Spectcular restaurant in Bangkok?

Captor

In addition to the good suggestions here for the 'usual suspects' of Long Table, Vertigo, Scirocco, Above 11 .... I can suggest a few different places if you want something a bit more informal.

The Continent Hotel (Asoke junction with an entrance just off Sukumvit) has a nice small rooftop restaurant with great views and a private dining room and it's good value too (especially the Sunday Buffet). As it's close to Terminal 21 you can also do some shopping and taking photos of the Sumo/London Bus/Golden Gate/Geisha etc etc

For even more informal - the Outback Steakhouse (no sniggering please - they do good pasta) in the Siam Centre has really nice cities views from the window tables at the end of the restaurant.

I think Bayoke 2 Sky Restaurant is the tallest - but the food is very average.

Zense on top of Zen Department Store in Central World is another nice roof top restaurant - food is average and service slow - but the outdoor rooftop bar has fantastic views in three directions and they do nice bar snacks.

Red Sky on top of the Centara Grand Hotel (also Central World) has great views but it's a bit stuffy and food is only OK for the price.

A riverside restaurant and hotel is also worth considering? Asiatique is fun for restaurants and the riverside hotels range from an Ibis to the Oriental.

Hi Familyonthe move

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Wow, I think I will have to stay in BKK for 2 weeks :-)

I really appreciate the tips. We are in BKK from time to time (live in Ratchaburi) and it is always fun to try out different places. I will for sure try them!

I believe you are right about Bayoke about food is average. My girlfriend is very interesting in good food so i think we do not go there, at least not now.

The Cntinental, is that sitting outdoor on the roof? I would prefer that and not inside.

To the OP Captor ... do you realise that some of the suggestions above will cost you better then 5,000 Baht for the meal ... some suggestions maybe nudging 10,000 Baht, depending on what you choose and drink.

sirocco.jpg

Sirocco ... for those who have never seen it.

What budget did you have in mind?

BTW ... Pattaya Hill at twilight, Thermos of Hot Water, 2 packets of MAMA noodles ... I'm such a romantic ... rolleyes.gif

attachicon.gifPattaya Twilight.jpg

Oh ... don't forget the spoons ... those noodles can get hot when you have to eat them with your fingers.

Hi, no I wasn,t aware of the prices. That sound a bit costy yes. Maybe better find something less costy and informal then :-)

Can use that money for other, more important thins. Thanks.

In addition to the good suggestions here for the 'usual suspects' of Long Table, Vertigo, Scirocco, Above 11 .... I can suggest a few different places if you want something a bit more informal.

The Continent Hotel (Asoke junction with an entrance just off Sukumvit) has a nice small rooftop restaurant with great views and a private dining room and it's good value too (especially the Sunday Buffet). As it's close to Terminal 21 you can also do some shopping and taking photos of the Sumo/London Bus/Golden Gate/Geisha etc etc

For even more informal - the Outback Steakhouse (no sniggering please - they do good pasta) in the Siam Centre has really nice cities views from the window tables at the end of the restaurant.

I think Bayoke 2 Sky Restaurant is the tallest - but the food is very average.

Zense on top of Zen Department Store in Central World is another nice roof top restaurant - food is average and service slow - but the outdoor rooftop bar has fantastic views in three directions and they do nice bar snacks.

Red Sky on top of the Centara Grand Hotel (also Central World) has great views but it's a bit stuffy and food is only OK for the price.

A riverside restaurant and hotel is also worth considering? Asiatique is fun for restaurants and the riverside hotels range from an Ibis to the Oriental.

Hi Familyonthe move

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Wow, I think I will have to stay in BKK for 2 weeks :-)

I really appreciate the tips. We are in BKK from time to time (live in Ratchaburi) and it is always fun to try out different places. I will for sure try them!

I believe you are right about Bayoke about food is average. My girlfriend is very interesting in good food so i think we do not go there, at least not now.

The Cntinental, is that sitting outdoor on the roof? I would prefer that and not inside.

The Continent at Asoke junction is an inside restaurant but there's large windows on three sides.

The Long Table has an outside bar.

For views, external seating and nice bar food I'd go for the Zense Bar on top of Zen at Central World. For outside eating, amazing views and good (but expensive) restaurant food then Vertigo at the Banyan tree is good and so is Scirocco - others have mentioned these too - but they are quite expensive.

I love love love Thai food, and for somewhere romantic & nice on occasions I like these places, they are all independant restaurants and not inside hotels (except Salathip):

Issaya Siamese

Baan Khanitha

Ruen Mallika

Face

Lan Na Thai

Bo.Lan (I found food here a bit 'strange' though, but in a good way)

Salathip (Shangri La hotel)

I'm sure there are endless of other choices for high-end restaurants in BKK

And then I also like to dress up coming to places like these, you know, maybe it's just a woman thing, but I feel more feminine, sensual & 'spoiled' like that :-) Enjoy a great time with your gf.

I love love love Thai food, and for somewhere romantic & nice on occasions I like these places, they are all independant restaurants and not inside hotels (except Salathip):

Issaya Siamese

Baan Khanitha

Ruen Mallika

Face

Lan Na Thai

Bo.Lan (I found food here a bit 'strange' though, but in a good way)

Salathip (Shangri La hotel)

I'm sure there are endless of other choices for high-end restaurants in BKK

And then I also like to dress up coming to places like these, you know, maybe it's just a woman thing, but I feel more feminine, sensual & 'spoiled' like that :-) Enjoy a great time with your gf.

Good point about dressing up. Thanks a lot, Kiwivn.

i went to the one at the dome

i think there are two one with the doors onto the large patio and the larger restaurant which also can use the same patio

it was about 8 years ago and the bill was just under 14k

it had mostly japanese tourists i think they promote extensively to that market a sprinkling of a few wealth thais and a few expats

food incredibly overpriced service good and i dont think i will ever go back just too many choices in a great city

i would think 5 k would be the price but 14 k for basically a windy vantage point on a patio and good food is just too touristy for my liking

Edited by humbug

What does the OP want?

A "spectacular" tourist trap that'll cost a fortune or a "very nice" Thai restaurant that "normal" Thai people actually go too?

By all means have a drink at Lebua or Banyan Tree...but eat there? You'd be crazy.

Perhaps try both of these restaurants for less than the price of one of the others:

If you don't mind the sound of airplanes...

http://www.kohlantarestaurant.com/history/

Turn up in your BMW:

https://www.facebook.com/WatersideKaraoke

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d2624382-Reviews-Waterside_Resort_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

Both have great, "cheap" food in a very nice setting.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Hua Plee restaurant around the beginning of Lad Phrao rd - 16/74 soi Tong Lor (quite deep in the soi) is very atmospheric short of thai vintage and romantic. Its not easy to find though but definitely worth it.

I say: why not take your bird to a B10000 luxury dinner sometime. I will. Sirocco looks amazing. It will be a moment to remember.

Because it's a freakin' tourist trap :P

Though at least it's one price for everyone; be they farang or Thai hahaha :P

• Like 2

Something else to consider is an evening cruise on one of the better boats. Not a thai buffet but a good a la carte boat. We have been a couple of times and it is a good experience. Sure you don't get the high rise view yet the view is pretty good.