Ramadan begins tomorrow in Phuket

webfact

Ramadan begins tomorrow in Phuket

1373342385_1.jpg
The new moon could not be sighted yesterday. Photo: Brian Robert Marshall

PHUKET: -- Ramadan in Thailand will begin tomorrow (July 10), the office of the Chularatchamontri announced today.

The announcement said that experts failed in attempts to spot the new moon after sunset yesterday.

According to the Quran, Ramadan begins upon sighting of a new moon. If it is not seen on the evening expected, Ramadan is automatically delayed by one day.

The Chularatchamontri, also known as Sheikhul Islam, is the spiritual leader of all Thai Muslims. Declaring the start of the month of Ramadan is one of his duties.

In a statement posted to his website Monday, the Chularatchamontri urged the government to take the opportunity in the coming month to act in the southern provinces.

He requested Muslim officials and officers in the deep South be allowed time to relax during the fast, and to attend ceremonies at mosques. Training seminars should be avoided, he said.

Because Ramadan begins on Wednesday, the Eid al-Fitr celebration marking the end of the 30-day fasting period will be on August 9.

During Ramadan, Muslims are forbidden to eat, drink, smoke or have sex during daylight hours.

The daily fast is traditionally begun with prayers and a large breakfast before dawn, and broken with prayers and dinner after sunset.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-07-09

Not where I live in the Muslim area of Pattaya - the Thai Muslims have a normal working day during daylight so they can earn money to care for themselves and family. I would guess most Thai Muslims cannot afford not to work for a month.

BTW My Thai Muslim family & others I know do not "eat like starved animals for hours straight" during Ramadan, so your ugly comments are unwaranted.

Edited by LivinginKata
offensive quote removed

Not where I live in the Muslim area of Pattaya - the Thai Muslims have a normal working day so they can earn money to care for themselves and family. Can the Phuket Thai Muslims afford not to work for a month?

Ramadan month does not preclude Muslims from working. It's mainly about fasting during daylight hours. And they tend to over indulge with eating when the sun goes down.

I also live in the muslim area in Phuket. Normal life goes on quite the same as other times. Not eating during the day is not an problem, but not drinking is another issue.

There are slight changes to the routines. I had a older muslim woman who came to clean my home. Normally she liked to clean the garden and road as well, but during Ramadan that was my task. Working on the sunshine is not a good thing while drinking is not allowed.

Every now and then I go and buy a burger from local 7-11 if I can not find anything else around. Afternoons during ramadan I try not to do this as the muslim workers might not be too happy to smell the food. I do not respect any religion itself, and basically hate the people who try to push their religions and beliefs to others.. but at the same time I can respect the people/individuals who follow their community laws and traditions.

Not where I live in the Muslim area of Pattaya - the Thai Muslims have a normal working day during daylight so they can earn money to care for themselves and family. I would guess most Thai Muslims cannot afford not to work for a month.

BTW My Thai Muslim family & others I know do not "eat like starved animals for hours straight" during Ramadan, so your ugly comments are unwaranted.

Well the Muslims I have encoutered DO partake in thie behaviour. To the mods, this was & is an expression of my experiences, if we are taking even the slightest remark that COULD be deemed offensive down - then you have a lot of work to do! As i can find 100's!

Double standards, as with all things vaguely connected to religion and in particular those of an Islamic persuasion!