Thaksin: Lost 'face', After His Resignation ?...

LaoPo

Thaksin: lost 'Face', after his resignation ?....

Maybe, but hasn't the so-called oposition also lost face? Didn't they come out, on the whole -- particularly right after the resignation -- looking weak, confused, and indecisive?

Within fifteen minutes of the announcement, Korn was on BBC for the Democrats saying it would be perfectly okay for the PM to come back in the future 'if he is legally elected.'

Zounds!

I think he actually gained some face by putting the country first. It's the most human he's ever looked. Perhaps the people who Taksin let down (the majority of the people) lost some face. But, they're poor, they're used to it.

Good question, I was just wondering the same.

Sadlly I think Brit could be right.

He's damaged goods and a liability. Watch the sharks in his own party start to circle now.

He won't be back.

cv

He won't be back.

With respect....I think he will*; he's a streetfighter.

My thoughts? Within 24 months from now; we'll see,

If I'm wrong I owe you a couple of beers :o

LaoPo

He's damaged goods and a liability. Watch the sharks in his own party start to circle now.

He won't be back.

cv

You have to be joking you do not think he had this all planned out. He don't need the money he likes the power and strange how money buys you power :o

Master plan for the big return.... :D

Thaksin GAINED face last night.

BritMav lost face :o ((and he'll be buying drinks when he gets to Thailand))

Really .... Thaksin lost face over and over during the last few months .... but by falling on his sword in the exact way he did he improved his position last night in the eyes of most people. Hard to lose face when you say---- Paraphrase---- for my King and the people of Thailand I will not return as PM. The King's anniversary is too important to allow this to detract from this important day. I apologize for my part in this ongoing problem and ask the Thai people to forgive me.

He won't be back.

cv

I agree .... but this being Thailand ... if he does it right he could end up being an "elder statesman" ... or even Privy Council member if as short as 5-10 years ... IF he is cleared on his scandals in the upcoming months ... but as for being a face-man for a party again? he's spent his coinage

If Thaksin really goes away then TRT won't survive for very long in its current form. I'm not sure if he's gone for good or not. The important thing is probably how much influence he loses over his party if he's not premier.

I'd say he's probably gained some face from this decision. If any of the protest leaders now manage to find reasons to continue demonstrations it will make Thaksin's standing much higher.

Gained Face - for sure.

Don't forget there's loads of folks in the ' Baan Nook' who like the guy...

Exactly, probably a majority of the country.For all his faults the rural poor have lost a champion in what was effectively a coup by the urban elite.Reading this thread an outsider might gain the impression there was no understanding of the damage done to democracy in Thailand.I can assure you all that the more thoughtful members of the Democrats, Abhisit and Korn in particular, are deeply troubled by the implications of the last few weeks events and the cynical bypassing of the Thai peoples majority will.

Guest endure
Doubtful - Thaskin will pull the strings behind the scenes, TRT will obviously win any election when their are opposition candidates on the poll. I see him coming back next round of elections. :o

I told my Thai friends here in the UK about his resignation and the fact that he still heads TRT. Their reply was that, regardless of the fact that he's no longer PM, nothing has changed. He's still in charge.

> For all his faults the rural poor have lost a champion in what was effectively a coup

> by the urban elite.

Here here.

> Reading this thread an outsider might gain the impression there was no

> understanding of the damage done to democracy in Thailand.I can assure

> you all that the more thoughtful members of the Democrats, Abhisit and

> Korn in particular, are deeply troubled by the implications of the last few

> weeks events and the cynical bypassing of the Thai peoples majority will.

I sincerely hope so. Still, no matter how they truly feel, how do they plan to get back in government? They have errr.. 1.. 2.. . oh, they have no seats! :o

Doubtful - Thaskin will pull the strings behind the scenes, TRT will obviously win any election when their are opposition candidates on the poll. I see him coming back next round of elections. :o

5555 Brit ... you just like being on the losing side (or just winding people up) ... I'll be waiting on that drink

Gained Face - for sure.

Exactly, probably a majority of the country.For all his faults the rural poor have lost a champion in what was effectively a coup by the urban elite.Reading this thread an outsider might gain the impression there was no understanding of the damage done to democracy in Thailand.I can assure you all that the more thoughtful members of the Democrats, Abhisit and Korn in particular, are deeply troubled by the implications of the last few weeks events and the cynical bypassing of the Thai peoples majority will.

Baan Nork (awk)

The Demos knew what they were doing ....

the BKK people just are better informed (more access to information) than other people in the country .... but look where the stoppers were in the election .... they were in the South ... and NOT just in the Muslim south

> For all his faults the rural poor have lost a champion in what was effectively a coup

> by the urban elite.

Here here.

> Reading this thread an outsider might gain the impression there was no

> understanding of the damage done to democracy in Thailand.I can assure

> you all that the more thoughtful members of the Democrats, Abhisit and

> Korn in particular, are deeply troubled by the implications of the last few

> weeks events and the cynical bypassing of the Thai peoples majority will.

I sincerely hope so. Still, no matter how they truly feel, how do they plan to get back in government? They have errr.. 1.. 2.. . oh, they have no seats! :o

I would guess Cabinet level positions to begin with ....

Gained Face - for sure.

Baan Nork (awk)

the BKK people just are better informed (more access to information) than other people in the country .... but look where the stoppers were in the election .... they were in the South ... and NOT just in the Muslim south

Can I please just pick up on one point.It is arrogant nonsense to say that BKK people were better informed than other people in the country.This line of thinking has been used down the ages to argue against giving the vote to the illiterate, uneducated, half educated,poor and even women.It is a thoroughly reactionary argument implying that the opinion of a Bangkok middle class person is somehow worth more in the democratic process than that of an Isaan farmer.It's not.

Gained Face - for sure.

Baan Nork (awk)

Can I please just pick up on one point.It is arrogant nonsense to say that BKK people were better informed than other people in the country.This line of thinking has been used down the ages to argue against giving the vote to the illiterate, uneducated, half educated,poor and even women.It is a thoroughly reactionary argument implying that the opinion of a Bangkok middle class person is somehow worth more in the democratic process than that of an Isaan farmer.It's not.

so you are telling that the BKK people are NOT better informed than the Isaan farmer??? Even they have internet, more newspaper, cable TV???

Come on, that can not be your opinion, or??

And no the middle class persons opinion is not more worth, it might be in many cases the only one. Because many Issan farmer do not have any opinion, they just vote what the head of the village is telling them.....

But that does of course not mean that there aren't a lot of BKK middle class who only watch soap operas and don't know anything while there are also interested farmer. just the percentage is different and the chances to get real informations are different.

Not wanting to reply and fill the page ..... "Informed" means "informed" ... pretty simple!

Did I ever say more valuable in the democratic process? But yes an informed electorate IS important to the process. A man or woman making a choice based upon what they know or believe they know is far more valuable to the process than a man or woman that listens to a village headman or a couple of 100 baht.

This is a great leap forward in Thai Democracy! I am Sooooo! glad this happened and so far happened in a very non-violent way!