Local car insurance brokers?

KittenKong

I've been in touch with AAInsure and E&I but does anyone have a recommendation for brokers apart from these two?

Preferably English-speaking but not the end of the world if they aren't.

Ideally in the greater Pattaya area but would consider Sri Racha etc. Probably wouldnt want to bother with anyone much further away like Bangkok etc, unless they were stunningly good.

What I expect a broker to do is to ask me questions that might affect my premium and then present me with several choices offering different maximum payouts and premium prices for the same band of cover. But what brokers here seem to do is print out the most expensive quote from just one company and wait for me to ask them if I can get a discount for being a sole driver, having higher excess, declaring a lower vehicle value, accepting non-dealer repairs, having 24/7 security guards about 5 metres from my vehicle etc. etc.

Would also be interested in insurance companies that have a branch in Pattaya and who offer decent cover/prices for insurance with good on-the-ground support throughout the country.

It seems to me that one of the most important aspects of car insurance here is that an agent with a big bail bond cheque should be with you in minutes if some twerp on a motorbike decides to run a red light in order to more closely investigate what's under your vehicle.

i use E & I for all my policies as do many of my friends

i don't ask her to guess what i want, i tell her

then she shops around amongst the basket of companies she represents

she sends 2-3 policy's by email that fit the parameters i asked

i choose one,

simple

I use Surin Insurance in Suksabai Villa for years. It was owned by an elderly Dutch guy, Kees, until he died a few years ago; now his Thai wife, Mam, runs the business and does a very good job. They saved me a bunch on car insurance over the years, including a 50% no-claims bonus, something I was told by other agents doesn't exist in Thailand. Give them a call on 038-300784-6, they speak quite reasonable English.

• Like 1

I use Surin Insurance in Suksabai Villa for years. It was owned by an elderly Dutch guy, Kees, until he died a few years ago; now his Thai wife, Mam, runs the business and does a very good job. They saved me a bunch on car insurance over the years, including a 50% no-claims bonus, something I was told by other agents doesn't exist in Thailand. Give them a call on 038-300784-6, they speak quite reasonable English.

+1 Surin are very good and professional.

I've found MLG on Pattaya Tai to be very good, as have other friends. They're on the outbound (toward Sukhumvit) side. Look for the huge TOA sign on the right. MLG is across the street from that. If you pass the Big C driveway entrance, you've gone too far on Pattaya Tai.

There is another one in Naklua, Sorry do not recall the name of the company, but if you PM have to pass on his personal name and number.

German, but fluent English and better prices than the ones you mentioned

There is another one in Naklua, Sorry do not recall the name of the company, but if you PM have to pass on his personal name and number.

Is that Global-Solidor?

Thanks. Do they do email? I have a lot of trouble hearing/understanding anyone on the phone, regardless of what nationality they are, and so would always prefer email or face-to-face contact.

Edit: I've found an email address and opening hours online.

Edit 2: also did a search for Suksabai Villa and after reading the results I can understand why they have a resident insurance broker! whistling.gif

Edited by KittenKong

I've found MLG on Pattaya Tai to be very good, as have other friends. They're on the outbound (toward Sukhumvit) side. Look for the huge TOA sign on the right. MLG is across the street from that. If you pass the Big C driveway entrance, you've gone too far on Pattaya Tai.

Will try them also. Thanks.

Is that Global-Solidor?

Hmmm could be if the owners name is Reiner

For what it's worth I finally went with Surin Insurance.

I contacted 7 brokers in total, with results as follows.

No reply at all apart from the initial "we have received your enquiry and will get back to you soon": 2

Quotes issued for the most expensive cover. No more quotes forthcoming when asked about optional reductions (excess, sole driver): 2

Flat refusal to apply no-claims discount of current Thai insurance as "not possible in Thailand": 1

Various quotes issued with various discounts, entirely based on me specifically asking/suggesting the discount : 2

Suggested ways of reducing the price of the premium without me asking: 0

Highest price quoted (no discounts proposed): 22,000B

Lowest price quoted (from the same insurance company for the same cover, with discounts requested by me): 13,500B

So I put insurance brokers pretty much on a par with real estate agents.

• Like 1

Can we have some clear directions to Surin Insurance please, they deserve more business if they are proactive with policy suggestions & are price conscience. I have used the perhaps most popular near Big C & have always had to suggest other options to them. The staff are just there as postal clerks & to answer the phone I fear, not helpful at all..

Edited by ROBINPATTAYA

For what it's worth I finally went with Surin Insurance.

I contacted 7 brokers in total, with results as follows.

No reply at all apart from the initial "we have received your enquiry and will get back to you soon": 2

Quotes issued for the most expensive cover. No more quotes forthcoming when asked about optional reductions (excess, sole driver): 2

Flat refusal to apply no-claims discount of current Thai insurance as "not possible in Thailand": 1

Various quotes issued with various discounts, entirely based on me specifically asking/suggesting the discount : 2

Suggested ways of reducing the price of the premium without me asking: 0

Highest price quoted (no discounts proposed): 22,000B

Lowest price quoted (from the same insurance company for the same cover, with discounts requested by me): 13,500B

So I put insurance brokers pretty much on a par with real estate agents.

As brokers of anything are basically middlemen, do you actually save money when purchasing through them vs. buying direct from the company?

All the major Thai auto I insurers have offices in Pattaya, with decent English speaking staff and English language policies and brochures. Did you investigate if that 13k price can be had if bought direct?

I avoid these Thai/Isaan companies. They have a reputation for poop customer support. If you have an accident you must use their shop to do the repairs and parts are Chinese knock-offs. As a foreigner you should also a minimum 2M baht bail bond.

As brokers of anything are basically middlemen, do you actually save money when purchasing through them vs. buying direct from the company?

All the major Thai auto I insurers have offices in Pattaya, with decent English speaking staff and English language policies and brochures. Did you investigate if that 13k price can be had if bought direct?

The theoretical advantage of using a broker is that they can provide different quotes from different companies using the same data without having to travel to different offices. Then one can compare the cover and prices and decide.

A broker should not be any cheaper or more expensive than buying direct from the company as they are paid by commission. However I did find that some brokers werent very good at working out the cheapest prices and getting low quotes.

Personally I couldnt be bothered to drive over to Naklua to see if the company could/would offer me the same price or slightly better in person. The broker did the work pleasantly and competently, and so deserves their cut.

I avoid these Thai/Isaan companies. They have a reputation for poop customer support. If you have an accident you must use their shop to do the repairs and parts are Chinese knock-offs. As a foreigner you should also a minimum 2M baht bail bond.

The broker may be Thai/Isaan but the company is not (big multinational present in 57 countries with 102 million clients).

I paid a couple of thousand Baht extra on my cover to get dealer repairs. I could have opted for insurer repairs and saved that sum on the premium.

None of the 10 quotes I got (including the most expensive ones) had more than 300K for bail bond, and everyone I asked seem to think that this was normal.

The broker may be Thai/Isaan but the company is not (big multinational present in 57 countries with 102 million clients).

I paid a couple of thousand Baht extra on my cover to get dealer repairs. I could have opted for insurer repairs and saved that sum on the premium.

None of the 10 quotes I got (including the most expensive ones) had more than 300K for bail bond, and everyone I asked seem to think that this was normal.

And what makes you think it is not normal ?

I have been using AAA Insurance brokers for many years (6+). They are next to

Big C (south pattaya), the little soi next to Big C.

All the ladies speak very good English and are reasonable knowledgeable. Always

email me to remind me when my insurance expires and always offer several deal

to chose from.... (that's car insurance).

3 weeks ago got travel insurance for my g/f from them as well.

Always been happy with them ...

luudee

PS: last time as I was due for renewal, I stopped by the AXA insurance office my

self and got a quote, AAA got me the same deal about 5% cheaper.

The theoretical advantage of using a broker is that they can provide different quotes from different companies using the same data without having to travel to different offices. Then one can compare the cover and prices and decide.

A broker should not be any cheaper or more expensive than buying direct from the company as they are paid by commission. However I did find that some brokers werent very good at working out the cheapest prices and getting low quotes.

Personally I couldnt be bothered to drive over to Naklua to see if the company could/would offer me the same price or slightly better in person. The broker did the work pleasantly and competently, and so deserves their cut.

The range in the quotes for the same coverage from the various brokers is what surprised me. Some must be either very incompetent or looking to harpoon a whale with a fat policy markup. But thanks for the interesting info...my auto policy expires end this month so may give Surin a go.

Always confusion over Bail Bond requirements. As a rule of thumb :

Thais 100,000 Baht

Foreigners 200,000 Baht

Have to say it makes me smile when I see some (bike) policies going through with several millions of Baht for the Bail Bond – not sure what one would have to do on a bike for that !

• Like 1