So, The Elections Came And Went...

chanchao

You brought up the backpacker issue doza, not me

Sorry, don't wish to labour the point, but that was after Chanchao reffered to the people from KPN and Surat Thani and what I knew of them in response my post which couldn't work out. I never mentioned them before, or referred to them or anything. That's why I broght up backpackers ... Chanchao???

> That's why I broght up backpackers ... Chanchao???

Err.. I dunno, leave me out of this, I'm being contentious enough just arguing on Mr. T. :o

So let's leave it at that Sbk's husband's view is roughly representative of the general opinion in the South, I don't think anyone would have a serious argument with that assumption. Then we can postpone any Ko Pha Ngan discussion to the next time we touch on the topic of full moon parties, fire-bongo-dancers, dreadlocked gap-yearers, smartie-munching fluorescent body-painted individuals and so on. :D

Happy Taksin's daughter was cleared though, she's a babe. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

> The elections and their aftermath: A national unity reconciliation

> government? How does that mesh with a CEO style PM?

Our CEO will have to get used to a few vice presidents who open their mouths occasionally.

You brought up the backpacker issue doza, not me

Sorry, don't wish to labour the point, but that was after Chanchao reffered to the people from KPN and Surat Thani and what I knew of them in response my post which couldn't work out. I never mentioned them before, or referred to them or anything. That's why I broght up backpackers ... Chanchao???

sorry you got confused Doza!

Surat and Koh Phangan were brought up by Chanchao because those are the locals I was referring to in my post. I live here, have for many many years, my husband is from here as are his gazillion relatives. hence, I do have a pretty good perspective on what locals are thinking. And, as I said, as goes Koh P, so goes (nearly!) the rest of the South. (or vice versa :o)

Anyway, do you really think he is willing to listen to outside opinions? He hasn't been so successful in that before, which is why, I think, the idea of a national unity government is unlikely.

When the Thaksin years are analyzed, they will be seen to be an effort to truly internalize the country, an effort to make free trade agreements, to make the old, lazy bureaucrats accountable.

Hard to drag all those bags at the same time.

While Thaksin’s reach may have exceeded his grasp he worked damned hard to change the country, and Thailand is a damned hard country to change.

I would like to hear from all the Thailand apologists like Ajarn to reassure us that the old way is OK; that any change or criticism of any Thai people inevitably leads back to the fact that I’m just stupid, or don’t undertsand, or I’m so terribly insensitive.

Internalize the country? HUH? what does that mean? eat it whole? shove it up ...?

FTA's? ... sometimes good ... sometimes not ... depends on if they are done well and by whom?

ACCOUNTABILITY? ... for the massacre in the South? for being transparent? For cronyism and nepotism?

You are right ... hard to drag all those at once .... but hel_l ... get some nominees they'll do it!

When the Thaksin years are analyzed, they will be seen to be an effort to truly internalize the country, an effort to make free trade agreements, to make the old, lazy bureaucrats accountable.

Sorry, I meant to say internationalize the country ... getting old and the typing skills aren't what they once were... but it's an interesting concept, to internalize a country. Is that what we call adapting?