Spectcular restaurant in Bangkok?

Captor

Hi

I would like to take my gf to a nice spectacular restaurant in Bangkok. I was thinking of some rooftop restaurant/bar maybe.

Maybe stay at the hotel as well.

Anyone have some tip for me? It will take place in end of july/beginning of august.

But it has not to be a rooftop restaurant. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

Or maybe Hua Hin. We stay in Ratchaburi so we are in between. The food is not the primary. Primary is the view.

Thanks in advance.

Captor

Well that is for rooftop.

For quality go to Zuma at the St Regis hotel.

NBut Banyan is not the highest, right? But I assume it is best because you recommend it?

And Zuma I have never her about. Thanks a lot! I will google on theese two.

NBut Banyan is not the highest, right? But I assume it is best because you recommend it?

To be honest mate I would take her for early drinks at Vertigo....maybe 6-7 pm...then hop in a taxi to La Monita for tacos.

But that is just me....the price at Vertigo will be more than I would like for the quality of food.

If you really want to shell out big bucks then Zuma is the real deal.

Muse hotel at Langsuan has a nice rooftop bar, as does above 11 on soi 11 in Sukhumvit. Also the rooftop bar at Lebua State hotel. They all do food but I have only eaten at above 11 myself so can't really comment on the food situation. Above 11 food was nice

To be honest mate I would take her for early drinks at Vertigo....maybe 6-7 pm...then hop in a taxi to La Monita for tacos.

But that is just me....the price at Vertigo will be more than I would like for the quality of food.

If you really want to shell out big bucks then Zuma is the real deal.

Hi, That´s a good idea! She like tacos for sure sothat would be great.

About Vertigo, can we come in there without dressing up?

Muse hotel at Langsuan has a nice rooftop bar, as does above 11 on soi 11 in Sukhumvit. Also the rooftop bar at Lebua State hotel. They all do food but I have only eaten at above 11 myself so can't really comment on the food situation. Above 11 food was nice

Wow! That looks nice Hotel Muse! A little bit costy though for a stay there.

Lebua looks nice as well.

I think it will be Vertigo to start with. Is it possible to go there without staying at the hotel? For just a couple of drinks?

Yes....you will need to wear shoes though. No flip flops or casual football type stuff.

I think it will be Vertigo to start with. Is it possible to go there without staying at the hotel? For just a couple of drinks?

Yes....you will need to wear shoes though. No flip flops or casual football type stuff.

OK, fair enough. Thanks. And then of to La Monita sounds to be a good choice.

From Vertigo to La Monita, Isn't that going a bit downhill for a special evening.

The food in L M is good, but the rest is nothing special.........rolleyes.gif

What about The Hemingway in Suk soi 14...smile.png

From Vertigo to La Monita, Isn't that going a bit downhill for a special evening.

The food in L M is good, but the rest is nothing special.........rolleyes.gif

What about The Hemingway in Suk soi 14...smile.png

Hi, I do not know anything about La Monita. They do not show so much on the webpage. The Hemingway maybe is an option.

However, maybe it is enough with one spectacular thing that day :-) And then I save Hemingway for next time. My girlfriend like Mexaican food and I think she looks more into that than

the surrounding in the restaurant. I have even ended up with cooking mexican food at her home by self because she wanted to eat that and no restaurang in Ratchaburi. So I think she

will like it. She is not so fuzzy about the suroundings. But I thnak you for the Hemingway tip!

Another nice food is Indian. If you have any tip about that I would appreciate that to. For another occasion. The best I have try so far was opposite of the Swedish Embassy. I don´t

know the name though. In Hua Hin I have try some but there were not so good at all. Anyway, all tips are appreciated what so ever. Thanks guys!

Love it, OP asking for SPECTACULAR, and La Monita is the suggestions........crazy.....

As for Muse, the speakeasy up top is nice, and Medici down below is pretty good, they even have opera singers performing throughout the dining room at certain times.

I like Long Table, they have my favorite beer but unless she is a well off thai person I doubt it would be interesting beside the view.

I like the restaurant on top of the Siam@Siam. Great steaks and food. Took a Thai acquaintance there and she loved it. There are Thai women with an education and a taste for the finer things in life though I get a feeling that many TV posters have never met them....

Agree with the above.

Vertigo for drinks, then somewhere else to eat. When we don't feel like travelling far, we just drop next door for a (cheap but good) wood-fired pizza beside the pool at the Sukhothai hotel.

Otherwise, Longtable or The Roof @siam for a drink and hang around to eat.

You mentioned Indian, some good places but not many that fall into the spectacular category for atmosphere; Face on Sukhumvit 38 has a great bar and an Indian restaurant called Hazara with amazing interiors.

Agree with the above.

Vertigo for drinks, then somewhere else to eat. When we don't feel like travelling far, we just drop next door for a (cheap but good) wood-fired pizza beside the pool at the Sukhothai hotel.

You mentioned Indian, some good places but not many that fall into the spectacular category for atmosphere; Face on Sukhumvit 38 has a great bar and an Indian restaurant called Hazara with amazing interiors.

As suggested, first drinks at Vertigo. Seating is limited, so I suggest that you arrive before 7:00. Then head to the Oriental Hotel and eat at/on The Verandah. This assumes/requires that it is not raining, since both places are al fresco. The Verandah is surprisingly afforable (not "cheap") for the food quality, service and ambiance. Great combination for a special evening.

For Indian food go to the Rang Mahal on the top floor of the Rembrandt hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 18.

Best value Sunday lunch buffet at 850 Baht.

Rang Mahal? Never heard about that. Thanks! I will keep that in mind and try out for sure.

Agree with the above.

Jasun, here you come up with some more suggestions. Nice! I will look into them as well. Some say the La Monita is nothing else than the food. OK, fair enough. Can save that pure food experience for the day after for example. Both pizza next door and Hazara sounds promicing. Have to check webpages and distance.

In addition to the good suggestions here for the 'usual suspects' of Long Table, Vertigo, Scirocco, Above 11 .... I can suggest a few different places if you want something a bit more informal.

The Continent Hotel (Asoke junction with an entrance just off Sukumvit) has a nice small rooftop restaurant with great views and a private dining room and it's good value too (especially the Sunday Buffet). As it's close to Terminal 21 you can also do some shopping and taking photos of the Sumo/London Bus/Golden Gate/Geisha etc etc

For even more informal - the Outback Steakhouse (no sniggering please - they do good pasta) in the Siam Centre has really nice cities views from the window tables at the end of the restaurant.

I think Bayoke 2 Sky Restaurant is the tallest - but the food is very average.

Zense on top of Zen Department Store in Central World is another nice roof top restaurant - food is average and service slow - but the outdoor rooftop bar has fantastic views in three directions and they do nice bar snacks.

Red Sky on top of the Centara Grand Hotel (also Central World) has great views but it's a bit stuffy and food is only OK for the price.

A riverside restaurant and hotel is also worth considering? Asiatique is fun for restaurants and the riverside hotels range from an Ibis to the Oriental.

To the OP Captor ... do you realise that some of the suggestions above will cost you better then 5,000 Baht for the meal ... some suggestions maybe nudging 10,000 Baht, depending on what you choose and drink.

sirocco.jpg

Sirocco ... for those who have never seen it.

What budget did you have in mind?

BTW ... Pattaya Hill at twilight, Thermos of Hot Water, 2 packets of MAMA noodles ... I'm such a romantic ... rolleyes.gif

post-104736-0-61382900-1373620575_thumb.

Oh ... don't forget the spoons ... those noodles can get hot when you have to eat them with your fingers.

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

Surely the view from scirocco takes some beating, although the wallet would also take a beating. Any of the restaurants in the mandarin oriental hotel are superb. Lord Jims is my favourite, just make sure you get a window seat for the best river views. Enjoy

I have been to Vertigo twice for dinner. The food is very good but probably not the best in BKK. You arrive just before sunset and watch the sun go down. It is truly beautiful. Both times we had the degustation menu, 5 or 6 courses with different wines for each course. I did not look at the full list of courses on one visit and when I didn't eat that course the waiter was over in a minute asking if there was a problem. No problem I said I just don't like it. Was then asked if I would like what my wife was eating (scallops). I said okay and it was served in about 15 minutes at no extra cost. My wife (Thai) loved it but she has lived overseas for 12 years before coming back to Thailand so has an international taste. Only down side of this beautiful evening is the bill. You will be lucky to get out of it for under 10,000 - 12,000 Baht but you do get a free photo. Otherwise it's all good!

• Like 1

Forget Red Sky, ridiculously over priced for the quality and the experience.

Sirocco at Lebua State Tower, is even more over priced but the view is better...

I like The Speakeasy and Medici at The Muse, the food is great quality and reasonably priced. I'd have dinner first and then head up to The Speakeasy.

The Verandah at The Oriental is a good choice, it's not entirely Al Fresco (as mentioned earlier) so even if raining there is seating indoors. But surprisingly price of the food goes in favor of the food and not the view. Bamboo Bar is nice to chill out as well with a quaint resident jazz singer in the evenings.

Peninsula - on the other side of the river is an old favorite as well it's been a few years though, but their riverside restaurant and bar offer an excellent view of Bangkok and the river.

Hilton also has a great restaurant as well, 360 is a great place to offering the same as The Peninsula but higher up and indoors, so you don't get the smells and thus not the full experience.

Park Society at So Sofitel is also a candidate, drinks there then dinner at Red Oven offers great views over Lumpini Park and outdoor rooftop drinking.

Panorama at Crowne Plaza is also a bit of a dark horse in my book, the food is surprisingly good for a South American inspired. The ribs are definitely worth it! The drinking side of things is a bit on the expensive side in my opinion.

Although I don't rate any of their restaurants, they do represent excellent value - if you're a member of their frequent stay program. The Starwood (Sheraton Grande, W, Plaza Athénée - great if you want to rub shoulders with members of the governing family - Westin Grande, Royal Orchid Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton and the aLoft hotels) all offer their SPG members varying discounts in their outlets.

Have a look at the 'BK Magazine Top Tables 2013' for a list of excellent dining experiences...