The Cost of my Life in Thailand.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ho Hum...A "my monthly budget" thread number 43,00000

So let the cheap charlie battle commence....let's see who can out spend the least...

A bit disappointed with the contents of this thread, when I read the title I was expecting an OP questioning why his wife was getting him to sign so many life insurance policy's and was getting an opinion as to whether the esteemed TV members believed that his wife was setting him up to be knocked off....

That is exactly what I was thinking !!!! Think I have been here way too long, and heard too many bad stories....

I really like the idea of starting a thread like this to help people who might think about moving to Thailand get an idea of costs, so good on you 1020 - I'm sure many people will find your thread via a Google search.

However,just to give you an example of how complex it can get....

'Vehicle: Bought for cash. Gas approx 500 p/w.'

It would be possible to calculate a monthly cost for running a car, if you wanted to, but it's a lot more than just gas. As you know there's the annual road tax, insurance, and servicing costs - I have a little Honda City and just paid 14,000baht for the 60,000km service - that's quite hard to budget for. You've then got tires, batteries, cleaning costs. Some people might also factor in depreciation.

Where you'll really lose track is health care and education costs...

I have a little Honda City and just paid 14,000baht for the 60,000km service

I dont doubt you paid 14k, but just for a service?

My wife has one of those cars and the 6 monthly service, change oil etc, is about 2,000 baht.

Did you replace the tyres, thats about 12k just for tyres, a battery for one of those cars is about 2,000 baht.

Road tax is about 1,600 baht per year, and insurance is about 10k per year for same car.

Yeah, insurance, hows them nappies going? nanny/maid ? Doctors costs for that baby over last 12 months, car rego and insurance, repairs, services....and the list goes on

All added under the extra column. smile.png

Nappies and baby stuff is fine. Twice weekly shopping averages 2k a go and includes all the little one needs.

The extra money as listed (50-60k pm) includes things like the little one's Vaccination and Check-Up Program at a top private hospital which was about 10k for the first 12 months. Insurance and service etc. were already discussed.... Some of you guys seem angry and can't read too well. smile.png

not angry at all and quite an accomplished reader. just in a VERY similar situation and find your numbers spurious. 60k is the bare minimum for me, and i still believe you have glossed over plenty.

800,000 bhat devided by 12months per year = 66,666 retirement and I say that would be spot on for a happy carefree life. I am sure one could live for less, or spend much more, but I think the Thailand Gov has got there retirement figs just right, so some on in there must be smart for once.

Edited by whiteman
  • Like 1

฿42 000.- would give you a good life here in Isaan. Everyone is in a particular situation, but I think you are doing ok. It's the unexpected that you can't budget for...

Absolutely.

The things listed that total 42k are not actually all our expenses. They usually run to about 60k. Absolutely right about unexpected things. The rest of our income is saved as it is one of my main beliefs - Save for the future and the rainy day. I would not recommend anyone in their 30's or 40's to be living a life where they are not putting money away every month.

I lived very happily with only ฿25'000/mth/family here in Chiang Rai...

Edited by RedBullHorn

฿42 000.- would give you a good life here in Isaan. Everyone is in a particular situation, but I think you are doing ok. It's the unexpected that you can't budget for...

Absolutely.

The things listed that total 42k are not actually all our expenses. They usually run to about 60k. Absolutely right about unexpected things. The rest of our income is saved as it is one of my main beliefs - Save for the future and the rainy day. I would not recommend anyone in their 30's or 40's to be living a life where they are not putting money away every month.

I live very happily with only ฿300,000/month here in Thonglor

• Like 1

@YeahSiam Talking big about your 300k but then you want the laundry shop to pay you 5k for 3 tshirts they ruined lol.

To the op, good post. I spent a similar amount without really knowing on what and saving peanuts every month haha

Edited by nami

Absolutely.

Grow up!

I would not recommend anyone in their 30's or 40's to be living a life where they are not putting money away every month.

Would hazard a guess and say greater than 70% of farangs living in Thailand dont follow this sensible advice, and one suspects most wouldnt even have the equivilant of 1 months expenses in the bank in reserve

To be fair, 70% of farangs in this country are not in their 30s and 40s (or 20s) and are off the back end of their earning curve.

And it is only the government and mandatory contributions that bring most farang into the West into line with this requirement.

There are more grasshoppers than ants.

@YeahSiam Talking big about your 300k but then you want the laundry shop to pay you 5k for 3 tshirts they ruined lol.

To the op, good post. I spent a similar amount without really knowing on what and saving peanuts every month haha

Firstly, the ฿300K was a jest so sorry if you had to go through my old posts like a stalker looking for something that, perhaps, evidenced a poverty-stricken existence that you could beat me over the head with laugh.png

Secondly, at ฿2,000 a pop, those t-shirts weren't what I would call cheap so why SHOULDN'T I ask for them to be replaced if the laundry damaged them?

• Like 1

Absolutely.

Only 300k Baht / Month.

Personally I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 400k / month.

Edited by Mark1971
  • Like 1

Only 300k Baht / Month.

That's the spirit.

These threads so often turn into a pissing contest to see who can live on less, I just thought I'd open the bidding at 300K.

That covers rent at the Quattro, 200/20 ultra high speed internet, http://www.absolutefitfood.com/ for when I eat in, Iron Fairies or Maggie Choos for when I don't, cocktails at Grease in soi 49, a permanent VIP table at Bash on soi 11 for when I feel like slumming 'til 7am and 12 grams of 60% pure Peruvian flake each month.

I can't begin to imagine how anyone could survive on less

Only 300k Baht / Month.

That's the spirit.

These threads so often turn into a pissing contest to see who can live on less, I just thought I'd open the bidding at 300K.

That covers rent at the Quattro, 200/20 ultra high speed internet, http://www.absolutefitfood.com/ for when I eat in, Iron Fairies or Maggie Choos for when I don't, cocktails at Grease in soi 49, a permanent VIP table at Bash on soi 11 for when I feel like slumming 'til 7am and 12 grams of 60% pure Peruvian flake each month.

I can't begin to imagine how anyone could survive on less

Try. The exercise will do you good.

I wouldn`t describe the OP`s lifestyle as a simple life.

My family and I live in a large 4 bedroom house, (not rented) 2 motorbikes, numerous pets, dogs, cats, we eat fairly well, live comfortably, and yet my cost of living expenses are less than half what the OP is spending.

Firstly, we use fans, never really felt the need for air conditioning, the electric bill on average 1300 baht per month, have computer with a basic ISP package, 630 per month and we are quite satisfied with the basic Thai TV, no pay channels and so on.

I wonder what the OP does for a living? Because income security would be my main concern if in his situation, plus planning to educate his child himself does not sound like a good idea. It looks like he may not be able to afford proper schooling for his child, which is worrying, as the child`s long term future in Thailand maybe in question.

I am very reluctant to post this, because most readers will probably comment with: NOT POSSIBLE.

Here it is: My monthly average expenses are 13'500 Bht. (Excluding Visa & health insurance).

- I live (alone) in the sticks.

- I have no rent to pay.

- My electric bill is always "0"

- My water bill is always "0"

- I have no "mia-noi"

I smoke, I drink and have a good live.

If I want to spend more, I have to hit places like Bangkok, Pattaya etc. (And I do so on a regular basis.)

Here in the sticks I could not spend more, even if I wanted to.

So, is Thailand an expensive place to live? Can be for some, but not really for me.

Cheers.

Couldn't you at least get electricity and internet, and start living large on 15k baht? :)

• Like 2

I admire anyone who can live a simple life in a crazy city like BKK, regardless of whatever number they attach to the experience. Sadly, I have to agree that many of the hypotheticals do come down to 'how long is a piece of string ?', but anyone looking to live in Asia on a budget really needs to consider a destination with a few less expensive distractions, IMO. Forget the nightlife for a moment - how many of us flee to air-conditioned shopping centers to escape the heat and humidity during the day ? Add a family and its a recipe for several thousand baht disappearing on each and every visit - do that 4 or 5 times a month and it's going to hurt. Just sayin'.

800,000 bhat devided by 12months per year = 66,666 retirement and I say that would be spot on for a happy carefree life. I am sure one could live for less, or spend much more, but I think the Thailand Gov has got there retirement figs just right, so some on in there must be smart for once.

That's about my expenses for the month and I am not retired. I have a mortgage of 20k a month and two kids at private school.

A single retiree could live a happy carefree life on half of that.

• Like 1

I live in Thailand on next to nothing besides rent, food, swimming, internet, and petrol for the 100cc Honda Wah-vay.

However my other expenses include:

Tuition and support for a Thai girl finishing law school

Tuition for a multi-lingual young Thai girl plus her room & board so her mother can maintain a very travel-intensive new job.

Some additional expenses for the mother so she isn't hand-to-mouth after she helps support her little girl

All this I put toward my long-term care account in LOS. But sometimes short-term it's OUCH.