Police hunting for axe-wielding maniac in Bangkok's Chom Thong district

webfact

Thainess at it's Best rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Yes, easy to have a snigger at that one and the potential for the natives to lose it over the slightest of slights is always there, but it can just as easily be a case of nutter on the loose. Unfortunately, with the dire state of the (lack of) mental health industry here, there are crazies bumbling about all over Muang Thai.

I carry a "tactical tomahawk" in my car--ostensibly for camping purposes. There's just way more intimidation factor to an axe vs. other things like machetes (there's one of those in my trunk). When I am asked why I carry it, I just say "zombie outbreak", and that is often enough to stop the questions.

Wasn't that a Pink Floyd song? "Careful with that axe Somchai"

If a Thai had an argument with you, would you go to the trunk and get the better weapon, and engage?

Didn't the driver notice someone boarding the bus with an axe? Seems like it would be quite difficult to conceal in one's pocket. These assaults seem to be more and more frequent these days. It's a good thing I prefer driving myself and don't take busses or taxis anymore! All busses should require quality dash-cams and taxis should be required to have one too. This would help reducing these horrible acts since people are less likely to commit crimes and assaults when they know they're being watched.

Here we go again, didn't this, didn't that, hey ever thought it was in a bag or rolled up newspaper? The Thai visa investigation branch in full swing.

Swords in Taxis

Axes on buses

I feel so out of touch with the moving pace of Thai fashion, can anyone help me ....what is the cutlery of choice to put in my Mu7?

Swords in Taxis

Axes on buses

I feel so out of touch with the moving pace of Thai fashion, can anyone help me ....what is the cutlery of choice to put in my Mu7?

Double barrel 12 bore?

jb1

357 Magnum

Maybe some anger management classes are in order? But wait, do we have a new species here? Lesser homo sapiens sapiens? I they could get a few of these guys together, the taxi swordsman, the bus axeman, they could have live gladatorial bouts at the Dusit Zoo. People would love it. Or how about these 2, give them a bottle of lao khao each, their weapon of choice and put them into the chimpanzee enclosure and see how they do.... my money's still on the chimp.

• Like 1

Yep, that's an axe.

May be an axe to a city boy in Australia, but in the rest of the world it is a hatchet. The photo in post #8 is an axe, the difference being that an axe is made to be used with two hands whereas a hatchet is made to be used with one hand.

As there is no comparison to judge size of head, and no indication of the length of handle, I'll continue with the assumption that it is a cheap and nasty Thai version of an axe.

And having spent most of my life in rural areas cutting my own fire-wood, I would tend to go for block-splitter as an alternative.

Bury your hatchet in an appropriate crack.

• Like 1

Yep, that's an axe.

May be an axe to a city boy in Australia, but in the rest of the world it is a hatchet. The photo in post #8 is an axe, the difference being that an axe is made to be used with two hands whereas a hatchet is made to be used with one hand.

Sometimes also referred to as a tomahawk.

No - this is a picture of a hatchet. A tomahawk is different. Both very effective weapons as well as useful tools.

According to a source near to the BMTA, this is a new initiative to cut bus drivers who drive dangerously. Accordingly their hatchetman has to axe some 98% of all drivers or he’ll be for the chop.

• Like 1