Phuket Town bicycle patrol rolls out

Lite Beer

Phuket Town bicycle patrol rolls out
Jody Houton

PHUKET: Members from the two Phuket Town Safety Zone groups joined together today to officially launch the Phuket Town Safety Zone Cycle Patrol, with the aim of reducing crime in the area.

Leader of the Sino-Portuguese Safety Zone Phalat Juntarasopin explained how the project came about, “There are more and more people coming to Phuket to live and work, but there are not enough police officers to keep Phuket safe. This is just our way of helping.”

At 4pm, around one hundred volunteers, members of the Safety Zone Groups, police officers and local politicians turned out to see the orange-clad volunteers take to their wheels of steel to begin their first patrol.

Also in attendance as Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos, who told The Phuket News that he has plans to role out a similar project in Rawai and Nai Harn by the end of July.

Twelve of the bikes, and all of the uniforms, were donated by the Phuket Town Rotary Club, while the rest belong to Phuket Old Town committee.

Sivarin Phaothong-ngarn, a member of committee, was one Phuket Town-business owner who was part of the first patrol, “We’ve asked for CCTV cameras in the Phuket Old Town and for other ways of reducing crime, but things move slowly and decisions are made slowly in Phuket. I am doing this to help,” he says with a smile.

Although Sivarin is one of around 30 members who will be taking part in regular patrols he has not as of yet been given his working hours, this is still being worked out by Mr Phalat.

“There will be two daily patrols. One in the morning, from 6-8am and the other in the evening, from 6pm to midnight.”

The route of the daily patrols will include Phang Nga Road, Ratsada Road, Thalang Road, Yaowarat Road, Phuket Road and Thepkasattri.

Anybody who wishes to get involved are welcome to drop by Markinny Mate restaurant, located on Phuket Road in Phuket Town for more information. Just ask for Sivarin.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-town-bicycle-patrol-rolls-out-40706.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-07-07

Bike Vigilantes? I wonder why the Phuket police don't use bicycles themselves. Probably a 'status' thing and can't chase a motorbike. San Francisco International (SFO) employs armed, bicycle police. Practical, fast, stealthy and cost-effective.

I can't help wondering what these Phuket Bike Vigilantes are going to do when/if they apprehend someone? Probably they are unarmed and untrained with mobile phone links for communication. Still, it's better than nothing. Maybe Phuket Bike Patrol would be more descriptive.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

It always amazes me in a country where foreigners are basically disliked except for their money and every obstacle is put in their way by the authorities in the way of visa regulations and permits that these ''volunteers'' jump in to do the crap work for the corrupt cops. This of course leaves the Thai keystone cops free to hastle and shake down bar and business owners while volunteers do the proper job.I often wonder what compensation a volunteer would get if badly hurt by a criminal.