Tavern By the Sea Ribs

richsilver

Not my idea of a good meal but surely they have been doing this for a long time now?

As for "of course they add 10% service and 7% VAT", there is no "of course" about it as far as I know. The Hilton's prices are always all-inclusive of service and VAT and to do anything else is just a rip-off as far as I'm concerned, designed to make the prices appear lower than they really are.

You cant avoid paying the service and VAT so they should be included in the advertised price.

• Like 1

Thanks RichSilver for a heads up on the good ribs. Appreciate anyones input on where good food is in Pattaya. As for the 17%, that is how it is and mostly likely in the second (grumpy Kitten Kong) poster's country.

Not my idea of a good meal but surely they have been doing this for a long time now?

As for "of course they add 10% service and 7% VAT", there is no "of course" about it as far as I know. The Hilton's prices are always all-inclusive of service and VAT and to do anything else is just a rip-off as far as I'm concerned, designed to make the prices appear lower than they really are.

You cant avoid paying the service and VAT so they should be included in the advertised price.

Agree. The ribs are outstanding. I had the rib special and a pint of Guiness[260bt] and with a 15% discount the bill came to 570bt. If I have known about the ++ I would passed.
  • Like 1

Thanks RichSilver for a heads up on the good ribs. Appreciate anyones input on where good food is in Pattaya. As for the 17%, that is how it is and mostly likely in the second (grumpy Kitten Kong) poster's country.

Why do you label KongKitty "grumpy" when she is just stating a fact that a lot of us happen to agree with? If you advertise a price it should include the mandatory 17% that we all have to pay.

Why do you label KongKitty "grumpy" when she is just stating a fact that a lot of us happen to agree with? If you advertise a price it should include the mandatory 17% that we all have to pay.

When I book a hotel in Bangkok, the price does not always include the tax - same with other purchases. You just assume there could be an added 7-17%. When I am in my homecountry, the tax and service charge (if there is one) is not include on the menu price. When I buy a shirt, the price does not include the city or sales tax...

When I book a hotel in Bangkok, the price does not always include the tax - same with other purchases. You just assume there could be an added 7-17%. When I am in my homecountry, the tax and service charge (if there is one) is not include on the menu price. When I buy a shirt, the price does not include the city or sales tax...

Toenail, If you book with booking.com instead of agoda for hotel than 17% is included with their original price. Just saying lots of places in Thailand are up front about prices. For me a restaurant quote is depending if I eat there or not. I am not talking about menu quote as a lot of them have the 17% added at end of menu but advertised quotes without including the 17% for me is deceptive.

• Like 1

As for the 17%, that is how it is and mostly likely in the second (grumpy Kitten Kong) poster's country.

The point I was trying to make is that this is exactly not "how it is". Some places here try the ++ scam but most don't, even the expensive places. The Hilton is easily on a par with the Tavern by the Sea (in fact I would say that the Hilton beats it hands down) but even so the Hilton always advertises its prices including the ++.

As for what happens in my home country, the inclusion of VAT in advertised prices is mandatory throughout the EU, and everywhere I have been in the EU service charges are either optional or included in the advertised price. I know that the US does very odd things when it comes to tax and service and tips but that isnt a global standard by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 2

Went there last night with a large group of people. A major, major disappointment. I polled most in our group but not all..... those polled said they would not return.

You actually conducted a poll? Ha ha ha.

I gave this place a try on their Indian night and wasn't that impressed. Also the inside is very sterile, no atmosphere at all and I couldn't imagine having a 'night out' in there. Boring as hell.

Went there last night with a large group of people. A major, major disappointment. I polled most in our group but not all..... those polled said they would not return.

I gave this place a try on their Indian night and wasn't that impressed. Also the inside is very sterile, no atmosphere at all and I couldn't imagine having a 'night out' in there. Boring as hell.

They had live music. With a large group it is usually always fun but the majority of people were not enthusiastic about their meal and some were very negative and uncomplementarily.

Bob organises a "dinner club" that goes to various restaurants on an irregular basis. To have a poll in such circumstances seems almost obligatory, at least if you want to get a good idea of what people actually think of the place.

I'm curious as to whether any of your group objected to the ++?

I'm curious as to whether any of your group objected to the ++?

No. We left a little bit more than the 10%, it was a large group, 10 diners. We had no issues with the service. The 15% PCEC discount was applied.