motorbike driving test - my own bike?

pete66

In Japan, the national average for passing the motorcycle 'big bike' test is 11 tries,

Yes. It took me three, and I'd riding big motorcycles regularly for ten years. Japanese big bike tests are a bitch.

I failed my first attempt because I got on the bike before I put up the kick stand, and failed my second attempt because I put up the kickstand with my left foot rather than my right foot.

Ha! . . . Still, you take care of all the little things, the big things will take care of themselves. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget your helmet.

And people do fail the theory test.

In my experience in getting a Thai licence, I applied for a motor vehicle licence showing my AUS licence & international licence.

There was NO theory test, only two tests:

(1) For colour blindness

(2) Testing reaction on a simulated brake & acceleration peddles to a red light

They then issued my drivers licence. When I asked about the motor cycle licence which was also on my AUS licence they simply issued a second licence for that (an additional 150B) No driving tests involved. That was at the Buriram transport department.

The first licences are for 1 year, renewals are for 5 years. (do not forget the renewal dates because they will simply be cancelled)

My wife had never had a drivers licence (what Thais do?). I taught her using our own car and a police officer friend of her offered to take her to the test centre (for 1500B). She said that fee covered everything. After the policeman had a chat to the controller of the testing, the friendly controller stood behind her and suggested the correct answers for the multiple choice questions (no practical driving test, although she was quite capable). That was that. Easy.

The moral of this story is: "get to know a friendly cop".

Probably a good idea to keep an eye on the renewal date. But I inadvertantly let mine run over. Anyway I got down there about a month late and (with appropriate embarrassment) confessed my sins. They thought it sort of amusing and gave me my renewal without any problem. But...I wouldn't suggest this as a plan.

Edited by marell

and always remember that it is allowed in thailand to drive a TANK on the public road (actual question the test asked me).

I got that one wrong. And the one asking whether a monk can drive a car. The relevance escapes me.

It is worth getting your licence the day after your birthday. The licence will expire on your first birthday after 5 years have passed, so you're getting six years for the price of five. I don't know whether the same system works in the case of a one year licence.

Another thing, during the license lectures, it was never mentioned at any point in the book or video that Bikes cannot drive on 2n or 3rd lanes, only 1st lane of the left... Yet police always keep stopping me for driving on the middle lane. I always refused to pay anything, I say I have no money with me.

Why not get out of the middle lane. If only because you live longer that way.

However, if you have a western motorcycle license you do not need to take the test on a motorbike at all.

If you don't have a western license then you need to take a test on a motorcycle, IT NEED NOT BE YOUR OWN.. you can borrow a friends or rent one to take to the test centre.

what if you have a thai drivers license for car? can you skip the theory test?

I have a question regarding the Theory test relevant to transportation law regarding pillion riders.

What is the maximum number of pillion riders allowable by the relevant authority? And in theory, are pillion riders required to wear helmets?

(As an aside I have seen as many as three pillion riders on one bike plus a small child, for a total of 5 persons.

Have heard comical anecdotal evidence of more. Surely this is not safe, but illegal, not sure?)

One pillion rider with a helmets is OK. Sometimes in Pattaya they will stop people. Other places it looks like anything goes.

I see, image contrasts reality once again. Sometimes anything does go. One night I think I got lucky. One of those late night things only going a very short distance, had two Japanese girls as pillion riders going south past Thapae. Ran into the police checkpoint in front of MacDonald. Two pillion riders, one driver, the one helmet between us sitting in the basket! So I slow down to take my punishments, and one of the pillion riding chicks jumps off and starts walking (making us look even more suspicious one thinks). Fortunately cops just waved us through.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone NOT passing a Thai driving test...

In Japan, the national average for passing the motorcycle 'big bike' test is 11 tries,

When I sat my motorbike test, only seven out of 21 passed, the rest would come back and do the test again a few days later.

I did the car and motorbike exam on the same day. First successfully completed the car part. They did not have a motorbike available for the test. But if you can drive a car you surely can drive a motorbike?? So no motorbike driving test needed biggrin.png .

You must have bunged the examiner, but seriously, you should not need to pass a motor bike test if you have a driving licence, although there should be some sort of age limit for really powerful bikes. I rode a Honda Dream 250 for years in the UK and never sat a test, and a few months with a car, but then, I was a naughty boy then.

Another thing, during the license lectures, it was never mentioned at any point in the book or video that Bikes cannot drive on 2n or 3rd lanes, only 1st lane of the left... Yet police always keep stopping me for driving on the middle lane. I always refused to pay anything, I say I have no money with me.

Good on you, but you mean to say if you are behind a slow moving truck in the first lane, and there is no room to overtake on the inside ( which you should not do anyway) you should not move to the second lane?

I have a question regarding the Theory test relevant to transportation law regarding pillion riders.

What is the maximum number of pillion riders allowable by the relevant authority? And in theory, are pillion riders required to wear helmets?

(As an aside I have seen as many as three pillion riders on one bike plus a small child, for a total of 5 persons.

Have heard comical anecdotal evidence of more. Surely this is not safe, but illegal, not sure?)

It is illegal, but this is Thailand.

It is worth getting your licence the day after your birthday. The licence will expire on your first birthday after 5 years have passed, so you're getting six years for the price of five. I don't know whether the same system works in the case of a one year licence.

Thats a good point ... I got a new license yesterday in CR. Was only eligible for 12 month but ended up with 5 yrs 11 months. I think the "old style" one year license that expired four or more years ago that I showed them worked the magic.

They made me work for it though ... 3 trips to do colour blind /peripheral, video, written and practical test.

Lunch time is a bitch.

I come 23 years to Thailand have family, children here, live on Non Immigrant O Visas sometime Tourist Visas and extensions for family reasons, since a decade in Thailand most times.

Never needed a Thai License. Even after bigger accidents with Police reports and insurance reports. blink.png

When I was getting my car license they asked me if I wanted a motorcycle license too, so I said, sure. I few hundred baht more and I had both licenses.

Yes, posters often go on about corruption, but it can work in our favour too, and no, I did both my tests the proper way.

Good on you, but you mean to say if you are behind a slow moving truck in the first lane, and there is no room to overtake on the inside ( which you should not do anyway) you should not move to the second lane?

What I mean is that, suppose the road has 3 lanes, sometimes I drive on the middle lane, other times I overtake cars using the 3rd lane (last to the right), which is the correct way to overtake. (if my bike can handle the speed)

I hate driving on the 1st left lane because of cars coming out of nowhere -- typical Thai style, also there are Buses, slow cars, other bikes, and the idiot taxi drives picking customers.

So, The police stop and tell me I cannot ride on the 2nd or 3rd lane, only the 1st one. Which it TOTAL BS to me. No way im taking that. I show my empty wallet saying I have no money, after I waste their time a little, they let me go...

Happened to me at least 6-7 times this year. One time the idiot police took 300 from me... :(

I know the places they like to stay, so I already leave home with the money somewhere else on my bag. If I have to pay anything, It will be a the police station even if it's 1,000 baht.

What I mean is that, suppose the road has 3 lanes, sometimes I drive on the middle lane, other times I overtake cars using the 3rd lane (last to the right), which is the correct way to overtake. (if my bike can handle the speed)

I hate driving on the 1st left lane because of cars coming out of nowhere -- typical Thai style, also there are Buses, slow cars, other bikes, and the idiot taxi drives picking customers.

So, The police stop and tell me I cannot ride on the 2nd or 3rd lane, only the 1st one. Which it TOTAL BS to me. No way im taking that. I show my empty wallet saying I have no money, after I waste their time a little, they let me go...

Happened to me at least 6-7 times this year. One time the idiot police took 300 from me... sad.png

I know the places they like to stay, so I already leave home with the money somewhere else on my bag. If I have to pay anything, It will be a the police station even if it's 1,000 baht.

Every thing you say is 100% true, and well done for the way you handled the BiB. I have never been stopped by the BiB yet, but I am going to carry a wallet in my car with about 20 baht and out of date credit and bank cards. There is always a first time.

By the way, the thing about police stoping you and telling you can only ride on the left lane is a total SCAM by the "Traffic assistants" in brow uniform.

They are not real traffic police, they are only traffic assistants, real traffic police has black uniform and there will be red lights and proper barricade signs.

Do not fall for it! You have to pay absolutely nothing to them, unless you have no license or no helmet, then you deserve to pay it for being idiot. :D

so get your license, wear a helmet and don't pay 1 baht to them.

I found out from several Thai friends.

No need to have a bike, they have there, for a small fee of 50 Baht I think.

I had mine anyway, but i remember they asking me if i wanted to rent the bike there. They have helmets too.

The hardest part: the exam, because it's so tricky and not too easy. It's not hard either, but you need to get 23/30 to pass.

and it's all about car, they teach nothing about bike rules.

My advice: on the lunch break, practice the exam on the simulation machines one floor up or down I cant remember... some red machines.

No need to have a bike, they have there, for a small fee of 50 Baht I think.

Honestly, who's bike would you rather drive. Your own which you are use to driving, or a day-of-the-test rental that you've never ridden. I'd take my own bike every time. If you don't own one, rent one and get used to it and then use it the day of the test. You should just be comfortable with the machine your gonna ride and the test will be a piece of cake! ;) Relax and enjoy.

Happened to me at least 6-7 times this year. One time the idiot police took 300 from me... sad.png

When on my Honda 125, I generally hang out on the shoulder or in lane 1. If the shoulder is obstructed, I'll pass slower moving cars in the lane 2, but I'm not comfortable out there on the Honda 125.

When on my Lifan 250, I move with the car traffic. It's a full frame bike with saddle bags so I look bigger and I take the middle of the lane of whatever lane I'm in. I average 90/kph on the highway, so I drive just like the cars. I'll take whatever lane I need, and then pop back to the "inside" to allow the jerks who insist on driving like idiots blow by at 160kph+.

I've driven by cops while driving on the outside lanes but have never been stopped. Might happen in the future but they won't get any money out of me. I've read the English reversion of the Thai traffic laws and never saw any references to motorcycle having to drive on the shoulder or only in lane 1. All the law says is to move over and yield to faster traffic. How many times have I seen trucks and cars pull onto the highway and move to the far outside lane and drive at 40 to 50 kph with the intent to flip a U-turn at the next intersection a kilometer ahead. Thais seem to have never learned how to merge into traffic considering it requires planning and forethought. But, that's another subject for another day wink.png

Good post, you have got it spot on.

Thanks all, I passed ok. Few problems with the theory test, blurry pictures, bad translations etc, but got through ok.

I've got a Korean friend with an International license and he wants a Thai driving license after seeing mine smile.png

Is it right he doesn't need to do theory test even? Just take along his license, passport, and medical certificate and that's it?

Edited by pete66

Thanks all, I passed ok. Few problems with the theory test, blurry pictures, bad translations etc, but got through ok.

I've got a Korean friend with an International license and he wants a Thai driving license after seeing mine Posted Image

Is it right he doesn't need to do theory test even? Just take along his license, passport, and medical certificate and that's it?

I would like to add my question with this, I already have a thai driving licence for car, do I need to take the theory test for thai motorcycle licence?

When on my Honda 125, I generally hang out on the shoulder or in lane 1. If the shoulder is obstructed, I'll pass slower moving cars in the lane 2, but I'm not comfortable out there on the Honda 125.

When on my Lifan 250, I move with the car traffic. It's a full frame bike with saddle bags so I look bigger and I take the middle of the lane of whatever lane I'm in. I average 90/kph on the highway, so I drive just like the cars. I'll take whatever lane I need, and then pop back to the "inside" to allow the jerks who insist on driving like idiots blow by at 160kph+.

I've driven by cops while driving on the outside lanes but have never been stopped. Might happen in the future but they won't get any money out of me. I've read the English reversion of the Thai traffic laws and never saw any references to motorcycle having to drive on the shoulder or only in lane 1. All the law says is to move over and yield to faster traffic. How many times have I seen trucks and cars pull onto the highway and move to the far outside lane and drive at 40 to 50 kph with the intent to flip a U-turn at the next intersection a kilometer ahead. Thais seem to have never learned how to merge into traffic considering it requires planning and forethought. But, that's another subject for another day wink.png

Good post, you have got it spot on.

Yes, you have it right. There is a Thai traffic law that states "Slow traffic should stay in the left lane" (it was part of the test). So I suppose the police could argue if you have a < 100 cc bike that would be "slow", but honestly, Thai bike riders ride in whatever lane they want and so they should. They have as much right to use the lanes as the road as any other vehicle and have the right to pass slower moving traffic which is the inside lane(s).

If anything they should get done for "traffic weaving" (especially without signalling, but hey, cars weave as well) but certainly not "leaving the inside lane".

For the guy that has been stopped 6-7 times for using an outside lane, I am wondering why they are picking on you? Expensive looking bike? "Open" helmet so they can see you are farang? Not making any judgement, just wondering what is causing the police to go after you like this, especially as you aren't breaking any law ....

Edited by pete66

I've got a Korean friend with an International license and he wants a Thai driving license after seeing mine smile.png

I would like to add my question with this, I already have a thai driving licence for car, do I need to take the theory test for thai motorcycle licence?

No because the test is identical for cars and bikes. Once you've passed, you've passed.

For the guy that has been stopped 6-7 times for using an outside lane, I am wondering why they are picking on you? Expensive looking bike? "Open" helmet so they can see you are farang? Not making any judgement, just wondering what is causing the police to go after you like this, especially as you aren't breaking any law ....

Me too. Have over(and under)taken coppers in the third lane on a plastic pig many a time. I suspect he is riding in lane 2 or 3 when there is no other traffic and they want him to stick to the 'bike lane' (hard shoulder) with the others.

• Like 1

Me too. Have over(and under)taken coppers in the third lane on a plastic pig many a time. I suspect he is riding in lane 2 or 3 when there is no other traffic and they want him to stick to the 'bike lane' (hard shoulder) with the others.

Yeah sure. If there's no other traffic you should be in lane one, same as everyone else. But apart from that, you have the same rights as other road users.

I was on a push bike the other week and a tuk-tuk driver pinged me because I had the audacity to use "the road" instead of the hard shoulder (it wasn't an official cycle lane, they have markings), full of gravel and pot holes. I told him (under my breath) in Thai to go *** ****** - if I was going 5 km/h I could understand but I do the same speed as anyone else in town traffic.

Lots of car drivers think motorbikes are "low", and cyclists even lower. Funny, I think the same about most tuk-tuk drivers tongue.png

If your friend has an Intrnational Driving Licence then he will need his licence, passport, medical certificate and either a certificate of residence or a work permit and he will have to do a colour blindness/reaction test

I took my passport, IDL, national driving licence, medical and work permit with me 2 weeks ago and just had to do the colour blindness test which involved watching a traffic light and calling out the colours as they appeared - any of the 3 colours could appear in any of the 3 positions

Don't forget your helmet.

And people do fail the theory test.

In my experience in getting a Thai licence, I applied for a motor vehicle licence showing my AUS licence & international licence.

There was NO theory test, only two tests:

(1) For colour blindness

(2) Testing reaction on a simulated brake & acceleration peddles to a red light

They then issued my drivers licence. When I asked about the motor cycle licence which was also on my AUS licence they simply issued a second licence for that (an additional 150B) No driving tests involved. That was at the Buriram transport department.

The first licences are for 1 year, renewals are for 5 years. (do not forget the renewal dates because they will simply be cancelled)

My wife had never had a drivers licence (what Thais do?). I taught her using our own car and a police officer friend of her offered to take her to the test centre (for 1500B). She said that fee covered everything. After the policeman had a chat to the controller of the testing, the friendly controller stood behind her and suggested the correct answers for the multiple choice questions (no practical driving test, although she was quite capable). That was that. Easy.

The moral of this story is: "get to know a friendly cop".

So your cool with your "friends" extorting you.