Yard / Garage sales?

Nautilus05

Planning a move soon, and have a house full of things to get rid of. Just the standard stuff -- furniture, couple TVs, tables, couple wardrobes, kitchen stuff, etc.

I'm just curious, are garage / yard sales common in Thailand? After several years of living here, I can't remember ever seeing one? Just move everything out front of the house, put price tags on it, and some signs around the area letting people know there's a yard sale going on that day / weekend.

Is this done in Thailand? Or is everyone going to think I'm a crazy person if I do that?

I have never seen anything resembling a yard sale in Thailand, most 2nd hand items are sold at a few stores asking for an almost new price (it is best to buy a product new)

If I was thinking about selling items I would do so in the classified section of this forum or purchase a spot at your local week end market and try to sell your items there,

Good Luck

Cheers:smile.png

take photos of all the stuff individually and put them on an upload site like Flickr

then post an add on the many free websites in Thailand listing whats for sale.the price and your location then ask anyone whose interested to email u for the link to the pics

I have never seen one here, but I know many years ago a friend took his wife to America and she fell in love with them so they might work here.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

indeed a good place for thais to meet and make new friends is at car boot sales as we call them in the u.k.

Be warned though...once they've been to one they get hooked.

Ccc

Depending on where you live and how much traffic goes by.....did same thing once....put it all out on the driveway so easy to see...put prices on everything and big sign in Thai....everything was gone in a couple of hours...of course I did make the prices very attractive and I suspect a few of the first buyers who bought a lot of stuff maybe resold it later but who cares....

not sure why thais don't seem to do same thing but just don't see it like in usa ....but it can work....

• Like 1

Depending on where you live and how much traffic goes by.....did same thing once....put it all out on the driveway so easy to see...put prices on everything and big sign in Thai....everything was gone in a couple of hours...of course I did make the prices very attractive and I suspect a few of the first buyers who bought a lot of stuff maybe resold it later but who cares....

not sure why thais don't seem to do same thing but just don't see it like in usa ....but it can work....

Awesome, thanks! So crazy person option it is! :)

Then whatever doesn't get sold that day, I'll just put a "for free" sign on it, and I'm sure it'll magically disappear.

Awesome, thanks! So crazy person option it is! smile.png

Then whatever doesn't get sold that day, I'll just put a "for free" sign on it, and I'm sure it'll magically disappear.

I suspect if you put a FREE sign out you might have to hire someone to direct traffic....good luck...hope it all gets sold quickly for you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I asked my Thai wife if we could do this and she said "do I want strange people coming into our home and seeing what we have?" I then asked her if she would put it all in the back of our pick up and sell it at the side of the road. She just looked at me in disgust and never replied. Guess I'm stuck with a load of junk until I get a work permit to sit at the side of the road and sell it myself. LOL

• Like 1

What age are some of you living in? Thousands of used items are bought and sold each and every day in Thailand. It's called Facebook! There are dozens and dozens of different Facebook user groups for almost every city in Thailand. Some real bargains to be found. Many items are bought and sold within an hour of being posted.We have found some amazing deals there.

The CMCC that JimShortz mentioned is O.K. but I've never found anything worthwhile at any of the yard sales; mostly religious books, cheap plastic items you can find in any Thai plastic shop, and used baby clothes.

We have also found some great deals right here on TV classifieds.

What age are some of you living in? Thousands of used items are bought and sold each and every day in Thailand. It's called Facebook! There are dozens and dozens of different Facebook user groups for almost every city in Thailand. Some real bargains to be found. Many items are bought and sold within an hour of being posted.We have found some amazing deals there.

Yes, because spending days on Facebook to sell dishes for 5 baht, a toaster for 50 baht, toaster oven for 500 baht, TV for say 2000 baht, and so on.... just sounds like so much fun. smile.png

I think a yard sale is a better and easier way to go. It's all gone in a day. What isn't gone, get's a "for free" sign put on it. If anything is still left after another 24 hours, it gets thrown in the commercial dumpster I'll have sitting in front of my house. Got quite a bit of stuff I can't sell in that house too.

Edited by Nautilus05

The CMCC that JimShortz mentioned is O.K. but I've never found anything worthwhile at any of the yard sales; mostly religious books, cheap plastic items you can find in any Thai plastic shop, and used baby clothes.

We have also found some great deals right here on TV classifieds.

Got a link to the Pattaya FB page ?

Up here in Isaan / Kalasin, a friend was returning to the States and wanted to clear out all of his "Stuff" quickly... All the "Thai Wife's" said "can not do", but he just put the stuff out, put up a few signs in Thai saying "Used Sale", and it was all gone within a few hours... And most of the stuff sold at the listed prices rather than the "Discounted" prices he really wanted to get... Mostly purchased by the Thai neighbors...

Pianoman

It's amazing how popular thrift stores are in America now; sign of the times. $40 shirts (if dumb enough to buy them new at some over-priced retail store) now $4. I even found a new jacket (well, had tags and seemed new) for $5 and it sells online for $65. clothes are actually cheaper in USA than CM, and much better quality. my experience, anyhow.

oh, back to the topic. I would actually take some items with you when you walk around and simply ask people if they want to buy them. sure, 1 out of 10 will say you need permit and blah blah; however, i'm sure you can find people who have some baht to spare. try guest houses, etc..

if items to large, try showing people pictures and ask them if they are interested. once again, owners of guesthouses might need a cheap tv, furniture, etc...

good luck