High Smoke Point Deep Frying Oil

ShopBoy

It seems that most types of oil are available here...corn, soy, palm. sunflower, safflower, peanut, etc...but some of them are quite costly. If I were you, I would probably search Google (because some people here know that I really like Google for general info) to see what the comparative smoke temp is of various oils, and then I would use that info to make an educated decision based on availability and cost.

One thing I seem to remember about smoke temp and oil is that olive oil actually becomes unhealthy (or at least loses its health benefits) when heated to the smoking point. I also seem to recall something about peanut oil being used on submarines because it can reach frying temp without creating smoke. But you should probably confirm that info if considering one of those oils.

Palm oil and soybean oil have high smoke points, but are not particular healthy. Rice bran oil is very healthy and probably the healthiest of the high smoke point oils. See this graphic for healthy oils and smoke points: Cooking-Oil-Comparison-Chart_02-22-12.pdf

But despite the misleading heading, the OP did not ask what oil is best, he asked how to store used frying oil. I have no idea, but maybe somebody else does.

By the way, while the most popular oils with Thais, palm oil and soybean oil, typically cost 38-48 baht a liter, rice bran oil often costs 100 baht or more. I recently discovered a brand of rice bran oil sold by Makro for only 54 baht a liter, which is a VERY good price for rice bran oil.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

Palm oil and soybean oil have high smoke points, but are not particular healthy. Rice bran oil is very healthy and probably the healthiest of the high smoke point oils. See this graphic for healthy oils and smoke points: attachicon.gifCooking-Oil-Comparison-Chart_02-22-12.pdf

But despite the misleading heading, the OP did not ask what oil is best, he asked how to store used frying oil. I have no idea, but maybe somebody else does.

By the way, while the most popular oils with Thais, palm oil and soybean oil, typically cost 38-48 baht a liter, rice bran oil often costs 100 baht or more. I recently discovered a brand of rice bran oil sold by Makro for only 54 baht a liter, which is a VERY good price for rice bran oil.

LOL -- You really shouldn't scold the members, especially when you are completely wrong.

Here's the OP's quote:

"anyone knows what is the most cost effective deep frying oil that can be bought locally"

Where does he say anything about storing it?

Oil Saturated Fat Mono Saturated Poly Unsaturated Smoke Point

Butter 66% 30% 4% 150 C

Ghee 65% 32% 3% 190 - 250

Canola 6% 62% 32% 242

Coconut 92% 6% 2% 177

Corn 13% 25% 62% 236

Lard 41% 47% 2% 138 - 201

Margarine 80% 14% 6% 150
Margarine soft 20% 47% 33% 150-160

Olive Oil virgin 14% 73% 11% 215

Palm 52% 38% 10% 230

Peanut 18% 49% 33% 231

Safflower 10% 13% 77% 265

Sesame 14% 43% 43% 177 - 232

High Temp oils (above 230 deg)
Corn Oil
Palm oil
Peanut oil
Safflower Oil
Sesame oil
sunflower oil

Medium Temp oils (above 190 deg)
Cottonseed
Ghee
Lard
Olive Oil
Canola Oil

General Ranking (you figure it out- ask google)
goodish:

Coconut Olive Canola
Olive Canola Flax
Avocado Peanut and Sesame Peanut
Canola Walnut and Flaxseed Olive
Peanut Safflower
Sunflower
not so goodish:
Then comes Corn, Sunflower, Safflower and Cottonseed oils which are not recommended for cooking. Really??

Bad Oils are:
Veg Shortening
Hard Margarine
Butter
Palm Oil
Palm Kernel Oil
Coconut

Ask Google, not me. Comments to Google, not me.