A trekking backpack for touring ?

DrAzTiK

Hello everybody

I am planning to make my first roadtrip with my girlfriend on my new bike RkV200. Even for 4 or 5 days, I think a decent backpack is mandatory..

I have seen a lot of good backpack brands here in Chiang Mai but mostly they are trekking/travel/hiking oriented. I am speaking about some backpacks brands like Deteur or Osprey.

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/

Do you think this kind of bags can also be adapted for touring ?

Edited by DrAzTiK

I would prefer a rear carrier with a "ocean pack" strapped on it and a tank bag. I don't like the idea of having a backpack on the bike. But with pillion a backpack may be handy.

The Deuter has too many straps that will be fluttering in the wind. May be very annoying. For touring with a bike i would prefer a more simple backpack which would also be cheaper. Or a "real bike backpack" like the Kriega. I don't know them but i guess they will be much better suited for riding.

I also like the Kriega stuff- it's available at Panda Rider- it's not cheap (in fact, it's fairly expensive, but it will last many years), but it's made to accept a Forcefield CE level-2 back protector (also,sold at Panda)- I've got a couple of their dry-packs and am very happy with the quality.

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Kriega.htm

Edited by RubberSideDown

I use a small pack which I slide the straps under the seat and then shut it holding in place but then no room for rider. I think you need to figure how much junk you will be taking. Then you can figure the size of the bag.

dont make your gf carry a heavy ass back pack, get a rack.

Agreed.

Imagine how heavy that pack will be with clothes for 4-5 days for both of you, and she is carrying it. She will not be a happy bunny. Get a rear rack and a tank bag.

My ex used to carry a small backpack on our journeys, it was ok for short trips but for long trips I had a large pack that she would wear but she could rest it on the area behind the rear seat(CBR) so the weight wasn't an issue. On one trip i hurt my hand and couldn't ride, so she rode the remaining distance home. As I'm taller than her I couldn't rest the big pack on the back and after a while, the weight was a nightmare.

Edited by macknife

A high-end backpack is made to evenly distribute weight across your back/body when when it's carried, greatly reducing stress- motorcycle-specific backpacks also take into consideration the body positions of riders/passengers- you have to pay for this feature, but it's worth it.

Buy the right tool for the job.

Why not get a tank bag?

Honda do this one for around 900b.

tankbagonbike-282ba477.jpg

Pay more (as budget doesn't seem to be an issue) and get a better quality one.

crsaddlebags have a few on their site.

Edited by Salapoo

3-4 days...1 extra pants and 2 shirts are enough...ride dirty (change underwear though)..wash clothes by hand in the evening, itll be dry by the next morning...

bring bungy cord for clothesline...no need to bring the whole wardrobe. wink.png

Actually my first trip is not going to be very long : 3-4 hours a day for 3-4 days. I am not goint to take so much stuff but I will think about a rack.

ty wink.png

3-4 hours with a backpack on your girlfriends back, trust me she will not be happy. Get a rack.