a good position to do the job as it is not a claimant and is comfortable dealing with all parties because of its soft manner. The official consultations on the code of conduct China agreed upon during a meeting in Brunei this week were the work of the Thai team which took the coordinator's job last year. Sitting down to talk on codes of conduct is not a diplomatic breakthrough - but can be regarded as an achievement.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-03

Asean, therefore, came to the conclusion that the organisation badly needed a binding agreement on a code of conduct with China.

The code of conduct according to China - Behave, or else!

Solving the South China Sea impasse - I'm surprised Yingluk hasn't suggested a canal to go around it.

Now that she is the MoD with the might of Thailand's military behind her, I'm sure the recalcitrant Chinese will pay more attention to her pearls of wisdom (Mikimoto, bought in Paris).

• Like 2

It is good to see that Thailand will solve all the problems in the South China Sea. Since the PT government has done such a good job of solving it's own problems with Cambodia, and the separatist violence in southern Thailand, they are able to solve other problems.

What was this body of water called before the European imperialist started naming everything. They must have thought that it all belonged to China. coffee1.gif

Edited by tomross46
  • Like 2

Solving the South China Sea impasse - I'm surprised Yingluk hasn't suggested a canal to go around it.

Now that she is the MoD with the might of Thailand's military behind her, I'm sure the recalcitrant Chinese will pay more attention to her pearls of wisdom (Mikimoto, bought in Paris).

It's extraordinary how some can introduce their obsessive hatred of the PM into topics where it is entirely irrelevant, and in this case fatuous to boot.

Returning to the topic the article contains the comment:

"The dispute over this single issue should not dismantle the entire group and its creditability - or relations with major partner China."

The reality is that its ASEAN partners know that Thailand's reflex action is to kowtow to the Chinese.It doesn't matter which party is in power and the unelected feudal,SinoThai corporate and military elites are equally submissive - partly through greed and lack of moral courage (and to be fair partly through cultural interest).Other ASEAN members stand up for their interests - notably Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines and Indonesia - when it is necessary.But Thailand is by tradition a vassal state and will never confront China.Some will point to cultural and ethnic similarities to explain this supine attitude.But this can only be partly true since Singapore for example has equally strong ties.It's also typical of a particularly Thai brand of silliness that the author of the article appears to attach more importance to issuing joint communiques after ASEAN meetings than dealing with Chinese bullying and aggression.I have no idea what were the codes of conduct negotiated by the Thai team in Brunei but you may be sure when push comes to shove the Chinese will pay scant attention to them.I don't blame the Chinese.They are entitled to be taken very seriously as a great power and as Charles de Gaulle noted the state is a cold monster, ie countries are ruthless when it comes to defending their own interests.This powerful motive explains why ASEAN are keen for the US to retain a powerful military presence in the region.Thailand of course wants to play it both ways.And on the sidelines an aggrieved Japan monitors China's rise closely - a rivalry which I predict will become much more dangerous in the next decade.

• Like 2

Asean, therefore, came to the conclusion that the organisation badly needed a binding agreement on a code of conduct with China. The burden fell on Thailand, as it is the current coordinator of Asean-China ties.

Would this happen to be the "Thai code of conduct"? Turn the jet ski and tuk tuk boys loose on China. They will learn about the Thai code of conduct fast.

• Like 1

No wonder these countries are rushing to shore up relations with America as the naked power grab of China becomes more apparent....

_67616829_south_china-sea_1_464.gif

That image says it all. I often wonder about the east Asian nations (Korea, China, Japan) and their "we (The Motherland) will take over the world" propensities.

Funny stuff. Since Thailand does not have any of their own islands being claimed by China, this must all seem a bit amusing to Thailand. Here is a map of what China is claiming. I am surprised they did not claim the Philippines as well. Maybe in the future that red dotted line will reach around and grab a few Thai islands as well.......

No wonder these countries are rushing to shore up relations with America as the naked power grab of China becomes more apparent....

That kinda fits.

When Thailand/locals have an economic downturn they raise prices to generate business. Now let's be friends with the US because we need them but let's bash them at every turn. (Thai logic and economics)

Thailand has no position of influence in this dispute and should stay well away, Thai politicians have little knowledge of world affairs as evident by their inability to control the Southern boarder situation, by putting their nose into this hot spot they could end up getting burned big time, Thailand could do themselves a big favour and mind their own business coffee1.gif

Never happen. This is Yingluck's chance to do her chrome pole dance and get all the attention she thinks she deserves.

As one who only went to 3rd grade in America Le Roy went to the Fouth Grade I was wondering can China solve the problem in South Thailand?

I know all the smart ones on Thai Visa can answer this

Moving a bit off topic, but sure China could solve the problem in south Thailand. Hmmm lets see. In Xinjiang when faced with ethnic troubles, the Chinese just shot a bunch of Uyghurs. In Tibet after taking it over militarily, they moved in many thousand Han Chinese people, and now have a new strategy of moving out the native Tibetan people to instant towns that were recently created. Is this the solution you want Thailand to copy ???

Funny stuff. Since Thailand does not have any of their own islands being claimed by China, this must all seem a bit amusing to Thailand. Here is a map of what China is claiming. I am surprised they did not claim the Philippines as well. Maybe in the future that red dotted line will reach around and grab a few Thai islands as well.......

I travel a lot with work. What is interesting is that Apples iPhone has these exact(red) lines marked out in there Maps. When in any other country in Asia these same lines disappear. This is the most childish of country specific bullish behaviour, they even force there hand with Apple. I constantly argue with Chinese staff and customers about how ridiculous this attitude is. Every single Chinese is patriotic to a tee and believe the entire area is theirs, no questions asked. I see this as Asia's potential time bomb, and I truly believe one or more of the SE Asian countries will fire upon the Chinese navy sometime in the next 20 years over their arrogance. The 400 pound Gorilla will cause major SE Asia instability over this line.

Thailand may be seen as impartial and therefore is in ideal position to contribute to calming the problem.

However, Thailand doesn't seem to be respected as a particularly competent country.

The 'world' doesn't exist outside the Thai borders. Thai culture and therefore abilities, are a straight-jacket. Thinking 'out of the box'? Thailand is permanently in the box.

Personally, I don't think anyone should hold their breath.

If first world countries with an interest can't solve their problems, a second world country which would find it difficult to even grasp such a complex international problem, is likely to have a zero or negative affect.

I believe Thailand will allow the issue to whither on the vine. It won't be an instant 'Chalerm fix', more a long, drawn out, ' we must get all the facts' scenario which will be the perfect excuse for high-profile political talk, but absolutely no progress towards a solution.

Humblest opinion etc

Does the Thai government even care???

Or let me define CARE... that means whoever wins that dispute, Thailand is gonna kiss up their a$$$ no matter USA or China,... That's another word of political backstabbing D*****k riding

As one who only went to 3rd grade in America Le Roy went to the Fouth Grade I was wondering can China solve the problem in South Thailand?

I know all the smart ones on Thai Visa can answer this

Moving a bit off topic, but sure China could solve the problem in south Thailand. Hmmm lets see. In Xinjiang when faced with ethnic troubles, the Chinese just shot a bunch of Uyghurs. In Tibet after taking it over militarily, they moved in many thousand Han Chinese people, and now have a new strategy of moving out the native Tibetan people to instant towns that were recently created. Is this the solution you want Thailand to copy ???

It is not important what we want. It is not even important what Thais want. Not even mentioning what a bunch of profi murderers in the Thai South want.

I was talking about such a possibility in a recent discussion of violence in the South. I have mentioned that the fight against extraordinary adversary requires extraordinary methods.

Irrespectively of your or many other's indignation. I have mentioned mass deportations and relocations on a massive scale. I have even mentioned a ' Burma solution'... All this is history...

Some buffaloes here on TV labeled me as a Racist, a Nazi, etc. Completely without any grounds. But that is their way of non-thinking...

Back to China's claims. Nobody is going into a Military confrontation with China. But Chinese Gov't despite being Commies, are very pragmatic and sensible people. If only Asian countries plus Aus, plus USA, plus EU could come to a consensus on this issue and apply economic pressure - Chinese will negotiate. They are not N.Koreans. And even N.Koreans talk when put up against the wall...

As to Thailand's role in all this affair, - I'm afraid to say it is not existent. Sorry for the 'Face'...

Edited by ABCer