Egypt crisis: Interim president sworn in after Morsi ousted

webfact

Egypt crisis: Interim president sworn in after Morsi ousted

CAIRO: -- The top judge of Egypt's Constitutional Court, Adly Mansour, has been sworn in as interim leader, hours after the army ousted President Mohammed Morsi and put him under house arrest.

Army chief Gen Abdul Fattah al-Sisi announced the move on Wednesday, in what Mr Morsi said was a military coup.

Gen Sisi said Mr Morsi, Egypt's first freely elected leader, had "failed to meet the demands of the people".

The upheaval comes after days of mass rallies against the Islamist president.

Protesters accused Mr Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood of pursuing an Islamist agenda for the country and of failing to tackle Egypt's economic problems.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23176401

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-07-04

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ thanks guys ...

A military coup in all but name: how Egypt's crisis unfolded ...

The army said it wasn't a military coup. President Mohammed Morsi's cheering opponents,

gathered again in their hundreds of thousands, insisted it wasn't a military coup.

protest-night_2608012b.jpg

But when the Republican Guard occupied the television station and convoys of troops and tanks rolled

down Cairo's main boulevards, the cheers from the flag-waving protesters looking on left no-one in any doubt.

The Telegraph

Anyone who was in Thailand a few years ago may have a feeling for what's happening now in Egypt.

Why Egyptians marched against the president they elected ...

Egypt expert and ABC presenter Waleed Aly explains why Egyptians returned to the streets just a year after Mohammed Morsi became Egypt's first democratically elected president.

A really good history into how it happened wrapped up in 2 minutes here ... well worth the viewing.

• Like 2

Thanks David, Nice 2 minute summary.

I have noticed that while there are general calls for concern

I see very few condemnations ........leading me to believe this is a generally acceptable outcome.

The journalist in the vid criticized the military for "mismanaging the transition"

I think thats a bit harsh. The military isn't in a position to evaluate the drafting a constitution, or any other civilian matters.

Actually i give the Egyptian military kudos for knowing their role and getting out of civilian rule asap.

The road to democracy isn't a smooth one. It tests the will of the people. There maybe many starts and stops.

It takes courage to want to be self reliant.

Its harder when there's no one to blame but yourself for your situation.

So I commend the Egyptian people for having the courage and taking the road to democracy,

realizing quickly that they had gotten off the path

and deciding to get back on the road again. That took courage!

At the pub tonight, I'll raise a silent toast to Egypt and hope that they find what they seek.

just a small personal salute.

• Like 2

I sincerely hope Western leaders will keep out of Egypt's affairs. Democracy is a process where the majority get to govern, but there is an implicit understanding by the people that the rule of law should apply to all and protect all, especially those who are not in power. By it's very definition Sharia law can not deliver this and is hence completely incompatible with democracy, let's credit the people for standing up on mass to religious tyranny and the army not bending to external interference in trying to foist upon them a completely untenable situation.

• Like 1

The whole episode with Morsi was so blatant that most any observer could have predicted the outcome 9 to 10 months ago. Bait and Switch just doesn't work when what is being switched is dictators. Secularism has been firmly entrenched in Egypt for a very long time... I believe the Morsi 'look a like' in Turkey is going to find out the same thing..

• Like 2

Coups are never good when driven by economical concerns. Economy, tourism, jobs and money is in the shitter. They have stagflation and growth of 2 percent with inflation around 8.5 to 9 percent. Unemployment is 13 percent. Political instability (and concerns about exactly what is happening now) resulted in capital flight of foreign investors killing domestic business. Egypt's central bank is is insolvent as a result of huge losses and people converting their deposits to dollars and moving their money abroad.

Morsi government could not make the necessary economic reforms to stabilize the economy and obtain necessary assistance from IMF. Reform was needed to reduce deficit and provide investors with some level of comfort. Morsi flinched from taking economic measures such as curtailing fuel and food subsidies and other economic measures that might have had strong opposition from certain facets.

The reality is, the coup is a knee jerk reaction to those desperate about the economic realities of Egypt. Even less tourist will come now, all legitimate foreign investors will now be running for cover, the deficit will spiral out of control, food and gas subsidies will cause mounting budget deficits, inflation will rise, growth will be around 1 percent now, unemployment will ht 18 percent, and IMF will get cold feet and walk away.

The net effect is that coup will result in even more financial hard ship. Coups might be a good thing if the leader is systematically committing acts of genocide, but to encourage a coup for economic concerns is very selfish and short sighted and will only make things worse.

To say US was unaware is ridiculous. US has been extremely aware of the above factors which those making such comments seem completely unaware. IMF, US et al. was actually attempting to help Egypt get their economy back on track. Egypt is suffering from bad economic policies in place for a long time, not unlike Greece, Spain, Italy et al.

Edited by F430murci

Economic problems were certainly at the heart of the Egyptian situation ... But the reason Morsi could not solve them was that his focus was on implementing fundamentalist Islam and Sharia law... Combine neglect of the serious issues of jobs and the economy while at the same time pushing Sharia law on a historically secular nation and of course everything falls apart. But the reason for overthrow was both reasons not just economic. And one should keep in mind the overthrow was done by the people in massive numbers... The military just showed the Brotherhood the door... immediately helping to install a temporary civilian leader... Morsi alienated tens of millions of Egyptian citizens - not just a few hundred members of the military... The Egyptian Military's beak with Morsi came with his speech about the future of Syria...

Morsi role at Syria rally seen as tipping point for Egypt army

Army concern about the way President Mohamed Morsi was governing Egypt reached tipping point when the head of state attended a rally packed with hardline fellow Islamists calling for holy war in Syria, military sources have said. At the June 15th rally, Sunni Muslim clerics used the word “infidels” to denounce both the Shias fighting to protect Syrian president Bashar al-Assad and the non-Islamists that oppose Mr Morsi at home.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/morsi-role-at-syria-rally-seen-as-tipping-point-for-egypt-army-1.1450612

I get that, but when people have no job, no money and stag inflation, that spurs them on.

I get it. Bad situation, but my point was that just put the last nail in their coffin economically. 11 percent of their GDP and something like 2 million jobs are in tourist industry. Kiss that good bye for a while. Foreign investors. Kiss that good bye. Their central bank. Kiss that good bye.

Going to get worse before it gets better. Revolutions shake the economy and they needed to be another year patient and work with IMF and then deal with their political structure in a year from now. Easy to say from out side looking in though.

Edited by F430murci

One side is blaming US as Morsi being a US puppet and Morsi brotherhood supporters are blaming US for plotting with other side to overthrow Morsi. Haha, sounds about right. Gotta be US's fault.

From what I am hearing, Brotherhood is still intact and feeling pretty disenfranchised by military making arrest, shutting down media and etc. Military keeping them out of streets for now, but sounds like it may get ugly in a few days when the excitement is over and millions of brotherhood members realize they will neither a have a voice nor a candidate.

Let's look at the trickle down effect;

- Assad must be thrilled and terrified at the same time. He loses an enemy, but the coup may encourage something similar in Syria.

- Turkey's government loses a potent rival for leadership in the region, but may instead face an even stronger rival if the next president is popular. The Turkish military, while having been purged of many of its secular leaders may make one last try at regaining its position

- Russia is relieved that at least Egypt is not its welfare client state and not its problem. Putin is probably having a chuckle at the US predicament.

- The Gulf states are worried as they need a powerful Egypt to counter the threat of Iran.

- Israel let's go a sigh of relief as Morsi was a wild card. At least with the Egyptian military there will be some semblance of order.

- The US state department is probably celebrating and panicing at the same time. Gone is a bogeyman, but they don't like the unknown.

- The EU is crapping itself at the prospect of an influx of refugees.

- China, Korea & Japan only care if the important oil shipments in the region are disrupted.

- Thailand? Well, I suppose if anyone knows where Egypt is, they might be curious.

• Like 2

Coups are never good when driven by economical concerns. Economy, tourism, jobs and money is in the shitter. They have stagflation and growth of 2 percent with inflation around 8.5 to 9 percent. Unemployment is 13 percent. Political instability (and concerns about exactly what is happening now) resulted in capital flight of foreign investors killing domestic business. Egypt's central bank is is insolvent as a result of huge losses and people converting their deposits to dollars and moving their money abroad.

Morsi government could not make the necessary economic reforms to stabilize the economy and obtain necessary assistance from IMF. Reform was needed to reduce deficit and provide investors with some level of comfort. Morsi flinched from taking economic measures such as curtailing fuel and food subsidies and other economic measures that might have had strong opposition from certain facets.

The reality is, the coup is a knee jerk reaction to those desperate about the economic realities of Egypt. Even less tourist will come now, all legitimate foreign investors will now be running for cover, the deficit will spiral out of control, food and gas subsidies will cause mounting budget deficits, inflation will rise, growth will be around 1 percent now, unemployment will ht 18 percent, and IMF will get cold feet and walk away.

The net effect is that coup will result in even more financial hard ship. Coups might be a good thing if the leader is systematically committing acts of genocide, but to encourage a coup for economic concerns is very selfish and short sighted and will only make things worse.

To say US was unaware is ridiculous. US has been extremely aware of the above factors which those making such comments seem completely unaware. IMF, US et al. was actually attempting to help Egypt get their economy back on track. Egypt is suffering from bad economic policies in place for a long time, not unlike Greece, Spain, Italy et al.yp

The economy may get worse, and I dare say the army will get no more F16's or Abrams tanks. The Muslim brotherhood caused economic collapse period. Who in their right minds would invest in or visit a Country which can't decide whether first to ethnically cleanse it's Christian population, declare war on it's neighbor or destroy it's antiquities for being haram?

• Like 1

I think this video tells the story about how the Egyptian people feel about Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood's ouster....

Note: Read the English language subtitles closely ....

Jubilation in Egyptian TV Studios following Morsi’s ouster

http://www.israelunseen.com/jubilation-in-egyptian-tv-studios-following-morsis-ouster/#.UdYVoW0o0Qs

Edited by JDGRUEN

I think this video tells the story about how the Egyptian people feel about Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood's ouster....

http://www.israelunseen.com/jubilation-in-egyptian-tv-studios-following-morsis-ouster/#.UdYVoW0o0Qs

Er no actually it doesn't show what the Egyptian people feel at all.It shows (courtesy an Israeli news outlet) what a rather excitable small group of middle class journalists in a TV studio feel.Of course Egypt is divided and the huge demonstrations on the streets show the extent of opposition to Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood - and these demonstrators would of course empathise with the hyped up guys at the TV studio.But equally there are many more millions of Egyptians whose loyalties are to the Muslim Brotherhood (MB) - who won a general election a year ago that was generally perceived to be fair.So this game isn't over.My take? Morsi screwed up badly: he had the chance to bring Egyptians together and failed to do so.The concern is that the Egyptian majority whose sympathies lie in the MB direction will feel - we tried democracy and look what happened.Next time round - and there is always a next time round - the Islamicist movement may resort to much more unpleasant strategies.Then the middle class cry babies in the TV studio may look back on Morsi with some nostalgia.

Er no actually it doesn't show what the Egyptian people feel at all.It shows (courtesy an Israeli news outlet) what a rather excitable small group of middle class journalists in a TV studio feel.Of course Egypt is divided and the huge demonstrations on the streets show the extent of opposition to Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood - and these demonstrators would of course empathise with the hyped up guys at the TV studio.But equally there are many more millions of Egyptians whose loyalties are to the Muslim Brotherhood (MB) - who won a general election a year ago that was generally perceived to be fair.So this game isn't over.My take? Morsi screwed up badly: he had the chance to bring Egyptians together and failed to do so.The concern is that the Egyptian majority whose sympathies lie in the MB direction will feel - we tried democracy and look what happened.Next time round - and there is always a next time round - the Islamicist movement may resort to much more unpleasant strategies.Then the middle class cry babies in the TV studio may look back on Morsi with some nostalgia.

Good try ... I have to resist laughing ... The vast majority of Egyptian citizens including Muslims and Christians - whose beliefs are secular compared to the fundamentalist - Islamist - Sharia law Morsi advocates is overwhelming ... Obviously the Egyptian Military has had enough of the radical Islamist and have shown they are ready - willing and able to support the masses ... not the extremist who support Morsi. My money is on the masses of people who revolted and threw Morsi out... they are supported by the vast majority of the people of Egypt - plus the Military ... wishful thinking otherwise...

Muslim Brotherhood on the run in Egypt
  • e8a6d204b86cbfec5ee981770692d200.jpg?ito

Muslim Brotherhood leader, Mohamed Badie, was reportedly captured in the city of Marsa Matrouh, near the Libyan border. Mohamed Morsi, the deposed president was arrested yesterday and placed under house arrest. Arrest warrants have been issued for over 200 other members and leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood.

http://www.examiner.com/article/muslim-brotherhood-on-the-run-egypt

Good try ... I have to resist laughing ... The vast majority of Egyptian citizens including Muslims and Christians - whose beliefs are secular compared to the fundamentalist - Islamist - Sharia law Morsi advocates is overwhelming ... Obviously the Egyptian Military has had enough of the radical Islamist and have shown they are ready - willing and able to support the masses ... not the extremist who support Morsi. My money is on the masses of people who revolted and threw Morsi out... they are supported by the vast majority of the people of Egypt - plus the Military ... wishful thinking otherwise...

What part do you find amusing? For my part I'm pleased Morsi was overthrown - he had a great chance and squandered it through his repressive policies and lack of determination to work for all his countrymen (and I loathe all extremists).But in terms of wishful thinking,perhaps those who underestimate his support need to reflect.In the second round of the election Morsi won just under 52% of the votes cast, and was democratically elected into power in elections which were held to be fair.It's true that Egypt has a strong secular tradition but it's ignoring reality to pretend that the majority are not susceptible to the Muslim Brotherhood or its even more extreme versions.Turkey which through Ataturk has an even stronger secular tradition is learning about the same problem.By all means argue that the recent change of government in Egypt is positive but don't pretend there aren't great dangers particularly when the broker is the bloated and corrupt army, bankrolled by the US.Some people were arguing that Iran was basically a secular state in the time of the Shah .. now what happened there?

So it's up to you.Believe that some lachrymose TV journalists "speak" for the Egyptian people or look at the facts.

What part do you find amusing? For my part I'm pleased Morsi was overthrown - he had a great chance and squandered it through his repressive policies and lack of determination to work for all his countrymen (and I loathe all extremists).But in terms of wishful thinking,perhaps those who underestimate his support need to reflect.In the second round of the election Morsi won just under 52% of the votes cast, and was democratically elected into power in elections which were held to be fair.It's true that Egypt has a strong secular tradition but it's ignoring reality to pretend that the majority are not susceptible to the Muslim Brotherhood or its even more extreme versions.Turkey which through Ataturk has an even stronger secular tradition is learning about the same problem.By all means argue that the recent change of government in Egypt is positive but don't pretend there aren't great dangers particularly when the broker is the bloated and corrupt army, bankrolled by the US.Some people were arguing that Iran was basically a secular state in the time of the Shah .. now what happened there?

So it's up to you.Believe that some lachrymose TV journalists "speak" for the Egyptian people or look at the facts.

Judging by the monumental amount of population resistance in the Egyptian streets protesting and throwing Morsi out ... the idea that Morsi won 'fair and square' the first time around ... well it doesn't seem to add up.

And yes I do believe that the TV news personalities in the video reflected the sentiment of the tens of millions of Egyptians protesting in the streets of Egypt - quite naturally so ... Did you read the captions ... ? Contrary to some posters -- the primary reason for rising up was the forced imposition of Sharia Law that Morsi was imposing ..

Judging by the monumental amount of population resistance in the Egyptian streets protesting and throwing Morsi out ... the idea that Morsi won 'fair and square' the first time around ... well it doesn't seem to add up.

And yes I do believe that the TV news personalities in the video reflected the sentiment of the tens of millions of Egyptians protesting in the streets of Egypt - quite naturally so ... Did you read the captions ... ? Contrary to some posters -- the primary reason for rising up was the forced imposition of Sharia Law that Morsi was imposing ..

Ah so now the election was fixed - opposite to views of all international observers.

I have never argued that the coup didn't have the support of tens of millions of Egyptians, simply that's it unrealistic to ignore the larger number that is susceptible to the Muslim Brotherhood or its more extreme version.With the army in control I agree no early resurgence is likely.

@jayboy: From searching the internet in 2009 it was estimated the Egyptian military budget was approx US$6 billion, that includes US$1.3 billion from US military aid, so I would not say that the US bankrolls the military. In addition the Egyptian military controls around 40% of industry & commerce, so probably not to pleased with Morsi's management of the economy.

@jayboy: From searching the internet in 2009 it was estimated the Egyptian military budget was approx US$6 billion, that includes US$1.3 billion from US military aid, so I would not say that the US bankrolls the military. In addition the Egyptian military controls around 40% of industry & commerce, so probably not to pleased with Morsi's management of the economy.

If US Dlrs 1.3 billion isn't bankrolling,I wonder what is.

On the Egyptian crisis generally (and Western attitudes to) Simon Jenkins in The Guardian writes some good sense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/04/mobs-egypt-les-miserables-absurd

If US Dlrs 1.3 billion isn't bankrolling,I wonder what is.

On the Egyptian crisis generally (and Western attitudes to) Simon Jenkins in The Guardian writes some good sense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/04/mobs-egypt-les-miserables-absurd

I like Simon Jenkins writings, even though may not agree with all of his points, at least thought provoking. There have been some comments of the mutally beneficial outcomes of US military aid, one I found interesting was the value to the US of access to sea routes via the Suez Canal and diplomatic channels. What would happen if the Eygptians denied access to the Suez for US Navy and commercial shipping bound to the USA? Could go around the Cape but lot greater costs and delays

Edited by simple1

Having read a few political analyst's reports reg. what is going on in egypt, they seem to agree on the following. The president justified all his actions, no matter how much criticism, by saying he was democratically elected by the majority, and he changed the constitution to minimize the powers of the judiciary and checks/balances.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? :-)

Another interesting take on the Egypt crisis.The Arab Spring was about freedom (and capitalism) more than democracy argues Fraser Nelson in the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/10159983/It-is-capitalism-not-democracy-that-the-Arab-world-needs-most.html

That link is an excellent article

I hope so.

Insight - Downfall of Egypt's Brotherhood game-changer in Middle East

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/international/Insight_-_Downfall_of_Egypts_Brotherhood_game-changer_in_Middle_East.html?cid=36369588

Egypt's Brothers won a string of elections including the presidency, making Mursi the country's first democratically elected president. But, like related organisations such as the ruling Ennahda party in Tunisia, they seemed unable to shake off the secretive habits of their past.

Critics say they sought to occupy all the institutions of government and turn them into fortresses for the Brotherhood rather than servants of the nation.

Public repudiation of this approach, followed by the army's ejection of Mursi, makes their collapse look total, and a warning to Islamists across the region.

"It is a disaster. It is a hard blow to the entire Islamist movement," said Fawaz Gerges, Professor of Middle Eastern Politics at the London School of Economics.

"The dismal performance by Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood undermines the Islamist image, standing and narrative throughout the region, in Egypt, in Jordan and even in Turkey. It raises questions about their competence, their ability to manage.

"Everything in Egypt is worse as a result of Mursi's policies," said Gerges. "His authoritarian ways, his economic mismanagement ... clearly they don't have ideas. It is basically an emperor with no clothes. The Islamist movement is naked. This will have major implications for movements in the region."

Edited by Publicus